• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Redding makes bod dies. These would allow you to size loaded rounds. Redding advises against doing so.

But then again, if not for doing that, why would you make a body die????

The choice is up to you.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I suggest that you pull the offending bullets before bumping back the shoulder or just let your friend shoot them out. Unlike a short round, those that you loaded won't give you excessive pressure issues.

Aside from pulling bullets with a kinetic puller, I consider manipulating a loaded round in a sizing die to be a risky process.

Thanks, John. I have no desire to take on that kind of risk. Of the 80 cases he brought over, 60 of them were RP, with 20 from PPU. We only reloaded 50, so still have 30 waiting to be roloaded. I can reset the die to bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths for the remaining unprimed cases, then re-size. Also, I can have him bring over the rifle this week and we can see how the re-sized cases chamber before we finish reloading them.

JoeR

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Thanks, John. I have no desire to take on that kind of risk. Of the 80 cases he brought over, 60 of them were RP, with 20 from PPU. We only reloaded 50, so still have 30 waiting to be roloaded. I can reset the die to bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths for the remaining unprimed cases, then re-size. Also, I can have him bring over the rifle this week and we can see how the re-sized cases chamber before we finish reloading them.

JoeR

I'm not sure if this info will help but I have resized both RP and PPU and the RP's felt like mashed potato's compared to the PPU's. I had to crank my sizing die all the way to the press's limit and the shoulder to base length of the PPU's were still over SAAMI max by .001. They were once fired cases but I think annealing would have helped immensely.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I'm not sure if this info will help but I have resized both RP and PPU and the RP's felt like mashed potato's compared to the PPU's. I had to crank my sizing die all the way to the press's limit and the shoulder to base length of the PPU's were still over SAAMI max by .001. They were once fired cases but I think annealing would have helped immensely.

Hmmmm....interesting. When he fired them as factory-loaded rounds, he said there wasn't an issue with chambering or extracting.

JoeR

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Hmmmm....interesting. When he fired them as factory-loaded rounds, he said there wasn't an issue with chambering or extracting.

JoeR

That makes sense as they would be the correct size from the factory. I just couldn't get the PPU's back to spec. because I believe there was too much springback. They were fired in an AR and not a bolt gun however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom