• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Just got my new Dakota safe set up and ready for action - took two of us about 3 hours start to finish.

Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on storage solutions for pistols/handguns. I see there are several rack systems that sit on the top shelf. I also see there are some setups that go on the inside of the door. Some use velcrow, others do not. I have even seen some that are basically just holsters that vercrow right onto the door lining.

so can I get some recommendations for fellow board members on what they use. I need to store <10 handguns total. Thanks! :thumbsup:

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I uses the 6 gun rack. The rest are in the plastic boxes that came with the guns. The door on my safe fits close to the shelves, so you need toi be careful on the placement of any door hangers.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I found a fishing rod holder that holds 1 handgun and I put them in my safe as closely as I can get them, if you do this make sure it is the rubber coated one and you have to drill through your shelf and put padding under it for it to work. I could fit about 5 pistols per shelf but I only have 3 currently installed

Mike

I mounted a piece of 1/4" pegboard on the inside of the door using spacers and existing holes. I then plasticoated peg hooks and spaced them out. In my safe it holds 12 handguns. I also have racks from versatile gun rack. I didnt like their pegboard hooks.

Last edited:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Mike

I mounted a piece of 1/4" pegboard on the inside of the door using spacers and existing holes. I then plasticoated peg hooks and spaced them out. In my safe it holds 12 handguns. I also have racks from versatile gun rack. I didnt like their pegboard hooks.

Hadnn't though about putting a pegboard in there. That's a good idea. I think I'm going to check out some options at the Timonium gunshow this weekend and maybe go with your idea if I don't find anything I like.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I bout a plate rack form Wally World for less than $4. It holds 6 pistols...

Jamie

I like this idea, I am going to post pictures of mine tonight but I might be taking some measurements and going to wally world and see what I can find.

One thing I do know about this is if you look for something that is actually meant to be a "gun rack" your going to pay a whole lot more than finding something else that just happens to fit nicely.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I like this idea, I am going to post pictures of mine tonight but I might be taking some measurements and going to wally world and see what I can find.

One thing I do know about this is if you look for something that is actually meant to be a "gun rack" your going to pay a whole lot more than finding something else that just happens to fit nicely.

This is what it looks like (I stole the pic from someone else...:o)

gunsafe4ll2.jpg

Jamie

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    That is pretty awesome, I really have to post mine now because I think mine is a pretty nice trick too. I have pictures on my extra HD at work and they will be up tonight

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    OK I couldnt wait to work so I took some more pictures, This is just one shelf on my gun cabinet and I used to have a few more guns when I first did this but I wasnt sure how many would be stored there so I only did 3 of them (I think I could have fit like 5) but these are just fishing pole holders that are meant to go on a boat and they are coated in rubber to protect your gun and I slid a small box in the back to support the muzzles but you can probably come up with something alot better. They must be placed far enough forward or back to support different size pistols so I would just put em in there randomly and not dress right dress like you would naturally want to do. also included are pictures of the bottom and the nut that comes with them, I did not take the time to find a smaller replacement because these worked just fine although you might want to put more appropriate ones on there.

These can be found at walmart in the fishing section

Attachments

• DSCN0389.jpg
      DSCN0389.jpg
      33.5 KB · Views: 404
    • DSCN0391.jpg
      DSCN0391.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 407
    • DSCN0393.jpg
      DSCN0393.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 401
    • DSCN0395.jpg
      DSCN0395.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 393
    • DSCN0397.jpg
      DSCN0397.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 426

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    excuse the rust on my Ruger, The origional coating has worn away and it builds up in a few weeks and I need to get it fixed I know.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I think some carpet is in order for me now that I have seen Jmintzers supperior storage solution, and if it fits I might even try that plate rack idea in the shelf below that for other pistols just to see which one is better.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    I've tried various things over the years, but the bottom line is that the guns will get dinged up sooner or later with racks/hooks. I just put each handgun in a soft case and stuff them on the top shelf. Holds about 30 or so.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Okay, I just took a few pics of my $3 Wally World Custom Pistol Rack in my Dakota safe:

381097656.jpg

381097657.jpg

This rack can hold up to 8 guns.

While we're at it, here's a pic of the safe and my 1911...

381097654.jpg

381097653.jpg

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom