• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I am interested in seeing what my reloads are doing and I’m sure having one is probably important in load development. I do not like to cheap out on something that may just cause me a bunch of frustration but I don’t have a lot of money right now to spend on one either.

I’m just looking for something that is somewhat accurate and easy to use. I would use it for rifle pistol air rifle and possibly bows.

Thank you.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Accurate, easy to use, and cheap is not something that will be found.

The cheap ones require placement down range, with all of the problems that come with that.

The more expensive ones stay on the firing line.

I have an old down range model, shoot over sensors type, and hated using it.

When the Magnetospeed came out that was a game changer. It is a nice unit that works well.

The Labradar came out a few years ago. As far as chronographs go that is the one to buy, if you can afford it. If you have never seen one, they are placed next to the firearm when in use. It uses radar to track the projectile down range. It displays and stores the information for use later.
    I first saw one in use at Peacemaker. I picked one up soon afterward. After using it I could never think of using the old-style models again. The only thing I can add is to buy a rechargeable battery, the type that uses a USB cable, to power it. It is cheaper than using regular batteries.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What type works best depends on where you can shoot. Are you alone, or on a crowded range?

I Chrono in my clubs action pits because I can use one by myself. So setting up, alignment and adjustment of the sensors doesn't hold up anyone else. I can get away with cheap.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am old school.

I have a Oehler 35P. Electronics are at the firing line, sensors are down range.

It is internal double check as it has 3 sensors, so it measures over two distances and compares that the numbers make sense.

Paper print out with calculation based on the series of shots.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I have used a friends Labradar and it is very nice, but expensive. The Magneto speed is for rifles only (I guess you could rig up a way to use it on a pistol.)

I have been happy with my Magneto Speed. I recently purchased an Arca rail adapter from MK Machining. It makes getting chrono data easy without impacting barrel harmonics.

MDA-20200425-0067-16-XL.jpg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have an older model CED Millennium. It has been a good unit and is indespensibe to me. It will fit your requirements, and the newer and more current model is a definite upgrade over what I have.

My next chronograph though, once this one gives up the ghost, will be Labradar. I hate the price but I like what I've seen and heard from current users of the unit.

The more you see yourself using a chronograph, the more sense Labradar makes IMO. What can also make sense for Labradar consideration for some is that they may be much more inclined to actually use it, since it works off Doppler radar, and there are no skyscreens to deal with. Screens tend to range from mildly annoying, to a severe pain in the ass, depending upon the day and your own individual circumstances surrounding where and when you shoot.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    The labradar looks real nice but I just can’t swing it right now. I was looking at one from competition electronics and it’s around my price range.

I have a back yard range so set up isn’t a problem. And if I can only use it on nice day that’s not much of a issue either if it only works in certain conditions.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Magnetospeed V3 is what I use. The Magnetospeed Sporter is a viable option, but the better controls and interface options of the V3 make it a better option even for the additional money.

The Magnetospeed's biggest flaw is that the bayonet needs about 2" of even space to mount up (eg, no barrel steps or whatever). I have a few rifles where it's basically impossible to use it. If your collection is a little less eclectic than mine and you don't need to chrono pistols, chances are pretty good that it'll be just fine for you. In THEORY you could chrono some pistols with it, but certain ones have sloping accessories rails (Glock) that don't work with it.

I will probably buy a (used) LabRadar eventually, if only because I do need to chrono stuff the Magnetospeed can't handle. LabRadar's software support seems horribly uneven (no app or firmware updates for 2 years now) and it can be finicky about shot detection and positioning, but it provides a very unique capability. No sense in wasting my time on a traditional chrono, IMHO.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll disagree . Under $100 , and $100-ish Chronographs will be accurate and easy to use . Under $100 can get +/- 1% to +/- 0.5% accuracy .

Under $100 will get individual velocity , number of shots , Hi/ Lo , and average velocity . Just over $100 will usually add Std Deviation . Expensive ones will more memory to store a kazillion strings .

Even the cheapest , most basic chrono will be light years ahead of no chrono , and you will very quickly find a chrono indispensable .

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    I bought a second hand Pact Model 1 for $50. I've used it for archery, air rifle, and rifle. It is a bit slow to set up. I set mine on a camera tripod which makes the adjustments faster. It can be finicky and does not have a printer or wireless download. If you are going to get serious into reloading, I recommend something with a data capture feature so you can digitally keep up with the data. I'm over the old school log book, just so much stuff to carry to the range.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'll disagree . Under $100 , and $100-ish Chronographs will be accurate and easy to use . Under $100 can get +/- 1% to +/- 0.5% accuracy .

Under $100 will get individual velocity , number of shots , Hi/ Lo , and average velocity . Just over $100 will usually add Std Deviation . Expensive ones will more memory to store a kazillion strings .

Even the cheapest , most basic chrono will be light years ahead of no chrono , and you will very quickly find a chrono indispensable .

I agree. I have a ProChrono chronograph and it has served me very well for over a decade. No problem registering anything over it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTJYQ9Z?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

The above is a newer model of it. Mine does not have Bluetooth capability.

BenSpelledABC

Jun 11, 2020
    I have a Oehler 35P but mostly quit using it because it's just not convenient. I liked the printouts of all the shots but is a bit dated also compared to what's out there. Now i just use a 'cheep but functional' chrono the 3-4 days a year i use it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , the basic ones are Easier to use . the expensive ones with more gadgets are trickier .

I know , I usually use the line above about only two out of three ( if you're lucky ). But Chronographs are one of the handfuls of exceptions that prove the rule .

Think of them like modern era electronic watches . A $30 watch will tell time just as accurately as a $3k watch .

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I believe the main categories are shoot-over and bench/barrel mounted. The shoot-overs are inexpensive, reasonably accurate, but may be a hassle at a public range if something isn't correct or needs reset and you have to wait an entire session to resolve. Also the old adage: " There are only 2 groups of people, those that have shot their chrono and those that have not yet shot their chrono". The bench/barrel mounted models tend to be more expensive, typically more accurate, and more flexible at a public range. I have both the Caldwell shoot-over that I still use with an old iPhone5 with their headphone communication cable, on my private range. And the Magnetospeed v3 with all the various options. I could never cost-justify the labradar for my minor precision needs. (1 minute of steel) I still use the magnetospeed when I want the extra precision data, but the software did (and I believe still does) suck a bag a d*&ks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

+/- 1% means your 3000 FPS load may read out as 2970 to 3030. So if you had a perfect round with 0 variance, you will see +/- 30 FPS.

Or, if you have a round with +/- 30 FPS variance, your chrono will read from 2730 to 3060.

Hard to develop a consistent load.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    +/- 1% means your 3000 FPS load may read out as 2970 to 3030. So if you had a perfect round with 0 variance, you will see +/- 30 FPS.

Or, if you have a round with +/- 30 FPS variance, your chrono will read from 2730 to 3060.

Hard to develop a consistent load.

The law of averages applies here. ;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They're not randomly jumping throughout the +/- tolerence , a consistent load will still show as consistent . It just might be consistent at 2985 ot 3015 instead of exactly 3000 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom