• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    So i have a pre-68 Mossberg 500AR as it has no serial #. Am i correct in saying it is c&r eligible because its over 50 years old? Seems like a stupid question but ive never seen anybody advertise a mossberg 500 as c&r.

Jul 1, 2012
    If you can prove it's 50 years old or older, it's C&R no matter how common it may be :)
    Hopefully the S/N wasn't removed.
    Is it a 500AB vice AR?

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Its definitely a 500AR. Think maybe R for rifle sights. Nothings been scrubbed. Still has original anodizing. Single action bar so its definitely early. Im thinking 65-67. I know the first ones had jeweled bolts which this one doesn't.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    All firearms were required to have a unique serial number after the Gun Control Act of 1968 was signed. If the shotgun in question legitimately has no serial number it was made prior to GCA68...or was a "lunchbox special" which is not only unlikely but unprovable.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So i have a pre-68 Mossberg 500AR as it has no serial #. Am i correct in saying it is c&r eligible because its over 50 years old? Seems like a stupid question but ive never seen anybody advertise a mossberg 500 as c&r.

No serial number? Careful, that's the exact kind of gun MD General Assembly wants to ban.

That and my pre-68 unserialized JC Higgins .410.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All firearms from '68 on were required to have s/n . All firearms pre 1970 are C&R .

Ergo , any factory built firearm that did not have s/n is inherently C&R .

Yes , lots of people when they hear " C&R" default visualize mass imported Surplus . But indeed , it also includes the great mass of " Normal American Sporting and Utility Firearms " that happen to age out into 50 yr old .

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I’ve bid on C&R 870 Wingmasters on GunRaper. They bring big bucks.

Bet you’ll be happily surprised at what that 500 is worth.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I’ve bid on C&R 870 Wingmasters on GunRaper. They bring big bucks.

Bet you’ll be happily surprised at what that 500 is worth.

Thats what I was thinking. Especially right now when people are crazy and many still avoiding going into public places. I would think most people with c&rs would have something like that but then again some collectors dont normally care about shotguns like that. That and you know how friends and family can be when they know you are a gun guy but never cared about guns till they need one. I have someone like that that lives in Baltimore and all of a sudden became scared for his life when all the lockdowns started happening. Guess whos the first person he called? When he turned 18, i gifted him a semi 22. He then sold it the first chance he got so i now say...good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom