• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    Hi Guys:

I've got a pair of lower recievers that I'm in the process of planning my builds for.

I'm thinking of making one a pistol or SBR and the other a long range precision rifle.

I've read conflicting info on HBAR requirements for calibers that are not 556/223.

I'm thinking of 300 blackout in a 10" barrel like this
    https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-300-blackout-10-5-hybrid-barrel-nitride/

and a 22" 224 Valkyrie for the precision rifle like this:
    https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/craddock-precision-224-valkyrie-ar-15-barrels/

neither of those are labeled HBAR.

would they be legal here?

thanks for any guidance.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hi Guys:

I've got a pair of lower recievers that I'm in the process of planning my builds for.

I'm thinking of making one a pistol or SBR and the other a long range precision rifle.

I've read conflicting info on HBAR requirements for calibers that are not 556/223.

I'm thinking of 300 blackout in a 10" barrel like this
    https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-300-blackout-10-5-hybrid-barrel-nitride/

and a 22" 224 Valkyrie for the precision rifle like this:
    https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/craddock-precision-224-valkyrie-ar-15-barrels/

neither of those are labeled HBAR.

would they be legal here?

thanks for any guidance.
    The 300 AAC does not need to be Hbar. I'm pretty sure the .224 V doesn't either as it has a different bolt and chamber than the .223 Rem and the 5.56 NATO(as well as the .223 Wylde).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This has been discussed MANY times.

MSP is currently saying that non-.223/5.56 do not need to be HBAR. But, that is not supported by the text of the law. The AR-15 line does NOT specify caliber. However, there are other banned firearms that do state caliber (Mini14 with folding stock states .223).

So, if MSP changes their mind, your non-HBAR other caliber could become banned.

You choice as how to proceed. But there are some people on MDS that prefer to make any AR in HBAR.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The previous replies seem confusing , is because the Answer is inherently confusing and ambiguous .

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    This has been discussed MANY times.

MSP is currently saying that non-.223/5.56 do not need to be HBAR. But, that is not supported by the text of the law. The AR-15 line does NOT specify caliber. However, there are other banned firearms that do state caliber (Mini14 with folding stock states .223).

So, if MSP changes their mind, your non-HBAR other caliber could become banned.

You choice as how to proceed. But there are some people on MDS that prefer to make any AR in HBAR.

It does none of us any good to pre-ban ourselves from building/owning any firearm or types of firearms not currently banned... based upon what MSP might/could do IF they change their minds.

One could carry on endless debates about what “could be” ad nausium... ending in far more confusion than actual answers to the original question.

The only current “Maryland Law” requirement for HBAR upper receivers... is specific to the AR15 rifles chambered in 5.56/.223, built by, purchased by, or otherwise transferred to a Maryland resident after 1 October 2013.

If the OP wants to build their AR style rifle in any other caliber... WITH a non HBAR upper receiver... no current Maryland law prohibits them from doing so.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It does none of us any good to pre-ban ourselves from building/owning any firearm or types of firearms not currently banned... based upon what MSP might/could do IF they change their minds.

One could carry on endless debates about what “could be” ad nausium... ending in far more confusion than actual answers to the original question.

The only current “Maryland Law” requirement for HBAR upper receivers... is specific to the AR15 rifles chambered in 5.56/.223, built by, purchased by, or otherwise transferred to a Maryland resident after 1 October 2013.

If the OP wants to build their AR style rifle in any other caliber... WITH a non HBAR upper receiver... no current Maryland law prohibits them from doing so.

Show me where the LAW states AR-15 in 5.56/.223.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Simple, how many other rifle calibers did COLT make an AR-15 in back in 1989, and what were they? 1989 was when the AR-15 was put on the list, when the first part of the list was created.

[/thread]

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Simple, how many other rifle calibers did COLT make an AR-15 in back in 1989, and what were they? 1989 was when the AR-15 was put on the list, when the first part of the list was created.

I’d be careful there. How many Bushmaster semiautomatic rifles did bushmaster make? Now you can’t even get an ACR from them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I’d be careful there. How many Bushmaster semiautomatic rifles did bushmaster make? Now you can’t even get an ACR from them.

I'll ask the same question about the Bushmaster, which MSP has overstepped their administrative authority to ban.

How many AR-15's did Bushmaster manufacture back in 1989 when the "Bushmaster Carbine" was put on the regulated list?

I'll give you a hint, it is less than 1.

I'll also give you another hint, google Gwinn Arms Bushmaster Carbine for the actual firearm added to the regulated list and then subsiquently banned in 2013.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I'll ask the same question about the Bushmaster, which MSP has overstepped their administrative authority to ban.

How many AR-15's did Bushmaster manufacture back in 1989 when the "Bushmaster Carbine" was put on the regulated list?

I'll give you a hint, it is less than 1.

I'll also give you another hint, google Gwinn Arms Bushmaster Carbine for the actual firearm added to the regulated list and then subsiquently banned in 2013.

I’m completely aware, hence my post. But it is now a ban on any semiautomatic rifle that is called a Bushmaster. It bans the AR-15 which wasn’t made by them when Md created the list and the ACR which wasn’t in existence in any form when the list was created.

Those facts didn’t keep Sandy what’s his name from the former Valley gun, from taking a plea when he was charged for selling a bushmaster HBAR face to face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom