• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    Latest Car and Driver magazine have a 25% coupon. PM me if you need it and I will scan it and email it to you.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I don't think they've had stock for a long time. FWIW, you DONT want the one w/ the tilting column. Its far less rigid than the fixed column ones (and thats already a big problem on those little machines.) This gets discussed often at the CAMS CNC meetings (but I don't pay too much attention because my machines are bigger:)) There are probably a dozen cnc converted X1s around. There is a new one (sieg?) in that same price range that comes w/ the extended travel tables already, belt drive AC motor for the head (vs DC w/ crappy plastic gears that strip), and better lead screws. Looked to be well worth the money. I'll email to see what brand it was...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Got a reply. This is the one: http://lmscnc.com/4700

Bigger 6x12 XY travel vs 4x9. Real 0.050"/turn imperial leadscrews vs the 1.5mm pitch (0.059") on the HF. You won't get a HF discount and have to ship it so it will cost a little more, so prob not an apples to apples comparison. But same 'list' price.

Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    smdub - that LMS version seams to be the best of the SIEG SX1P Micro Mill clones. Just have to decide if it is worth the extra $$ over the HF version.

There is a Harbor freight close to me so I am going to see if they have one. Not sure how the out of stock online affects the retail stores.

Thanks all for the help.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    From what Im told, HF doesn't carry any X1s anymore. There was a blowout sale last year when they discontinued it. Something like $250 iirc, but it had the really small tables. (The small table one seemed like a deal but by the time you upgraded those to the larger tables you were in for about the same $ as the newer Sieg.) Some CNC members snapped them up and even still have some in crates. But maybe that was only the rigid column version that got discontinued? I see the one you linked is a tilt column. The consensus at the cnc meetings is you don't want one of those. Rigidity problems and wont stay trammed. And side by side they say the Sieg is a better machine. There was one (LMS 4700) at the meeting last week. Looked nice for the size. Their only complaint is the Z axis bearing surface is a little short to be converted to cnc (same as the other X1s though.) They're already hatching plans to convert it to linear slides;)

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Got a reply. This is the one: http://lmscnc.com/4700

Bigger 6x12 XY travel vs 4x9. Real 0.050"/turn imperial leadscrews vs the 1.5mm pitch (0.059") on the HF. You won't get a HF discount and have to ship it so it will cost a little more, so prob not an apples to apples comparison. But same 'list' price.

What is the difference between the 2MT and R8 spindle? I've heard people say the R8 is the one you want, but I've never heard of 2MT.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    2MT = #2 morse taper. R8 is what the ubiquitous Bridgeport uses. So fairly cheap and very avail. But NONE of these small mills have the balls or rigidity to use tooling as large as R8 can hold (about 3/4") though something like a 1/4" end mill is fine. But a 1/4" endmill can be held in a MT2 collet or end mill holder just as well too. There is plenty of MT2 tooling avail too (lots of import avail now.) For these tiny machines R8 is overkill and drives the cost up due to the large bearings required to house a bigger spindle.

On the next size up machines - the ones in the 300#+ category, R8 is nice. You still can't use it to its fullest extent but the machines themselves are starting to get large enough the alternatives are starting to be limiting (MT2 is too small and BS9/MT3/etc are rarer)

Last edited:

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    2MT = #2 morse taper. R8 is what the ubiquitous Bridgeport uses. So fairly cheap and very avail. But NONE of these small mills have the balls or rigidity to use tooling as large as R8 can hold (about 3/4") though something like a 1/4" end mill is fine. But a 1/4" endmill can be held in a MT2 collet or end mill holder just as well too. There is plenty of MT2 tooling avail too (lots of import avail now.) For these tiny machines R8 is overkill and drives the cost up due to the large bearings required to house a bigger spindle.

Thanks.

For someone finishing some 80% lowers, would a Sieg SX2 offer any advantages?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    For someone finishing some 80% lowers, would a Sieg SX2 offer any advantages?

Tough call. Bigger almost always makes things easier and faster. But if you're not going to do ANYTHING else with it I don't know that I'd bother.

Many of the slightly bigger machines I have trouble with is that they are squarely in the price market of bigger used american iron. Burkes, Millrites, Banchmasters, Rockwells, and even Hardinge TMs can be had for under $1k. Heck, round ram Bridgeports can be found for that. Then its just no comparison. The advantage of the X1/X2/etc is they're portable. Everything american is typ 500-1000#+. Moveable in pcs w/ a compact car and hand truck but once assembled you aren't going to be taking them to a buddy's house;) I typ don't bat an eye at moving heavy equip as I have over 10,000# of old iron at the house but not everyone is nuts about machines like I am:)

That said, one of the imports that I am more impressed by is the Grizzly G0704/0705. It really isn't much bigger floor footprint than a X2. But weights north of 300# (=3x as much (a GOOD thing for rigidity.)) There is a guy in the cnc group that has converted one and we've had a good look at it. Pretty decent as far as imports go.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704
    For the same footprint and similar money (but 2.5x more weight!) I'd pick an old Rockwell (and have as my smallest machine.) But you'd have to hunt for one of those.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    One thing I would suggest is putting your hands on a machine before you buy it. The HF machine tools stuff is almost purely junk. Maybe something from Enco would work for 80% lowers or even a decent bench top drill with a X/Y table. The biggest curse of machining is you always 'need' a bigger machine that the one you have.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom