• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    A couple of questions for members who are knowledgeable about the engineering behind assembling and AR15.

I read that using locktite when threading the buffer tube in the lower receiver is recommended. Google engineering once again shows that there are two camps split 50/50 for and against. Thoughts?

The second question. When torquing the barrel nut down I also read that there are a not insignificant number of gunsmiths who recommend using locktite as a lubricant not anti seize when torquing the barrel nut. Thoughts?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Unnecessary unless you have one of those aluminum barrel nuts that specifically call for it since they can't be torqued to spec. The castle nut does fine for holding the receiver extension in place as long as it's torqued and staked properly. The barrel nut threads should be greased and as long as it's crush fitted and then torqued properly, it's not walking off either.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Unnecessary unless you have one of those aluminum barrel nuts that specifically call for it since they can't be torqued to spec. The castle nut does fine for holding the receiver extension in place as long as it's torqued and staked properly. The barrel nut threads should be greased and as long as it's crush fitted and then torqued properly, it's not walking off either.

Thanks for the advice.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Unnecessary, and also loctite (even the red) will break down when the gun gets really hot, which it does after a few mags! I honestly dont know why people recommend loctite when it basically just turns to carbon. I have one of those aluminum barel nuts and I think it's pointless. You dont really need to torque the barrel nut to a bazillion lbs. 35-40, it's not coming off.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I've used loctite on the barrel extension to upper for bedding, and it didn't seem to have degraded much when I tried to take the upper apart. I suppose your shooting habits would affect what temperatures the loctite sees.

That being said, I wouldn't use loctite on the barrel nut to receiver.

And no, loctite on the buffer tube is not recommend. Staking the castle nut is.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Aeroshell 33ms is the grease to use for the barrel nut and the receiver extension (aka buffer tube). Stake the castle nut, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom