• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm just getting started getting the needed things together which is why I found your post so good. For the record, I bought a tumbler and media, and a hand depriming tool and hand primer, so just getting ready to reload soon I hope. The hand deprimer came highly recommended by a friend who reloads A LOT and I have to say I enjoy being able to sit on the couch and deprime, and prime. Less time sitting at a press for me is better, but I don't expect to reload 1,000s of rounds either.

If you would like, I'd be willing to teach you how to reload, when you are ready to take the plunge and start reloading.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Price and different action were what I was concerned about but as everyone here says "buy once, cry once" if it is a good press I'd imagine it would last a lifetime and you wouldn't have to upgrade.

I learned how to reload on an RCBS RockChucker that is about 30-35 years old. My dad bought it way back then from The Gun Shack in Mt. Airy for 50-75 bucks back then. He then picked up the bolt on (?) priming system for 20-25 bucks more. My dad has reloaded thousands of rounds on his press, and I have reloaded thousands more on his press since he taught me how to reload.

Price is part of the equation, but never equate price with quality. A RockChucker will do the same thing as a Lee, Hornady, or a Lyman. Once you start getting up to the Forster presses, you are using them because you can't get _____ out of the RCBS/Lyman/Lee/Hornady. It is easier to start/learn on a run of the mill single stage press (that doesn't cost a small fortune) that will last you for many years, than something that you will never recoup your investment until you reach 20k+ rounds created.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am adding this in the OP, so that you guys will know why I won't be around much during the time frame listed in this section. When I return I will edit most of that section from the OP.

TEMPORARY ADDITION: As a note to those who post up with things that I have missed/not added. I am not ignoring, nor rejecting your idea out of hand by not placing it in this post. I am updating/maintaining it in my free time around work, sleep, and family. I'm doing my best to stay on top of all suggestions, but sometimes I may let something slip through the cracks, and for that I apologize. Furthermore, I am giving 3 week notice to all members who wish for me to update/add anything, that I will be using just my phone to do minor updates/responses from 11/27/13-12/8/13. I will not be adding links, nor do any serious editing. It will just be simple stuff during deer season. All serious submissions need to be in by 11/24/13, so they can be completed before 11/27/13, or they will be taken care of after I return.

MDcompetition

Anti-poacher
    MDS Supporter
    May 8, 2013
    Baltimore, MD.
    Thank you DA for taking the considerable amount of your time to elaborate on the initial steps of beginning to hand load. I know that most of whom are hand loading already grasp the reality, and necessity of the subject. In today's fragile world it is foolish to count on the convenience of purchasing ammunition anymore. Carry on.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I recommend linking up with someone to show you their process and then buying equipment piece meal. If you go with a kit, you'll likely buy some extras anyway to replace stuff & add to what you get in the kit, and in the end I don't think it's any cheaper.

One of the extras that you may want to consider is the Lee Universal 3 Jaw Chuck. You can put it in your cordless drill and it makes case prep a LOT easier and it's a lot cheaper than getting one of the case prep centers.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    One of the extras that you may want to consider is the Lee Universal 3 Jaw Chuck. You can put it in your cordless drill and it makes case prep a LOT easier and it's a lot cheaper than getting one of the case prep centers.

When I do case prep on smaller cases, I put my half inch drill in the large bench vise. Then install the small case cutter with case length gauge. Set it to low speed and trim cases.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Kit is nice to get enough stuff to reload at one time.

I started with a kit, and while some parts are not used, the cost savings was enough to make it work for me.

Piece meal may net you a better setup to start, but you are more likely to find you forgot something and can't continue.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    DA - Thanks for the info (and thread) - this is very helpful as I have ZERO experience with reloading and was looking for some direction. Looking to just do .308 for hunting with a Savage bolt so don't need a high volume setup.

Was eyeballing the Lee 4 turret press or should I just stick with a single stage press?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    DA - Thanks for the info (and thread) - this is very helpful as I have ZERO experience with reloading and was looking for some direction. Looking to just do .308 for hunting with a Savage bolt so don't need a high volume setup.

Was eyeballing the Lee 4 turret press or should I just stick with a single stage press?

Start off with a single stage and see if you want to go further. If you want to go further, them comes the discussion about turret or progressive presses.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Leadbutt

Sep 14, 2015
    Nice write up and thx for taking the time to help ppl who are interested in this obsession. The only thing that I would strongly disagree with is tumbling cases after you load them. The loaded rounds wont detonate in the vibe tumbler or anything but what does happen is the grains of powder will break down smaller and after a while turn to dust. That is not good at all. The pressures will not be consistent. The recipe for the load you are using calls for certain powders with certain grains. If you break down the grains then you throw off the whole thing.

L. Bottoms

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Nice write up and thx for taking the time to help ppl who are interested in this obsession. The only thing that I would strongly disagree with is tumbling cases after you load them. The loaded rounds wont detonate in the vibe tumbler or anything but what does happen is the grains of powder will break down smaller and after a while turn to dust. That is not good at all. The pressures will not be consistent. The recipe for the load you are using calls for certain powders with certain grains. If you break down the grains then you throw off the whole thing.

L. Bottoms
    You tumble after you fire the rounds, to clean the spent/fired brass, to prevent scratching your dies and the chamber of the gun. Also it makes the brass look good.

Can you explain where in my post that I said to tumble live ammo or even alluded to tumbling live ammo?

Leadbutt

Sep 14, 2015
    Um..... I cant. I guess I was a lil tired and read it wrong. I went back and re-read your post and was like "damn. guess I look silly". Sorry bout that. But I do still stand by my comment "nice write up".

L. Bottoms

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    You can tumble loaded ammo. In fact, the ammo manufacturers do it. Also, the breaking down of powder grains due to tumbling has been thoroughly debunked. It's an an old wive's tale.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You can tumble loaded ammo. In fact, the ammo manufacturers do it. Also, the breaking down of powder grains due to tumbling has been thoroughly debunked. It's an an old wive's tale.

Have a good buddy who shoots Camp Perry every year. He tumbles all his loaded ammo.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom