• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I know the case is being appealed by Maryland. I know they are asking for a stay.

Does this mean I should wait until the stay is (hopefully) denied and get my ccw application in before the appeal is heard?

Is there any benefit to applying immediately, before the stay request is rulled on?

Or should I just wait until after the appeal is ruled on?

Very confused about this process at this point. Thanks

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I know the case is being appealed by Maryland. I know they are asking for a stay.

Does this mean I should wait until the stay is (hopefully) denied and get my ccw application in before the appeal is heard?

Is there any benefit to applying immediately, before the stay request is rulled on?

Or should I just wait until after the appeal is ruled on?

Very confused about this process at this point. Thanks
    Personally, I'm going to hold off until this thing is settled and the appeals process is complete. Things will clear up at that time. At this point NOBODY, including the MSP, knows what to do.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I don't know the legal answers but this is how I look at it. If you send it in now they wont touch it to see if a "stay" is put into place. If it is then yours will get trashed like most have been done before and you are out the time and money. The application says that you should hear something within 90 days. I would say that an appeal will take a lot longer then that. I am going to wait for the appeal to be filed and see what happens with the "stay" order. If its denied then I am filing.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I don't know the legal answers but this is how I look at it. If you send it in now they wont touch it to see if a "stay" is put into place. If it is then yours will get trashed like most have been done before and you are out the time and money. The application says that you should hear something within 90 days. I would say that an appeal will take a lot longer then that. I am going to wait for the appeal to be filed and see what happens with the "stay" order. If its denied then I am filing.

What you say makes sense.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    But isn't there an advantage of getting the application in during the time between this initial ruling and the date in which the appeal is heard? This is assuming the stay is denied.

I'm thinking of some of the gay marriage rullings in other states where some gay couples rushed and got married before the appeal could be heard and their marriages were validated. Know what I mean?

I assume MSI will provide guidance on this asap

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    But isn't there an advantage of getting the application in during the time between this initial ruling and the date in which the appeal is heard? This is assuming the stay is denied.

I'm thinking of some of the gay marriage rullings in other states where some gay couples rushed and got married before the appeal could be heard and their marriages were validated. Know what I mean?

I assume MSI will provide guidance on this asap

Haha, unfortunately, getting a CCW in this state is FAR more complicated than getting married. As messed up as that is...

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    even if you applied now and got a permit the state would probably just void it out if they won their appeals.

I am hoping that all the Judges are smarter then the politicians and all see how stupid this law is. If there is no definition of G&S then how can you uphold that. I don't think they will win any appeal.

carpentermatt

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm looking forward to what the MSI has to say about this. I'm almost ready to apply for permit but don't want to get a restricted permit if an unrestricted permit is right around the corner. I guess I'll wait and see.

TheZman

May 10, 2010
    This decision is heartening, but I suspect most of us will be dead before it is possible to get a permit in this state. We are outnumbered by liberal fanatics. They will fight this through the courts and in the legislature. They will come up with crazy rules and indefinite waiting periods to get around the decision.

In the end, if you are able to get a permit, the conditions will be so odious you will not want one.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I suspect most of us will be dead before it is possible to get a permit in this state. We are outnumbered by liberal fanatics. They will fight this through the courts and in the legislature. They will come up with crazy rules and indefinite waiting periods to get around the decision.

In the end, if you are able to get a permit, the conditions will be so odious you will not want one.

I bet the same was said about this possible ruling.

Dude....A win is a win. Keep in the fight. Stay in the foxhole. The more pessimistic one gets the less enthusiastic one wants to be in the fight.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I don't see Maryland giving up on this without a long(er) drawn out court battle. They'll fight this with every bone in their collective body.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    I've been following this case for some time now. I had the same thoughts - should I apply now for my CCW? Technically, i think and I'm no lawyer, at this very point in time due to the ruling that the 'g&s' requirement is illegal - period. Denials based on not filling the 'G&S' requirement are illegal. Permits should be awarded as not issuing is against my rights.

Of course doing the illegal is what they do best.

I think if this ruling makes it past a stay and then appeal that there will be a tremendous flood of CCW applications initially clogging up the (loosely stated) system.

When to apply??? :innocent0

This IS good news but if MD drags it through judicial/legislative muddy waters forever - I'll just move - tired of waiting on fools while living in a environment that is increasingly criminally. Been thinking about it anyway. No sense in today's ever increasing crime environment & collapsing economy of staying in a state that knows the criminals are well armed (despite restrictions) but takes your protection from them away. As the economy gets worse, so will the crime threat to me and my family.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    once us "common folk" can get a ccw in MD I bet it will take a good 5-6 months to get just because of the backlog...not that its a bad thing...just keeping it real for folks who think this will be a fast process...

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Everybody just needs to take a deep breath and relax. It's going to be a reality.......but it's going to take some time for the process to play out. Think about where we were just 48 hours ago.

Enjoy the victory and look forward to the future.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    once us "common folk" can get a ccw in MD I bet it will take a good 5-6 months to get just because of the backlog...not that its a bad thing...just keeping it real for folks who think this will be a fast process...

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a 5 to 6 month process now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom