• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I am a fairly recent transplant from a much more gun friendly state. I got into rust bluing and used to take on projects for family, friends, and friends of friends. Probably have done 15-20 guns so far. It made me some side money while going through a divorce. Anyway, in that state you could pretty much hand over a firearm and come get it again once I’m done and no one would even care. If I were to get back into it for friends and such (not publicly advertising), what are the ramifications in Maryland?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    IANAL, but for modern long guns or antiques (long or handgun), there shouldn't be any issues with Maryland. I'll leave the discussion of temporary transfers of handguns under MD law to those with better knowledge of that subject than I have. Federal law may very well be a concern, if ATF comes to view you as being in the "business" of gunsmithing, whether or not you advertise.

I do a lot of rust bluing for my own antiques and repros, but haven't done it for anyone else. A good rust bluing job is a work of art. Maybe we can see some photos of your work to drool over?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As far as I know, if the serialized component spends the night with you for anything but the loan of the arm an FFL is required. This was discussed by someone wanting to do nothing more than offering a strip down and clean/lube service. The same was told to them...if taking custody of the arm overnight an FFL is required.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As far as I know, if the serialized component spends the night with you for anything but the loan of the arm an FFL is required. This was discussed by someone wanting to do nothing more than offering a strip down and clean/lube service. The same was told to them...if taking custody of the arm overnight an FFL is required.

This ^^^^^

If you are keeping the firearm overnight, you are in violation of Federal law. It may or many not be against State law.

BATFE FAQ:

Does a gunsmith need to enter every firearm received for adjustment or repair into an acquisition and disposition (A&D) record?

If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired, or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the A&D record as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the A&D record.

Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As of today until the first day of the General Assembly Session , temporary * Gratuitous * loaning is still a thing .

BUT the repair/ modification/ improvement / etc of firearms , especially for $ , fits the Federal definition of Gunsmith , and requires an FFL . If you only worked on muzzleloaders , and actual Antiques , no licensing required .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Quote:
    Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

In MD you need a license for almost anything, if there's compensation involved. I worry when my wife cuts my hair; the neighbors could drop a dime, and she gets locked up. . . . hmmm, no, I'm stopping that train of thought right here.

The first rule of the Free Rust Bluing Club; c'mon, you know the first rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom