Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Not legal in MD to hunt deer with.

Page 16 of the Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping 2011-2012
    Rifle Regulations
    Bulletin 3
    "Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds."

Bottom line is why use a marginal round at best when there are PROVEN deer cartridges that were DESIGNED from the start as such? The .270 comes to mind as does the 300 Savage. That is if one chooses not to use the most versatile round in the world........ the 06. :wink:

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Bottom line is why use a marginal round at best when there are PROVEN deer cartridges that were DESIGNED from the start as such? The .270 comes to mind as does the 300 Savage. That is if one chooses not to use the most versatile round in the world........ the 06. :wink:

Thread over

:thumbsup:

:D

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I know a guy who regularly shot deer with a 22 rifle at 50 yards. Always head shots. He hated md and now takes people on safaris in Botswana. Was a Boer from South Africa.

Thread sooo over

This is a public forum where we practice following the law, not breaking it. We have a hard enough time with the antis as it is, the last thing we need to promote on a public site is illegal and irresponsible actions involving gun owning rights we fight so hard to protect.

Thread not over

dmb454ss

Jan 27, 2008
    Waldorf
    My friends son uses a .223 to hunt with and if he does not put a good shot on it, makes for a long day of tracking. We are trying to get him comfortable with at least a .243. Would rather be safe and ethical and use a larger cal.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I know a guy who regularly shot deer with a 22 rifle at 50 yards. Always head shots. He hated md and now takes people on safaris in Botswana. Was a Boer from South Africa.

Thread sooo over

So that made him what other than a stupid ******* that didn't care if an animal suffered and many were never found? :rolleyes: Can a 22 kill a deer? Sure but does it make for a humane shot....hardly. I( doubt he would find ANY state that allows a 22 rimfire a legal deer weapon.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    So that made him what other than a stupid ******* that didn't care if an animal suffered and many were never found? :rolleyes: Can a 22 kill a deer? Sure but does it make for a humane shot....hardly. I( doubt he would find ANY state that allows a 22 rimfire a legal deer weapon.

I walked away from the thread for a few minutes to take care of a few things and kept wondering if indeed any state does allow 22 rimfire for deer hunting. I can't see how it's possibly legal anywhere in the U.S. It's foolish, inhumane, and honestly stupid to hunt deer with a 22. I put money that the 22 mentioned was also sticking out of the window of a truck with another guy holding a spot light yelling "shoot!".

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I walked away from the thread for a few minutes to take care of a few things and kept wondering if indeed any state does allow 22 rimfire for deer hunting. I can't see how it's possibly legal anywhere in the U.S. It's foolish, inhumane, and honestly stupid to hunt deer with a 22. I put money that the 22 mentioned was also sticking out of the window of a truck with another guy holding a spot light yelling "shoot!".

Perfect! :thumbsup: But remember, the ******* in question is also a Boer and now hunts pygmies with blow darts nowaday. ;)

dmb454ss

Jan 27, 2008
    Waldorf
    I do know a guy that hunts on the runway of Dulles airport to keep the deer off and they will only let him use a 22mag. So I guess that is about the only legal example I can think of. Other than that use a larger caliber and make a humane kill.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Not legal in MD to hunt deer with.

Page 16 of the Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping 2011-2012
    Rifle Regulations
    Bulletin 3
    "Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds."

Yeah the 1000 I quoted was a typo. My point was the 40 grainers would be illegal in any firearm.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore

In several villages in Alaska the Natives will wait until a herd crosses the river and drive their boat into the crowd. They pat down the animals to find some nice fat ones, then press a .22 to the head. Quick and humane with zero meat damage. They harvest a few and tow the carcasses back to the dock/beach. The most effective ones I saw (video of) had a winch on a dock boom: raise the animal, gut and bone out the carcass, and haul everything of value off; repeat. If you are not a Native, don't try this as you'll go to jail and lose your boat/plane/car/etc.

On another forum a fellow put together a list on minimum caliber for big game. According to his data AR, GA, and LA say .22 and up. A bunch say .22 Centerfire and up. MS, MO, NC, and VT don't have minimums. IANAL but always check the local laws before heading afield.

Last edited:

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    In several villages in Alaska the Natives will wait until a herd crosses the river and drive their boat into the crowd. They pat down the animals to find some nice fat ones, then press a .22 to the head. Quick and humane with zero meat damage. They harvest a few and tow the carcasses back to the dock/beach. The most effective ones I saw (video of) had a winch on a dock boom: raise the animal, gut and bone out the carcass, and haul everything of value off; repeat. If you are not a Native, don't try this as you'll go to jail and lose your boat/plane/car/etc.

On another forum a fellow put together a list on minimum caliber for big game. According to his data AR, GA, and LA say .22 and up. A bunch say .22 Centerfire and up. MS, MO, NC, and VT don't have minimums. IANAL but always check the local laws before heading afield.

.22 rimfire and up?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

That isn't the same as taking deer at 50 yards with a 22. Yes, a 22 pressed to the head would do most anything with some exceptions.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    If you REALLY want to hunt with your AR, just get a 300 AAC Blackout upper and call it a day. 125gr super sonics will meet power with a 16in barrel (1360 ftlbs).

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    No problemo

A .223 with good hunting bullet properly placed will easily drop smallish eastern whitetails up to 100 yds. The DNR is aware that killing power is a combination of velocity, mass and proper expansion, which is why they specified the minimum in foot pounds and not caliber. It's all about bullet placement. In fact I could kill a deer with my BB gun if I wanted to ;-) Well okay maybe I won't go that far. To the poster who thinks a 400 grain arrow will do more damage than a .223, have you heard of hydrostatic shock? Check out YouTube for .223 tests in ballistic gel for penetration and wound channel. One test with v-max bullets shows a 3-4" diameter wound cavity. There is no way an arrow can do that much damage. A poor shot with a .300 magnum is only going to wound the animal and leave it to die hours or days later. I once saw a group of hunters open up on a herd of western mule deer. Later I spotted a doe running full tilt a half mile away with her entire digestive tract dragging ten feet behind her. I'm sure the caliber used was more than adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom