• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I know there's a million threads on this topic,but I prefer to here straight from you guys!
    Those who own them, what's yalls opinion? Any regrets, complaints?
    I'm gonna buy one next week, just wanted to see if y'all could talk me out of spending another 2600 lol

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Not even gonna try to talk you out of it. Sounds like a good deal too. Haven't even seen a used one under $3k

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    About the only criticism I have of it is that I didn't like the buttstock when it first came out. I don't know if they have changed it since. The Magpul stock for the Bushmaster ACR can be adapted to fit. Depending on your tolerance for mediocre triggers on expensive rifles, I'd consider the Geissele Super SCAR trigger. They can be overgassed so you might need to throw a screw with a smaller port in there.

So I guess my point is that SCAR 17s are neat guns but the cost to upgrade and customize them to your taste and comfort gets rather steep relative to something like a large frame AR. If you are either okay with some compromises on a $2600 gun or you don't mind dropping another $1000+ on upgrades and optics, then I think you'll really enjoy the rifle.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Love mine !! 2600 is a steal. Run mine suppressed most of the time. I have several ar10s but they are safe queens after I got my scar !!

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    After shooting a several of them, I'd go $2600 for one in a heartbeat, although I think @fbi_surveillance_van's comment about the oddly mediocre trigger on such a pricey gun is spot-on.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Good price. For legal sale / transfer in MD believe you will need it with muzzle break as it already has a folding stock. This is addressed on MSP banned long gun database.

Excerpt from MSP
    Manufacturer
    **Fabrique NationaleDescription**

FN Scar

Status
    **Not BannedJustification*

Not Regulated by StatueDate of Status**10/1/2013

Notes

Depending on configuration as it has a folding stock. A flash suppressor or grenade launcher would make it banned

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Incidentally you can probably resell it for at least $2600 if you end up disliking it, so your losses would be minimal.

jjsat

Apr 14, 2014
    Montgomery Co., MD
    I love my Scar 17. It is expensive but so are many of the finer things in life. Accurate, light, soft shooting, easy to maintain, reliable. Holds it value very very well. Tons of fun to shoot. There are basically two camps-- people who own Scars and those who wish they did--LOL

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    It's an awesome rifle. I love mine. Light weight, easy recoil for a 308, customizable to your taste, and your coat would be hard to pass up. As was stated earlier, you could resell and not take a loss if, for some reason, you didn't like it.

A few cons. It can be expensive to mod. The trigger is not all that great. I put in a G Super SCAR trigger and it's fantastic. If your lucky, you can find them on sale for $250. Average is $300-$325 new. The SCAR 17 is known to destroy cheap optics. Loss of zero and destroyed electronics is common. This is due to the forward recoil impulse of the massive bolt carrier. For some, the stock isn't all that great. I like it but others prefer the KDG stock. Those that have installed the KDG stock have had issues with stripped screws when swapping the stock. There have also been issues with the screws being canted when installing the the plate for the stock from what I've seen and read. Others have also mentioned the FN customer service can be hit or miss.

There was one recent issue of someone who had an issue of the bolt binding in the carrier. It is "suspected" that it was caused by shooting surppressed. The individual contacted FN and he was told that they do not warranty the SCAR being fired suppressed. The only suppressor they recommend is one they sell to mil/Leo that is not available to the civ market.

I don't have a suppressor so I've never fired mine that way. But outside of everything mentioned, I love the rifle. My 16 is stock except for the flash hider and the 17 has the Giessele trigger and a flash hider. If you're not planning on changing everything you possibly can after you get it, I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    You guys are enablers :) great opinions! The only upgrades I plan on doing are changing the but stock to a KDG and after swallowing this purchase buying a fixed 4x Elcan. I'd love to have the 1.5x6, but can't afford to do both at the same time and the fixed is half the cost of the variables. Also I've heard about the trigger, but I don't have any after market triggers in any of my rifles so I'm just gonna try to learn how to use it.

FN just released a 20inch barrel for the SCAR which looks promising

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I forgot to add that magazines are unique to the SCAR 17 unless you're willing to buy an aftermarket trigger module (lower receiver). The aftermarket lowers will accept PMags, KAC SR-25 mags, and a few others. The factory SCAR mags are not cheap. Average of $40 apiece although they can be found cheaper. I've bought them new for $33 for the 20 rounders. It's a little easier for me living out of state being able to order online. But you can always visit a gun show or dealer across the state line to find what you need. There are 10 round FN mags out there but I have no experience buying them.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    My 16 and 17. The 16 was bought in Maryland in 2010 before the silliness got worse. I bought the 17 after I moved.

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpg
      IMG_1858.jpg
      136.9 KB · Views: 825

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Nice pic of ridiculous cool-factor looking guns!

Haha! Thanks. They look like ass without optics since I sent my eotechs back. And living in a somewhat free state, I blow money on other stuff for the collection before I ever get back to these for new optics.

The OP has the right idea with the Elcan. I need to get one for my 17 as well.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I forgot to add that magazines are unique to the SCAR 17 unless you're willing to buy an aftermarket trigger module (lower receiver). The aftermarket lowers will accept PMags, KAC SR-25 mags, and a few others. The factory SCAR mags are not cheap. Average of $40 apiece although they can be found cheaper. I've bought them new for $33 for the 20 rounders. It's a little easier for me living out of state being able to order online. But you can always visit a gun show or dealer across the state line to find what you need. There are 10 round FN mags out there but I have no experience buying them.

I have everything shipped to my out of state adress and once I go home I bring everything back. I don't 10 round mags lol

And the dealer I'm purchasing the SCAR through has the magazines for 33 new

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I have everything shipped to my out of state adress and once I go home I bring everything back. I don't 10 round mags lol

And the dealer I'm purchasing the SCAR through has the magazines for 33 new

Sounds like a good deal and you have everything figured out. Enjoy the new toy when you get it.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    If you end up not liking it you can always break even (or get close to) from selling it; the FDE ones seem to hold their value well.

I've had mine for 10 months and really like the way it shoots and handles; watch out for that reciprocating charging handle though.

In case you haven't already found out, the SCAR 17 has a reputation of being harsh on scopes; has something to do with the shock generated by the bolt carrier returning into battery.

Though some might debate this, the stock "flash suppressing compensator" had to be removed on mine before it could be transferred to me in Maryland. All because the manufacture (PWS) designated the muzzle device to have flash suppressing abilities.

Here is a good video describing the SCAR 17 in more detail than most would ever care to know about it:

https://youtu.be/TqpEsoHY2iQ

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Great rifle. I have shot my friends and it was the cat's meow (the older guys will get that description, but it means it's the $hit). For me it was either the SCAR or the LWRC REPR. Very close, but I went with REPR. Two of my deciding factors were: 1. In my opinion FN's civilian market customer service sucks (reason I sold my FNP45 USG). 2. REPR is made by a US company on the Eastern Shore of MD. YMMV.

Great rifle at a great price, so I'd probably get it if I were you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom