• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I'm not having any luck with the search tool. I have a HK USP 45, trigger is decent but I'd like to get it a little lighter and crisper. HK sells the match trigger that's pricey and looks kinda hard to install. I'd prefer a local gunsmith who knows HKs. I also ran across this guy http://www.triggerwork.net on another forum. Anybody have any personal exerience with these triggers / suggestions??

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Avoid Bill Springfield. He USED to do great work, in the past few years something has changed and its not good at all.

HK Match Trigger is nice for a Single Stage S.A. with D.A. Capibilities.

The HK LEM will gove you a long, light D.A. pull that is like a 2 Stage Trigger, its nice as well. Reminds me of a Glock Trigger with a Factory Connector.

HK will install the sell/ install the trigger if you send them the gun.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks for the tip on Bill. I almost never shoot DA. I don't carry and I manually cock it when I'm plinking so it sounds like you're recommending the HK match. HKParts has the kit listed at $129 what do you think? Any chance of DIY without jacking up the gun - I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff but have enough experience to know that the guys who do it every day are way better.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As a USP owner, either send it to HK or go see a 'smith. :)

(Not saying it can't be done at home, but I'd gladly pay someone else to do it since they can be a PITA.)

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Any recommendations on a gunsmith in SMD?
    Does HK have a US service center?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Any recommendations on a gunsmith in SMD?
    Does HK have a US service center?

Southern MD, don't really know of anyone I'd take an HK too.

HK does have a facility in Dahlgren Va., it's where my USP .45 went to before I took delivery of it. Match trigger, tritium sights, ambi-controls.

If clandestine makes an offer, it's worth the drive, trust me. He does great work. :thumbsup:

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Hmmmm...I was kinda thinking the same thing. Haven't heard any offers yet though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hmmmm...I was kinda thinking the same thing. Haven't heard any offers yet though.

Don't take it personal, he's got a few months of backlog to clear before he can get any new stuff in.

The real downside to being good at your craft, there's always a backlog. But in the end, it's worth the wait.

Dec 6, 2011
    Buy the Wolff 10lb and 12lb springs. It'll only cost a couple bucks and installs in literally seconds.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Great idea! springs are on order. hopefully that'll do it since the trigger aint bad to start with. i can always order the match trigger later - thanks for all the advice!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    HK probably wont charge you, if anything but shipping.

If they wont assist and you cant find a smith let me know and Ill take the job.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks Clandestine,
    I'll play with the new spring while I'm thinking about the match trigger. I appreciate the offer - if HK can't help I'll let you know.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Never had any work done by the guy but found his site when I was surfing and bored one day.

http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/usp-hk45-p30/

Depending on your time frame, if H&K can't take care of it, I would just wait for Chad.

I took the H&K Armorers course a couple years ago for a job I was trying for. I would recommend not taking it down further than fieldstripping. They can be interesting.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    HKParts has the kit listed at $129 what do you think?
    There are currently about 1500 folks waiting on the Match kits to arrive in stock, with around 17-1800 wanting to be purchased. Based on inventory emails, less than 150 kits have shown up in the last 18 months.

I know firsthand, because I eventually gave up and sent off my urban grey USP .45 to get the kit installed by HK themselves for $129, minus the shipping to them -- which then meant I have to cannibalize it myself afterwards for the Match/LEM combo I want.

I've done about 2 dozen hybrids and similar for vanilla LEM or Match swaps for folks over the past few months, but I'm in the process of packing up for WV and scant on time!

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, send it to HK or Grey's Guns, though the latter's lead time has been extensive in past months, not sure about the present.

serth

Aug 14, 2012
    If you bought it new, having work done by a non-HK authorized smith will void your lifetime warranty.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    If you bought it new, having work done by a non-HK authorized smith will void your lifetime warranty.

Under the same Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that protects vehicle maintenance and modifications, it also applies to the warranty on firearms as consumer products.

Nowhere in the paperwork for my USPs, P2000sk or HK45C does it state that modifications with factory parts will void the warranty... only that it "should be" performed by an HK certified armorer.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Buy the Wolff 10lb and 12lb springs. It'll only cost a couple bucks and installs in literally seconds.
    One thing I found out about the Wolf springs in my USP-Compact is that the 10# recoil spring took 2 hammer strikes to fire any of the Russian ammo. USA ammo was not a problem. So since I was also swapping 9mm/357Sig barrels back and forth I found that the 12# recoil spring was a good compromise in which everything worked 100%. Mine is the multimode module that has the de-cocker and DA 1st round or cocked and locked with the safety on all SA.
    The DA pull, while still as long is now a lot smoother and easier and the SA pull is almost as good as my STI. When I had the 10# spring in there the SA pull was very light, but I did not have a trigger gauge then to test it with.

Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    Avoid Bill Springfield. He USED to do great work, in the past few years something has changed and its not good at all.

HK Match Trigger is nice for a Single Stage S.A. with D.A. Capibilities.

The HK LEM will gove you a long, light D.A. pull that is like a 2 Stage Trigger, its nice as well. Reminds me of a Glock Trigger with a Factory Connector.

HK will install the sell/ install the trigger if you send them the gun.

I had my HK USP 45 worked by Bill last month. He tuned it to match specs with the trigger set screw and the SA action is great, gritty feeling is gone and breaks like glass. DA trigger pull became heavier. One issue I had was the replacement spring that he put it won't let my magazine fall when released when the hammer is cocked. I looked at it and the spring gets out of alignment and leans to the mag. I filed the ends of the spring and solved that.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I had my HK USP 45 worked by Bill last month. He tuned it to match specs with the trigger set screw and the SA action is great, gritty feeling is gone and breaks like glass. DA trigger pull became heavier. One issue I had was the replacement spring that he put it won't let my magazine fall when released when the hammer is cocked. I looked at it and the spring gets out of alignment and leans to the mag. I filed the ends of the spring and solved that.

It may feel great now but it you take apart the gun and look at the work its most likely terrible and unsafe.

Your spring situation proves my point, it shouldn't have left that way.

Unless he had an upswing of quality work I would send that gun back to HK and have it brought back to factory specs.

Having A.D.'s and your gun going full auto is a problem I have seen one too many times from his work.

Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    It may feel great now but it you take apart the gun and look at the work its most likely terrible and unsafe.

Your spring situation proves my point, it shouldn't have left that way.

Unless he had an upswing of quality work I would send that gun back to HK and have it brought back to factory specs.

Having A.D.'s and your gun going full auto is a problem I have seen one too many times from his work.

I received the HK match triggger that I ordered from ManVenture today, looked up some how-to's online and watch youtube videos on disassembly/assembly and just finished doing the install. Totally different gun IMHO.

Here's the thing. After I received my lower from Bill, I thought the trigger set screw that I paid for was inside, I didn't know it was in the trigger pull itself to prevent over travel. Guess what, Bill did not install it. :mad54: I did not see any signs of part/s that were "worked" on when I disassembled it. Just emailed him about the screw and hammer spring issues to see what he says or maybe refund my $85 (wishful thinking)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom