• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    I have been watching many reviews of switchblade knives and assisted opening knives.

I can not see how a switchblade is in any way superior to an assisted opener (i.e. Kershaw)

Does anyone?

Rmocarsky

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Legal hassles spring to mind.

Personally I prefer Benchmade axis-lock knives. Easy one-hand use; choose the reverse tanto blades for the best action, since they carry more weight toward the tip. Contego, 940 are my EDCs.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The button is usually large and located somewhere you can mash with your thumb. With an assisted, the release is usually limited to a thumb stud or a blade flipper, both of which are on the side of the knife when closed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like autos and Balisongs, not neccesarily because of how they open, but because they usually lock closed with a switch or latch. I can open flippers, spyderhole or axis lock knives just as easily and fast(can deploy a wave or fixed blade faster). Axis locks tend to have a weak detent, and the larger / blade heavy models that would seem ideal when hiking/biking/skiing or on a motorcycle pop open easily, where the "scary" autos and Balis don't, but can be opened easy enough with 1 gloved hand if needed. I really am not a fan of AO, all the downsides of an auto, without the main benefits, and far too often a spring is used as a bandaid on a gritty and stiff action. Knife laws aren't just stupid and outdated, but can be dangerous in some instances too.

one example, a fast BM Casbaugh auto vs a ZT452 KVT flipper(bearings/no spring) in slow-mo, they open just as fast and easily

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom