• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    Just some things I have learned.......

Fireproofing is worthless! Waterproofing is ok, but not necessary.

Use the extra money you would have spent and buy the next size up.

I have seen guns that were in VERY expensive "Fire Rated" Safes, the fires were short (Not much heat near the guns), and the guns were still damaged by the heat (Burned Stocks, Busted Scopes, and Melted Plastic) Smoke also finds its way in and eats at the metal, along with whatever moisture from putting out the fire the dehumidifier cant keep up with. It’s bad, bad.

A safe is good for one thing, keeping thieves away and buying time.

Best bet to not give thieves time to get your safe open is to have a good Security System or Dog.

Get a "rider" insurance policy to cover all of your guns, the accessories, and the work done to them. An appraisals and receipts help.

Buy the biggest safe you can afford, don’t get fireproofing.
    If you can mount the safe in the lowest area of your house (basement if possible).

Build up a 12" poured "platform" this will help keep the safe from flooding if there’s a fire or if there is a flood. This is more important than having waterproof features.

Bolt the safe to that platform with glued in concrete anchor bolts so someone can’t topple or move it easily.

If you can install a sprinkler system around the safe to keep the area cool enough to minimize the damage, but it’s probably like farting in the wind.

If you can double up on the dehumidifier. The plug in ones can loose power. I like to keep a silica version and a plug in version to be sure.

Just some things I have learned.

Old Soda machines make great "incognito" gun safes once gutted. Theives wouldnt think twice about breaking into on to get sodas, abeer machine might not have the same effect. :D

Ive personally witnessed what a quality safe can do to protect weapons and money. Liberty,Browning,Winchester and American security are the real deal and the best out there for a homeowner. Or you can jump up to a Meilink for a ton more money but its a fact they work. Yes there are fires where things are damaged usually by the safe falling threw a floor but unless your fire department is a hour away your stuff will be safe.Mounting any safe in a basement helps a ton because heat rises and theres no where for it to fall. Rarely is a fire in a home hot enough to beat a real fire rated safe from a reputable manufactuer. When you buy a junk chinese knockoff you dont even know if its actually the proper guage steel or if it has fireboard in it. Id much rather trust a safe or vault then a soda machine. Good luck moving a 1200 lb safe thats hurricane anchored to the floor or trying to bust into it in any reasonable amount of time.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ive personally witnessed what a quality safe can do to protect weapons and money. Liberty,Browning,Winchester and American security are the real deal and the best out there for a homeowner. Or you can jump up to a Meilink for a ton more money but its a fact they work. Yes there are fires where things are damaged usually by the safe falling threw a floor but unless your fire department is a hour away your stuff will be safe.Mounting any safe in a basement helps a ton because heat rises and theres no where for it to fall. Rarely is a fire in a home hot enough to beat a real fire rated safe from a reputable manufactuer. When you buy a junk chinese knockoff you dont even know if its actually the proper guage steel or if it has fireboard in it. Id much rather trust a safe or vault then a soda machine. Good luck moving a 1200 lb safe thats hurricane anchored to the floor or trying to bust into it in any reasonable amount of time.

We have some wealthy customers who owned EXPENSIVE safes, and their stuff was a loss. Damage was similar to fires where customers owned non fire rated units.

Its not just junk that fails. Theres alot of hype with fire rating, and it just dont work well from what I have seen first hand. Perhaps the fires with the samples I have seen were more intense than the customer explained???

My advice is dont trust a safe to save your valuables from fire, get insurance for that. SAfes are best to keep a clean and secure enviorment for your firearms/valuables.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Did everything unbolt out of it? or did you or the company cut it out? i have access to a plasma cutter if needed :D

For converting the Vending Machines we just used an angle grinder to remove the rivets/bolts/sheel metal. Just be sure to wear gloves. The sheet metal inside is sharp.

Sounds like a concrete platform is the way to go then. How difficult of a job is it to build one? I have no experience working with concrete. I assume just build a box with the inside dimensions slightly larger than the dimensions of the base of the safe, then just fill with pour-in-place concrete?

You are correct, just about 2" larger all around than the safe dimensions.

Not hard to build a box. Just get some wood and build a frame with no top or bottom. build it with screws so you can take it apart after the concrete sets.

Seal the bottom where the wood meets the floor with come caulk to keep it from bleeding under.

If you dont want to use alot on concrete you can use some small gravel to use as "filler"

Smooth the top so its level for a solid level surface for your safe.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    For converting the Vending Machines we just used an angle grinder to remove the rivets/bolts/sheel metal. Just be sure to wear gloves. The sheet metal inside is sharp.

Awesome, It would be for the garage, If/ when i build one it would be a Temp safe to keep stuff in the garage so i dont have to bring it all back and put it away when working on something.
    Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Awesome, It would be for the garage, If/ when i build one it would be a Temp safe to keep stuff in the garage so i dont have to bring it all back and put it away when working on something.
    Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

Anytime, if you need help and Im free Ill give ya a hand. Its not too hard at all. :D

Phy6

Oct 2, 2009
    Great idea on the soda machine! I wonder how much cash can fit in the holder...If just the bill feeder part worked, it would make a great piggy bank/safe!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Great idea on the soda machine! I wonder how much cash can fit in the holder...If just the bill feeder part worked, it would make a great piggy bank/safe!

Basic bill readers can hold 250-300 bills, there are boxes that hold up to 1200 bills.

I used to service the bill and coin readers. I dont miss it at all.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have a one story rambler with no basement. Not TOO worried about theft (dogs have free roam in the house when we're not there and can be QUITE intimidating), flooding is a non issue (live on top of a hill), step son comes over only rarely, so fire is the chief concern. Some of these safes, even empty, seem to weigh alot, even the cheap ones. What is my FLOOR rated for as far as weight? Sounds like fire damage is inevitable so what are my options? Wife decreed that a safe/cabinet/etc is mandatory before next gun purchase so I need to expedite this. :D

Is this good enough and will the floor handle it?

http://stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_safes/gsg-719.html

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Agreed, i use one of each of these. The box type i bake bag inside for about 3hrs when the strip on the bottom turns pink( once every 2 months) the Remington one just plugs into the wall when you see the desiccant turn pink

Where did you order these from?
    Thanks.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Here is the one i use, just had to look a little harder.. this one is bigger than the other box one above, this is what i have 900 grams, when the card turns pink, you put it in the oven for a few hours.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Silica-Gel-900-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27aa6773de

Thanks Oldcarjunkie. Appreciated! Do you remove the contents from the box before you put it in the safe? Or do you just place the whole box in the safe?
    Also, when you put it in the oven, I would think that you remove the contents from the box, then put them back in after the "cooking." Right?

Many of the similiar products don't give directions, soon has to guess.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Just put the whole box in the safe, it holds the giant bean bag of desiccant in it and the color card is also held by the box on the bottom. and correct, when the card changes to pink, remove the bean bag and place it on a cookie sheet, I believe its like 250degrees for 3hrs? but the box will tell you. once the time is up, just let it sit for 10 mins and slap it back in the box and then in the safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom