• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Not sure about the history behind this pistol, but I know it's been in my safe for a long time and it's made by CVA. And that's all I know. I would like to shoot it and wanted to get some info. This will be my first time attempting to shoot a black powder anything.

I have found generic black powder pistol instructions online and I think I know the general procedure, but I just don't know what to specifically purchase as far as powder, percussion caps, and ball. I don't even know what caliber this thing is. I think 36cal. So any links to specific products and any info would be greatly appreciated.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Depending on the age, it should have the caliber and the manufacturer on the barrel. I think CVA did not make any and all they did was import them from what I recall.
    It is important to know the manufacturer because not all bullet sizes are exactly the same. You can use undersized balls, but if it does not shave off a ring, then you risk a chain fire. But if the balls are too big, then there is no way you can jam those suckers in there.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    As far as what you will need besides the right size balls, the starter kit should help out a lot.
    Bore Butter (but there are substitutes you can use like Crisco)
    or Wonder Wads
    Am adjustable powder measure
    A capper is not necessary, but if you are shooting a lot, then it comes in handy
    A nipple pick/wrench
    BP, Pyrodex or other BP substitute
    Caps, which should be either size No. 10 or No. 11
    EZ Wider or Tops rolling papers

Different brand caps will fit differently, so you will have to experiment.

By the way, do not dry fire with the cylinder with the nipples in place. That is a good way to have to replace them sooner.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I'm down in southern calvert county. I'll take a better pic of the symbol, but it's the CVA symbol. That, Conneticut Valley Arms on the top of the barrel, and a serial number are the only markings on the pistol. Well, besides the fancy engraving on the cylinder. Caliber is not designated anywhere. Great info too, thanks.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Cylinder marks are decorative with Colts patent No. and "Engaged 16 May 1843". Other cylinder engraving is of ships.

Underside of the barrel reads, "A.S.M. - Black Powder Only Made In Italy"

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    A.S.M? Let me guess, you see a symbol of a palm tree somewhere on it.

I had a feeling looking at it that it was an Army San Marco, especially with that bluing that looks like it is a hundred years old, and the rough finish on the brass.
    I have never seen one in person, but I have seen pictures of them before.
    I will see if I can discover the ball size, but I have a feeling you will have to slug the cylinder and then measure the ball.

It is an excellent starter gun because San Marcos are usually not worth much. You will want to move on to better ones before long once you get the bug.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Thank you very much. Black powder was just something I wanted to try out, and having this pistol in the safe has made it that much easier for me to give it a try. If I do get the bug after shooting this pistol, I might give the Ruger Old Army a look at.

You're not kidding about the rough brass finish and crappy bluing. Thanks for all the info. :thumbsup:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    warning: brass framed guns will shoot loose eventually.
    if you're going to shoot that pistol, use light loads.
    for extended fun, you'd be better off with a steel framed revolver.
    have fun.:)

houserocker

Guero Loco
    Jan 14, 2008
    Laurel, DE
    If you're coming to the Frostbite shoot, bring it along with you. I have all the fixin's to fire it if it is a .44. All you would have to do is bring along a box off .36 balls if it isn't a .44. We can load it up and make some stinky smoke!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If you're coming to the Frostbite shoot, bring it along with you. I have all the fixin's to fire it if it is a .44. All you would have to do is bring along a box off .36 balls if it isn't a .44. We can load it up and make some stinky smoke!
    Remember there are at least three common size .44 balls out there for the cap and ball revolvers that I am aware of (.451, .454 and .457), and there are probably more. So maybe if you have a few different sizes of .44 too it might be a good idea to bring it.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Thank you VERY much for the offer, but I think I'm going to shelve my blackpowder excursion for now. Ideally one day I'll shoot about 12 rounds through it to see if I like it. I'm pretty sure it's 36cal. I looked VERY briefly at Midway for supplies but didn't purchase anything due to lack of knowledge. Which 36cal balls and what size caps come to mind. I didn't want to commit to 5000 caps (or whatever the min was) just to find out I don't like shooting blackpowder or I bought the wrong caps. So for the time being I'll just concentrate on one of my many other unfinished projects, like trying to get my bolt gun back from the gunsmith.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thank you VERY much for the offer, but I think I'm going to shelve my blackpowder excursion for now. Ideally one day I'll shoot about 12 rounds through it to see if I like it. I'm pretty sure it's 36cal. I looked VERY briefly at Midway for supplies but didn't purchase anything due to lack of knowledge. Which 36cal balls and what size caps come to mind. I didn't want to commit to 5000 caps (or whatever the min was) just to find out I don't like shooting blackpowder or I bought the wrong caps. So for the time being I'll just concentrate on one of my many other unfinished projects, like trying to get my bolt gun back from the gunsmith.

Don't worry about the caps, you can buy a really small tin of them (100 ct. IIRC) and if they are too big, then you can get away with pinching them on.
    The powder, you can buy a really small bottle of pyrodex, or at least you used to be able to, and use that for a trial run.
    The balls....do you have any 000 buck shotshells? Pop a pellet out and see if it might fit. You want it to not fit more than halfway, but just barely not halfway. The balls are supposed to be just a little too big so that way they will make a better seal when rammed in.

If you hook up with someone at Myrtle Grove, they can walk you through the process and maybe even let you shoot theirs to get an idea....and they might even five you a few caps, balls and some powder to take home with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom