• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I like to shoot .45 colt from time to time and thought about one of those hand loader kits for under $30. Is this folly? If not, any tips, suggestions? I don’t want to invest in a hand press. I don’t think, i do not.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not worth it IMO
    If you don’t shoot much then get Factory.
    To reload you are going to be investing time in learning and gaining knowledge and experience so an inexpensive Lee press and dies is not that much more.

If you want to try it to get your feet wet sure but it may also turn you off cause it’s not the same as a press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Doable.

But the basic Lee bench press has allowed me to reload .45LC, and that caliber alone, for several years. It would be easier to do 50 or 100 that way.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Thanks, all. What does it cost to get into a simple bench loader?
    Yes, i saw the hand kits for about $30. I don’t want to blow myself or anold colt up.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    In 1972 I started reloading 5,56MM with the Lee Loader and used it for years.
    As I added more rifles to my collection I turned to the Lyman Turret press.

Attachments

• Leeloader.jpg
      Leeloader.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 1,040

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Go with the hand press for like $40 and a die set for about $30. The Classic Loader doesn't size the cases all the way and doesn't consistently crimp.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As long as you fire them in the same gun, not an issue . With a little practice, you can get decent crimps .

Answer #1 - They're legit, they work , and with attention to detail, can produce surprisingly accurate ammo njn . As noted , the absolute low capital investment to do reloading , and very fast return on investment with a cal like .45Colt .

Answer #2 - They're Slow . They're Noisy . They're Really Slow .

It's a slippery slope , but a cpl different avenues for better ( quicker, more versatile ) setups for $100-ish , particularly if you get some flavor of used press .

It's your choice to decide your priorities of low cost / compact storage, and speed , no absolute right or wrong .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Lee loaders have introduced thousands of people to reloading, including me. If you like it then you will have a new hobby. You can then add presses, dies, accessories, etc. as you need them.

Natchez has them for $28.49.
    https://www.natchezss.com/lee-classic-loader-45-colt.html

Add a Lee Manual for $15.99.
    https://www.natchezss.com/lee-modern-reloading-manual-2nd-edition.html

If you don't like reloading then pass them along to someone else. I think everyone should have a Lee loader for the calibers they shoot just in case the SHTF.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you plan to reload on the move as in a SHTF bug out, sure. Otherwise a single stage press is not that expensive and overall I think better.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I started reloading for my Argentine Mauser in 1967 with a then Lee-Lyman 310 "nutcracker" set, because the ammo was scarce and expensive even then. I graduated to a simple Lee bench top single stage press a couple of years ago to load 9x18 Makarov and never looked back. My logic: There will be another Dimocrat administration, and if I shoot a caliber and ammo becomes regulated and scarce/expensive, I want to be able to load my own. The basic setup is really not that expensive (cost of less than a case of .45 LC), and a set of dies is also cheap.

Critical advice: I'd also invest in a decent set of "balance beam" scales to weigh your powder charge occasionally. That's what will cause a big bang if you screw up! I still use the set I bought in 1967.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    In 1976 at the age of 16 I started with a Lee loader and a .303 British SMLE. I produced decent accuracy loads with that combo and got me hooked on reloading. I bought powder and primers at hendershot's no questions asked. I didn't know about seating depth so just matched some factory loads I had.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Likewise in the same era , a reloading mentor was using Lee Loader to load MOA ammo for his '06 .

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Based on tests by Precision Shooting magazine, the RCBS Partner press is the way to go. According to their tests, the inexpensive Partner press produced ammo with less run out than much more expensive presses! I loaded everything from rifle to pistol ammo on it. I used mine for decades before recently switching to a Rock Chucker press. Still use the Partner for priming. That press is probably 40 years old!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom