• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a Martini-Henry barrel with a corrosion ring ~1/64-1/32" deep etched into the rifling around 4" from the crown. It looks like the barrel was stored with something stuffed down the barrel (tompion, maybe?). The barrel is definitely not pristine, but the rest of the rifling back to the chamber is excellent and worth keeping.

I want to be able to shoot the barrel, but also want to maintain it's original external appearance, so cutting it down from its current 33" length isn't an option. It will be shot with paper-patched bullets, so a sharp-edged etched concentric ring in the rifling would cause accuracy problems.

I have yet to find a smith who can create a taper-bored replacement barrel with 7-groove Henry-style rifling, although Bob Hoyt has successfully made replacement Martini-Henry barrels with a straight bore and conventional rifling.

Does anybody see any issues with lathe counterboring down past the ring to create a new "crown"?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    How does it shoot now? If it's within 4" at 100 yards off a rest I'd leave it alone. What was the standard for them back in the day?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    How does it shoot now? If it's within 4" at 100 yards off a rest I'd leave it alone. What was the standard for them back in the day?

It doesn't shoot anything right now, and I haven't shot it since acquiring it because it wasn't functional. It's completely stripped down for component inspection and to replace worn & broken parts. If I'm going to have it counterbored, the time to do that is now while the barrel is removed.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    I don't see a problem with it in general. The Russians did it to piles of 91-30s
    at arsenal overhaul. 4 inches is deeper then most I've seen but I would think it would work. A large brass machine screw with some valve lapping coumpound at the end should take off the lathe tool marks and get a smooth crown back.
    I am not a gunsmith, but a long term hard core tinker

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've seen M1903 rifles counter bored a few times. Apparently the military did it to save otherwise good barrels after it suffered some overly aggressive cleaning from the front end rather than through the breech.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Whats the OD at the muzzle and the bore diameter would be helpful. Has the barrel already been removed from the body? I have seen counter bored barrels and have read of mixed results. If the bore has been drilled off axis of the barrel profile is where it could go bad without careful set-up. 4 " is quite a stretch but the right person could do it I bet.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I don't see a problem with it in general. The Russians did it to piles of 91-30s
    at arsenal overhaul. 4 inches is deeper then most I've seen but I would think it would work. A large brass machine screw with some valve lapping coumpound at the end should take off the lathe tool marks and get a smooth crown back.
    I am not a gunsmith, but a long term hard core tinker

Good idea on the lapping.

4" is deep, but the overall barrel is 33", so it's not that bad as a percentage of barrel.

If I wasn't loading 577/450 paper patched rounds for the rifle, I probably wouldn't worry about the ring. But the paper will probably get ripped and compressed in random ways as it goes through the "ring" and hits the sharp edge of the rifling on the other side of the concentric trench. Shooting it would be the only way to really see what, if any, the effect is, but I'd rather fix the known problem before reassembly than feel a need to remove the barrel again to fix it.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Whats the OD at the muzzle and the bore diameter would be helpful. Has the barrel already been removed from the body? I have seen counter bored barrels and have read of mixed results. If the bore has been drilled off axis of the barrel profile is where it could go bad without careful set-up. 4 " is quite a stretch but the right person could do it I bet.

Bore is 0.450" at the muzzle, measured with a pin gage set. Rifling is ~0.006", so groove diameter is 0.463. Martini-Henrys have a tapered bore that swages the bullet down as it leaves the barrel, starting with a relatively soft bullet paper patched to 0.468". OD of the barrel at the muzzle is 0.700".

The barrel is not attached to the receiver at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom