• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Boeshield leaves a heavy, slightly waxy coating.
    Will not run off like oils. Which is a big problem with long term storage.

Just read about Boeshield T-9. I'm assuming you are using T-9. Do you just spray it on and wipe it off while it is wet? Should I spray it on and let it dry before trying to wipe off any excess? This might actually be the ticket for the guns my dad rarely, if ever, uses. Could my dad just pick up a gun and start using it with this stuff on the gun? How often do you have to re-apply the Boeshield?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    What do you have against gun socks? I have three guns in tight fitting gun socks and don't worry about them.

I just knew that somebody would have to ask. It is pretty simple. If I am going to put these guns toward the back of the safe since they are rarely used, I don't want to have to move guns out of the way to visually inspect them. I have a problem believing what I cannot see. So, even though you put yours in the socks and do not worry about them, I would. Not only that, but if I were to call my dad and ask him how the guns look, there is NO way he would root through the safe to get to the ones in the back, pull them out, take off the gun socks, and then call me back. Tough enough just to get him to go to the safe, open it, look the guns over without having to move them all around, and call me back with a status on them.

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    I personally started a project in 2011, by coating my handguns in this lubricant that came in a syringe (can't remember the name...), placed in a silicone sock and then vacuum packed. Redundant, but oxygen and moisture are not my personal friends that I want tainting my firearms.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    swabbed a rifle down with Rigg grease. 10 years later when I took it out of the safe to cleaned it again, not a speck of rust.

Good luck

Jerry

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    What do you have against gun socks? I have three guns in tight fitting gun socks and don't worry about them.

Socks are always controversial, with or without birkenstocks.

Seriously, people seem to love and hate them but I choose to keep mine in socks and bore stores, so I can pack the safe fairly tight but limit small dings and scratches (though a sock wont stop a hard hit). But they still breath.

The only people who I know that have had trouble with socks have put them on guns that were wet or used them to carry in and out of the field.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    For sidearms you aren't going to use (plastic grips only, no wood) put them in the bottom of a bucket fillet with motor oil. You just have to let them drip dry a bit before cleaning off/out the excess before shooting.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Just read about Boeshield T-9. I'm assuming you are using T-9. Do you just spray it on and wipe it off while it is wet? Should I spray it on and let it dry before trying to wipe off any excess? This might actually be the ticket for the guns my dad rarely, if ever, uses. Could my dad just pick up a gun and start using it with this stuff on the gun? How often do you have to re-apply the Boeshield?

Spray it and leave it.

Does not require removal for operation.
    But is kind of heavy for lockwork.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Different products, different uses.

BreakFree is not designed as a long term protectant, just like WD-40 is not designed a lubricant.

I have stored guns for over 15 years without ANY special care. In soft and hard cases, with and without foam, long guns and pistols, all without desiccant. On most of them, they were wiped down with Birchwood Casey Sheath (now Barricade) before putting them away. The others were wiped down with Rem Oil.

Accelerated tests are fine, but my experience is real life over 15 years of storage without being touched.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Different products, different uses.

BreakFree is not designed as a long term protectant, just like WD-40 is not designed a lubricant.

I have stored guns for over 15 years without ANY special care. In soft and hard cases, with and without foam, long guns and pistols, all without desiccant. On most of them, they were wiped down with Birchwood Casey Sheath (now Barricade) before putting them away. The others were wiped down with Rem Oil.

Accelerated tests are fine, but my experience is real life over 15 years of storage without being touched.

Well, here is my experience after about 3 years of not checking on these firearms. New house, new kid, and tons of other issues kept me from checking on them. Finally got around to it and this is what I found. Luckily, the rust I found on a couple was only slight surface rust and not any terrible pitting. Still kills me to see rust on the guns. The bright glowing stuff is mold on the wood.

Meanwhile, I have a slug barrel and scope in a foam lined case in my garage here for 2 1/2 years and not a spot of rust on it.

Attachments

• MdShooters6.JPG
      MdShooters6.JPG
      37.2 KB · Views: 248

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    I've been using Frog Lube and found it to work really well. I use the paste type and after letting it sit on the weapon for a while, i simply wipe it down to leave a fine film on it and put it away. My safe has dehumidifier(rechargeable) and I check on them frequently. Also, I never handle a firearm I am working on without Nitrile gloves on.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I use a goldenrod and 1,200 grams of desicant in my safes. The problem I am trying to address is the safe at my parents' place. I store a couple of my guns over there and my dad has several of his own in the safe. Well, I went over there during the week and the guns with woods stocks had mold on them, the Browning A5 had rust on it, and a couple of mine had what looked like mold all over the barrels. I had 2,700 grams of desicant in his safe and it was soaked. I don't think he ever checks it or recharges it in the oven. His safe does not have power, or even a hole in the rear to run a power cord, so no electric dehumidifier in his safe. So, I am trying to avoid having to worry about driving to his place every couple of weeks to check on his guns and the few I have over there. Not too worried about the ones I have here.

I used to use this hanging stuff in a box for mold prevention in my boat over the winter.

I'm curious, Over how long of a period of time did this mold appear?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I used to use this hanging stuff in a box for mold prevention in my boat over the winter.

I'm curious, Over how long of a period of time did this mold appear?

I have not checked on the guns for about 3 years. Now, whether it happened after 12 months, 3 months, or what have you, I have no idea. I used to check on them about monthly and then moved into a new house and stopped visiting at my parents as much because they would always come up here on a weekly basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom