• Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Willy Petes/Smoke for Howitzer M2A1 is the first of the Towed 105's

Missing their fuses and shipping plugs.

image.jpg

Sorry for the 1st response, thought you were asking what guns used the rounds

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    They look like training bombs. The military still uses them. They have a marker charge that goes in the front. Fly around and drop them on training areas they don't want destroyed. The ones they use now are orange or blue and are very little compared to the real thing. Maybe look up dropped ordnance instead of fired. Just a guess. Or a pipe organ?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Dummy rounds are yellow or blue. Those were real rounds until the were demilled

White is residue is the WP. Need a Mr Wizard type to say if it is inert or not.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    They're not the right size for 105s. M1-type 105mm ammo is issued as semifixed: the brass case with primer and propellant and the projectile are shipped together. The projectile can be removed from the brass case to remove powder charges (for lower muzzle velocity) and then refitted.

The entire cartridge case and projectile would be able to fit in that box.

Also there's no rotating band (usually copper, to engage the rifling and seal the bore).

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Looks nothing like any round I ever handled. I'm going with organ pipes in a Howitzer ammo box. Howitzer cases are the same diameter from base to the rim. These things are tapered.

Here's mine.
    f19aa3902d26987ae71d59e54aa1f400.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Those are something else all together. Not canon rounds. Someone used the arty box to store those contraptions(whatever the hell they turn out to be) in. That's my SWAG.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Blow into the bottom. You'll find out whether they are organ pipes. Awfully short for their girth (I know, 'that's what she said')

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I'm going to guess someone's art/music project that they tried and found the steel didn't make such a pleasant note.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Are you sure they are galvanized steel? Have you tried a magnet? Pipe organ metal was an alloy of Lead Tin and Copper but some were made of Zinc which could be mistaken for galvanized coating.

Metal pipes are usually made of lead; for increased rigidity it is alloyed with tin along with trace amounts of antimony and copper. The percentage of each metal in the alloy influences the characteristics of the resulting pipe. A high proportion of tin results in a slightly brighter colouring. In addition, high amounts of tin give a gleaming and long-lasting polish, which may be desired if the pipe is clearly visible. The cost of each metal is also a factor, as tin is more expensive than lead. Cost considerations may also lead to the use of the inferior rolled zinc especially for the lower tones that take a lot of material.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Those are the cut off 'feet' from some low register church organ pipes. Unmolested, they would probably be about 12-16ft long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom