• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A quiery for the AR-fluent amoung the membership. I did a web search and read up. But first....

I have recently put an assembled 300 BLK upper on a lower assembly. It is a budget build.
    The lower particulars:
    - Anderson lower receiver;
    - assembled utilizing a PSA 6 position stock,
    standard weight buffer and spring;
    - S & W LPK and stoned single stage fcg;
    - K2 pistol grip

The upper:
    - preassembled from Brownells;
    - 16” barrel with carbine gas system, A2 birdcage;
    - heavy bolt carrier;
    - light free float handguard;
    - sighting, MBUS front/rear, TRS 25 on handguard rear

Nothing earth shattering but shoots sound, fires, cycles correctly and accuracy is good.

Shooting offhand and using Federal 150 grain supersonic 1900 fps ammo it shoots predictably. Recoil is heavier than 223/5.56 and it tends to pull the muzzle to the right after the bullet is in flight. Not at all unmanageable. It reminds me of the DPMS 308 Classic I had, just nowhere near as hefty. Returning the muzzle to the target is simple enough.

Now that the info on the arm is presented my quiery. What has been the group’s experiences with smoothing out the recoil impulse, if that is doable to a reasonable degree? Buffer weight, spring force and so on.

Attachments

• 78C05F82-B813-4AB9-8E81-89F957A9BAFC.jpeg
      78C05F82-B813-4AB9-8E81-89F957A9BAFC.jpeg
      59.6 KB · Views: 196
    • 99E0D6D0-D1E9-497C-8916-13DA93E27AE6.jpeg
      99E0D6D0-D1E9-497C-8916-13DA93E27AE6.jpeg
      54.9 KB · Views: 190
    • D1921AD8-5FA0-48CC-81CE-227F5ECED7B1.jpeg
      D1921AD8-5FA0-48CC-81CE-227F5ECED7B1.jpeg
      79.4 KB · Views: 203

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    SLR gas block is really your best option. Heavier buffer will only result in more reciprocating mass slamming rearward.

The fact that you say your gun runs, feeds, and cycles well, tells me it may be a little over gassed. Not a bad thing at all. That means it probably won't be picky with ammo. The adjustable GB(I would only consider the SLR) will allow you to tame the amount of gas required to allow your rifle to cycle dependably without over powering the action.

Also, by pulling the rifle butt in closer to your torso centerline and standing more squarely to your target will help lessen the up and to the right(for right handed shooters) recoil effect.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You dont know it yet, but you want a suppressor for that thing. You will want an adjustable gas block because with a can you may run into feeding issues. Turns out, adjustable gas block also lets you tune the gas, see #2.

The other thing I notice is that its looks like you have just a flash hider. Besides your stance, some sort of muzzle brake will tame the recoil, reduce muzzle movement, and allow faster follow up shots. You can get an idea what designs work here: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/308-muzzle-brake-test/ Designs like 3-chamber brakes that work well in 223 also work well for bigger cartridges so look at those 223 tests as well.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you don't feel like replacing your GB, adjustable BCs are also fairly effective. I have both the Bootleg and Gemtech BCs, and they work as advertised. Bootleg is much better, though.

Going to a brake is a fairly drastic step in comparison, but a good one will indeed reduce perceived recoil. The bad news is that it may make your gun rather unpleasant in certain environments.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    brakes make your gun annoying... but the loudness ois related to the recoil reduction. The ones tested (link post #3), I can tell you first hand because I own some, the winners in recoil reduction are also LOUD. They work though, my 308 is as soft as a kitten.

For 7.62x39 / 300 blk (same, ballistically) the recoil is not that stout, maybe pick one of the 308 type brakes in the middle to bottom of the pack (30-50% recoil reduction rather than 75%). It will be less annoying while still taming some recoil. Some of the hybrid types like the AFAB and PWS are popular because they also act as flash hiders. the hybrid types run near the middle of the pack insofar as recoil reduction, and so are not as loud.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Get the strike industries j-comp. I've got the 5.56 version and it's amazeballz. It's pretty effective at eliminating recoil, but doesn't really shoot a blast wave back at your sinuses like other comps. I'm currently debating in my head if I want to toss one on my 8.5" 300blk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom