• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    Hey guy's, I'm working on my very first AR build. Below is a picture of where I am with it so far. I'm excited!

I just ordered a barrel kit from Del-Ton. It does say Heavy Profile when I look at the description. At the risk of asking a stupid question, could you guys just take a quick look at this link and tell me I didn't miss some important detail and this is MD legal?

https://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KT1004

Thanks in advance!

Here's my Build so far:

IMG_0931._JPG.jpg

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Wow. A 20' kit. I guess that barrel sure gonna be pretty heavy. Nice sight radius though. Might be a little hard to focus on the front sight though. :)

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Wow. A 20' kit. I guess that barrel sure gonna be pretty heavy. Nice sight radius though. Might be a little hard to focus on the front sight though. :)

Not a bad length for what looks to be a rifle build vice carbine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Seriously though, could a rifle with a 20 foot long barrel actually fire? In general a longer barrel allows more time for the pressure of the expanding gasses to accelerate the projectile, but the barrel also imparts some drag on the bullet. I bet the gasses would cool too much and stop expanding at a sufficient rate for the bullet to exit the barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seriously though, could a rifle with a 20 foot long barrel actually fire? In general a longer barrel allows more time for the pressure of the expanding gasses to accelerate the projectile, but the barrel also imparts some drag on the bullet. I bet the gasses would cool too much and stop expanding at a sufficient rate for the bullet to exit the barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

It's a "Super Barrel" :lol2:

ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    Seriously though, could a rifle with a 20 foot long barrel actually fire?

Wasn't that a Mythbuster's Episode?

Seriously though, I noticed that mistake in the title as soon as I posted it and I don't think it's possible to edit the title. At least I couldn't figure out how to. I guess I'm stuck with a 20 foot barrel. Anybody want to help me carry it?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wasn't that a Mythbuster's Episode?

Seriously though, I noticed that mistake in the title as soon as I posted it and I don't think it's possible to edit the title. At least I couldn't figure out how to. I guess I'm stuck with a 20 foot barrel. Anybody want to help me carry it?

I use one of these. They are a BIG help.

Attachments

• ORD_FH-77B05_L52_155mm_Artillery_lg.jpg
      ORD_FH-77B05_L52_155mm_Artillery_lg.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 407

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Dr. Fackler of US military ballistics fame screwed together a 14' (may have that incorrect but it was LLLLONGGGG!) 32 ACP barrel doing tests on velocity. The barrel was actually suppoted on stands. Caliber may be incorrect but you get he picture.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

No way, it should be simple to keep the front sight and the target in focus at the same time.

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    My 16" HBAR kit from DelTon weighs in at 59.5 ozs. on my scale, thats all parts in kit combined.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Looks good OP. Just wondering if you have been able to shoot your Delton build yet? I'm looking for some more recent feedback on their kits. I'm on the fence about buying a 20" kit myself.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I just switched a RRA CAR HBAR assembly for the 16" NATO profile upper I had. I feel no appreciable difference in weight or handling. I did, however, lose the option of using a Colt Knight's Armament railed 2 piece handguard assembly due to the increased barrel diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom