• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I need to obtain a piece of AR500 steel by the weekend. Pretty flexible on size & shape. Anyone know a source local to Pax or Prince Frederick?

Thanks,
    --Ken

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Hello, I live in Mechanicsville across the river from you, I work with AR at my shop at home and i have some AR400 that measures about 6" x 32" 1/2" To the best of my knowledge the closest place that stocks AR plate is durrett shepard in balt or steel services in ashland, va also Stauffer's Machine Shop in Mechanicsville stocks Ar plate and will cut to your specs.

Last edited:

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I'll second this. I bought a target IPSC target and stand from them and received it in 2 days.

I had the same experience with them. I get my targets in 2 days each time I order. I wanted to get steel that would hold up to centerfire rifle. I emailed Bobcat Steel wanting to know if their AR 500 steel targets would hold up to center fire rifle. Kimball the owner emailed me back and asked me to call him. He was a wealth of information and was a huge help to me.

I will continue to buy my steel targets from www.Bobcatsteel.com Their steel is superior quality. The targets I received from them were 3/8 inch AR 500 steel. It is first rate.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I'm all set for now

Coopermania is good people. It was a pleasure to meet with him and talk about Remington PSS's, where we're from, and everything else in between. I left the meeting feeling like I made a new friend and with some steel in the back of my truck.

I originally was going to order some steel from Wideners, been looking at them for a long time. A last minute opportunity to go shoot came up and I wanted to get some steel in a hurry. I thought getting some shipped in time was out of the question. Looks like locally there's none to be had.

So based on recommendations in this thread and the fact that Bobcat Steel took the time to post and offer his help, I'll be placing an order with Bobcat in the near future. I'll probably just call him when I'm ready to order. Kimball, I truly appreciate your post and the last line is what hooked me: "Let us know if we can help."

--Ken

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville

Question for Bobcat,,, Stemmers run Rifle and Pistol club is looking to do steel knock down pins,, (for pistol) we are thinking of doing stand mounted or possibly on a dowel, (.375 or so diameter bar) your thoughts and options? We would probably be ordering 18-24 pins.

Thanks,
    Tom

Bobcat Steel

Steel Czar
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shelbyville, IN
    Question for Bobcat,,, Stemmers run Rifle and Pistol club is looking to do steel knock down pins,, (for pistol) we are thinking of doing stand mounted or possibly on a dowel, (.375 or so diameter bar) your thoughts and options? We would probably be ordering 18-24 pins.

Thanks,
    Tom

No issue to do that. Please explain more about what you were thinking with the dowel, I am not seeing in my brain how that would work well.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    No issue to do that. Please explain more about what you were thinking with the dowel, I am not seeing in my brain how that would work well.

Dowel mounted to the back side of pin at the bottom to allow the pin to fall, but make sure it can be reset quickly,, and square, so it could not be setup on an angle to reduce ricochet as much as possible. Think of falling plates. We have been using rubber pins,,, but didn't even get a season out of them this year. We have received a go-ahead to use steel plates for our matches. We have plans to setup a rail to protect the hinge rod. We have a pretty good idea of ehat we are doing for the rack,, we need a source for pins. BUT we are open to suggestions.

Check you PMs for my contact info.

Thanks,
    Tom

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Tom,

If an oversized nut was welded to the back of the bowling pin, it would allow a rebar or better yet a grounding rod to be threaded through across the entire span of the bench you guys use. If you had some scrap angle iron with a hole drilled through it large enough for the rod to pass through spaced out along the span of pins it would support the rod. The bottom of the angle Iron could be mounted to a board. If you had a rail of angle iron across the front of the board, it could protect the board and allow you to lean the pins forward slightly to keep them upright until shot. When shot, they could fall backwards. After the round was shot, they could be swung/tipped back into place. I guess another option would be to weld a gate hinge to the back of the pin and screw the other part of the hinge to a board. lay the board on a piece of angle iron so it will be protected and allow you to lean the pin slightly forward against the angle iron.

If you want to experiment. I have one of Kimbals smaller torso targets I could loan you to try out. I have been thinking of trying this myself, but I gave my welder away. I know you can weld, so you are welcome to experiment. I can meet you at the range this weekend if you want to experiment on my smaller AR 500 torso target.

I have a larger Torso target too. I was going to try hanging that from strips of fire hose instead of chain. Kimball suggested that it would work better because the round would pass through the hose. I have a firefighter friend that is giving me some to try out. Let me know when you are heading to the range and we can compare notes. I can't wait until your club gets the pins going. It sounds like a lot of fun. I need to buy some more steel soon myself. Kimball is a good guy and his AR 500 steel is the best!

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    DZ,

If you are interested, I'll let you know when my friend gets me some fire hose and I will give you some of it to try. Kimball at Bobcat steel suggested it. I think it would be a lot better than chain. Chain can get shot up pretty quickly. I was thinking of using S hooks and fire hose to hold the plate. Cheap and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom