• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    I'm looking to move spring of 2020 to VA. More specifically around the Leesburg/Purcellville/Winchester/Round Hill areas. At least those are the ones we are looking at right now. Any suggestions/recommendations on those or others? I will be working in Reston/Chantilly come November 2019.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I'm between Winchester and Gore. Moved here this past Thanksgiving. This is Heaven on Earth. Even going to the store is a pleasure. Gun laws good, people are better. I'm not real sociable so don't come in contact with too many people, but haven't run into any unpleasant people since I've been here. No matter where you go it beats Md.

Good luck to you.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm looking to move spring of 2020 to VA. More specifically around the Leesburg/Purcellville/Winchester/Round Hill areas. At least those are the ones we are looking at right now. Any suggestions/recommendations on those or others? I will be working in Reston/Chantilly come November 2019.

Round hill is a great area. Having said that, if you have kids look into South Riding. That’s where I live and it truly reminds me of my childhood. Lots of kids playing outside, riding bikes, fishing in the ponds etc. if you don’t have kids, then those things may not matter.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    We moved from Columbia, MD to Round Hill, VA a little over a month ago after commuting for about a year. So far we really like it. Good people, lots of kids for our kids to play with, lots of outdoors activities, and a relaxed pace to life. The fact that no part of my normal day involves getting anywhere near the beltway is a real upgrade too.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Thank you for the suggestions!! We are no where near making a firm decision of course ...

South Riding is so very expensive though. We attended St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church yesterday and was nice but the echo was a killer. They have a home school co-op I am to understand. We have two teenagers and one soon-to-be so having kids in the area would be nice.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I moved to Virginia from Maryland in 2010. A very good decision.
    One of the few drawbacks with living in Virginia is the personal property tax once a year and this is a matter that I can live with.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'm seriously considering retiring to either Winchester or Martinsburg, WV. Maybe Berkley Springs, WV. Not sure which.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm seriously considering retiring to either Winchester or Martinsburg, WV. Maybe Berkley Springs, WV. Not sure which.

As much as I would welcome like minded people like you to VA, my advice would be to go to WV. VA is rapidly trying to become MD. :mad54:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    As much as I would welcome like minded people like you to VA, my advice would be to go to WV. VA is rapidly trying to become MD. :mad54:

That's why I'm considering it. I'm a North-South Skirmish Association member, so having the main range (5 miles north of Winchester) on my doorstep is awfully tempting. But I don't want to be forced to move again after the Escape From Maryland.

Ah, well. Perhaps the horse will learn to sing, and SCOTUS will get off its keister and do their job.

Cyndi59

I'm in Falls Church and a frequent Walmarts shopper..two weeks ago while shopping at the Walmarts in Vienna at Spring Hill..I always open carried and was told I had to conceal it.The greeter there is Pro-2A so now I conceal carry while shopping there and then on the way home I stopped at McD's in Falls Plaza and in my face.."No Handguns" allowed,I still go to McD's..I just conceal it.Thing is,places like these invite and welcome a armed individual to come in and commit what they do best.I would rather save and defend a life and face whatever consequences the law then see a life lost.A criminal has nothing to lose to start with.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Having escaped MD to WV back in 2014 I hear you all. I never open carry as I think its ridiculous but to each his own. Yes all WMs even the ones in WV are now no open carry. Although McDonalds has a company policy of no firearms they tend to ignore open carry even in their restaurants here. I only conceal carry anyway so I don't care.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

just make sure you consider traffic in your decision. do some test runs during morning and afternoon rush. going east on 7 in the morning from leesburg and points west is not fun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    just make sure you consider traffic in your decision. do some test runs during morning and afternoon rush. going east on 7 in the morning from leesburg and points west is not fun.

If I were out that far west and worked in Reston or Chantilly, I'd just use the Greenway every day. Route 7 has too many lights, which causes all of the backups.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thankfully as of early October that one real bad light on 7 is gone. Depending on when one leaves for work, 7 can be fine or annoying, but at least it is not the beltway. I tend to go in early and leave early when I am home, so I have no major issues with it. Worst case scenario is about a 45 minute commute if I dawdle and end up in rush hour traffic. My normal commute is 25-30 minutes to Sterling/Reston/Ashburn/Chantilly area, which does not bother me. Not enough of a time savings to pay a toll 2x per day On 267 unless traffic is real bad.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Our plan, which is always changing, is to store our stuff, live in the RV to sell our house, and then park it at Watermelon Park (or another around there). At least then we'll be able to get down what the best way/times would be. Thank you for all the comments ... it's really helped.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    If I were out that far west and worked in Reston or Chantilly, I'd just use the Greenway every day. Route 7 has too many lights, which causes all of the backups.

7 backs up pretty good in places, before you get to leesburg/greenway.

i moved to hamilton some 15+ years ago, used to take me a minute or two to get out to 9 and hop on 7. now it's like 10-15 mins just to do that, f-ing traffic circles and all that extra traffic over the years.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    I’ve been doing the commute from Mt. Airy to Chantilly for a couple of months now. It’s about an hour at 0600 and I get in around 0700 + or - some days. We are looking heavily at Berryville now. As with anything it’s a work in progress. Berryville opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom