• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I'm just testing the waters right now because I'm looking into the feasibility of moving to California O.O for the wife. I thought I would keep it forever, but it would have to go if we decide to move. Does anyone have any tips on how to sell it? Gun store consignment or the Reuben guy? Funny thing is that I bought it off an MDS member.

I have an SWD M11/9 with original Lage Upper, a bunch of the optional Lage accessories, Bowers CAC9 suppressor, and variety of zytel and Shockwave Z-mags. I cracked the hand guard of the Lage upper when I was cleaning it and putting it back together, but it's currently with Lage getting fixed. *Edit* Lage fixed it and sent it back :)

Machinegunpriceguide has standard M11/9's at around $8000, but was wondering what I would get the different methods selling it in the current configuration.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You could probably private sell it on here for market rate. Downside is that you'd have to wait for the form 4 to clear to the other party, and that could take a while.

$8k-$9k sounds about right. That said, including the suppressor with the gun is not going to make it easier to sell... consider splitting them.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'd take a close look at the completed GunBroker auctions. See what they are actually selling for. Then consider whether or not you want to sell out - I've heard that there are gun shops in Las Vegas that will store NFA for reasonable rates. Since it's probably on a Form 4, I'd be offering to pay the first transfer tax (you have to pay tax to get it out of your hands and into a dealer, then a second tax to get from the dealer to the actual end buyer). For this reason, I'd seriously consider putting it up here at MDS first - only one transfer tax.

The problem with selling the suppressor is that once the taxes are paid, it's not worth that much. Certainly not on an interstate transfer.

One other thing...MG prices are down right now. I'd estimate 10% below what they were six months ago.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Bummer you’re selling it man.
    I’d put it up here and try to sell local first.
    As others mentioned once it starts going out of state there are multiple transfers.
    We considered all that when the (now Ex) wife sold it initially.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I'm just testing the waters right now because I'm looking into the feasibility of moving to California O.O for the wife. I thought I would keep it forever, but it would have to go if we decide to move. Does anyone have any tips on how to sell it? Gun store consignment or the Reuben guy? Funny thing is that I bought it off an MDS member.

I have an SWD M11/9 with original Lage Upper, Bowers CAC9 suppressor, and variety of zytel and Shockwave Z-mags. I cracked the hand guard of the Lage upper when I was cleaning it and putting it back together, but it's currently with Lage getting fixed. I should have the original box it came with somewhere.

Machinegunpriceguide has standard M11/9's at around $8000, but was wondering what I would get the different methods selling it in the current configuration.

Don't do it!!!!!

I was transferred to CA in 1994 and sold/traded off an MP40, a MK5 Sten, a Reising with a complete set of mags in a hard case and a Group Industries M16 with a stainless lower. I put my original Powder Springs Mac10 in storage.

Guess what, it ain't 1994 anymore and I'm now in Maryland and I could never again justify buying all of those just for fun. I paid $325.00 for that STEN, now worth 5 to 7 grand. Etc. Unless you plan to spend the rest of your life in California, do a 5320 form to a bank in Nevada near the border and store it in a safety deposit box. I left my MAC in a box in Arizona near my in-laws place and pulled it out to shoot when we'd visit over Christmas.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Selling a MG instate to another MD resident is pretty easy. Just a Form 4, no dealer is involved. I've done 5 that that way without any issues. I use a contract that I wrote years ago for NFA sales. It keeps eveything in writting with responsibilities, timelines, and protections for both sides. Its very fair to both parties. I even use it sometimes with smaller out of state dealers. PM me if you go that route.

The prices on Machinegunpriceguide tends to be on the higher side. Plus the market is a little soft right now. You'll probably be much closer to 8K for that package. That said, it is nice starter package to get someone into full auto. LAGE makes good quality uppers and he has great service. The originals were great for years, but the newer ones that take stick mags, coffins, and suomi drums are nicer. Bowers makes good subgun cans. I've got a VERS 9S. The CAC9 is an older can, but it can be upgraded to newer baffles, and also the AIMS mount system to make it more versatile. You've got to have a can if you have one of these subguns!

One other thing that should also be pointed out is that you can also pick up a LAGE MAX11/15 upper for the M11/9. That will instantly get you into full auto rifle caliber (.223/5.56) for this platform. I've shot one on an M11/9 and it was really nice to shoot. I plan to get one of those uppers for the M11a1 once they go into production.

You've already got a few longtime MDS members who may be interested. I would start there and see what happens. It won't cost you any listing or selling fees.

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Just one piece of advice, guys...make sure you have a place to shoot before buying. Don't ask how I know...if the prices weren't so soft, I might well be tempted to put my Uzi up on the block.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Bummer you’re selling it man.
    I’d put it up here and try to sell local first.
    As others mentioned once it starts going out of state there are multiple transfers.
    We considered all that when the (now Ex) wife sold it initially.

Oh wow, nice to hear from you again after all these years, but sorry to hear about that situation. I still remember the trip to the range to try it out, signing the paperwork at the bank, and making that special trip back from overseas to pick up the lower from your Ex.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Don't do it!!!!!

I was transferred to CA in 1994 and sold/traded off an MP40, a MK5 Sten, a Reising with a complete set of mags in a hard case and a Group Industries M16 with a stainless lower. I put my original Powder Springs Mac10 in storage.

Guess what, it ain't 1994 anymore and I'm now in Maryland and I could never again justify buying all of those just for fun. I paid $325.00 for that STEN, now worth 5 to 7 grand. Etc. Unless you plan to spend the rest of your life in California, do a 5320 form to a bank in Nevada near the border and store it in a safety deposit box. I left my MAC in a box in Arizona near my in-laws place and pulled it out to shoot when we'd visit over Christmas.

^^^THIS^^^ strikes me as not only sound but, sage, advice ....

Does anyone expect the price on these items to go down?

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    ^^^THIS^^^ strikes me as not only sound but, sage, advice ....

Does anyone expect the price on these items to go down?

And he can store just the lower, suppressor and the mags so don't need a large box - you can get the sizes off their page and decide which one will hold what you need to store. Keep the uppers and stock with you - assuming a Lage stock or someone else's.

When I moved out to California I went the long way, drove down to AZ and dropped off the Mac at a Bank of America near the in-laws. I had already contacted the bank and paid for the box. Under the "reason for transportation" I put to be stored in a safety deposit box at the BofA and the Bank's address and such. I didn't put the box number. I didn't tell the bank what I was storing as you're not required to.

Depending on where in California the OP is headed, Nevada, Oregon or Arizona - whichever border is closest. Also look around for full auto shooting ranges near the bank so you can take a vacation and shoot your toy. The later may help determine where to leave it.

When I was in the Bay Area of CA most of my full auto friends stored their's in Reno, NV.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Appreciate all the advice so far. We are still in the planning stages and don't have everything lined up, but a concern of mine is that when I do have everything figured out, I may have less than a year so if I did a private sale, I'm not sure how I could transfer the lower without an FFL involved for storage or something. Storing it in Arizona/Nevada is a funny idea I never thought of, but if I make a trip out there and then to a range, there should be places where I can just rent one if I ever get the itch.

Last edited:

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Appreciate all the advice so far. We are still in the planning stages and don't have everything lined up, but a concern of mine is that when I do have everything figured out, I may have less than a year so if I did a private sale, I'm not sure how I could transfer the lower without an FFL involved for storage or something. Storing it in Arizona/Nevada is a funny idea I never thought of, but if I make a trip out there and then to a range, there should be places where I can just rent one if I ever get the itch. I also have a RHD vehicle I imported from Japan, and empty M72 tube, and a couple pre AW ban rifles that I'd have to sell as well, but I want to make sure my mind is made up before I have to get rid of all my toys. Those are the few things California doesn't have!

If you have to leave MD and you haven't sold it or completed the transfer, you can store it in MD the same way - bank safety deposit box and because still in state don't need to notify the ATF, but I'd probably send a letter with my new CA address and tell them where it's stored in MD. . Fly back to hand over when you get the approval. You have to hand it off directly. You can't store it in a friend's safe or at an FFL as they'd have access to it. You'd have to transfer it to the dealer for him to store it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom