• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have a Vortex PST 1x4 and am unhappy with the reticle illumination during daylight/sunshine. I called Vortex and was told two things.

1. The illuminated reticle is intended for low light situations and there is no need to use it when the sun is shining.

2. Vortex did upgrade the illumination module on the PSTs a while back, but it is impossible to know if mine has the upgrade without sending it in.

My response to #1 is that I do need the illumination, especially when shooting at black targets. Without it, the reticle blends in to the target.

I really hate to send the scope back (done it twice before for other issues which they fixed) because it cost $15 - $20 to ship/insure, and even more so because I will need to remount and zero it in. Before I do, just wanted to check others thoughts/experiences with their illuminated reticles and see how they compare.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have the same scope and concur with #1, I've never needed it during daylight. I have read of others complain the reticle is very fine and lose it on dark backgrounds but never been a problem to me. Mine seems bright enough that it would be visible against dark targets on full power.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have the same scope and concur with #1, I've never needed it during daylight. I have read of others complain the reticle is very fine and lose it on dark backgrounds but never been a problem to me. Mine seems bright enough that it would be visible against dark targets on full power.

So, you do not find it challenging to see the "very fine" reticle when shooting at a black target? Interesting. Must be a difference in they way our eyes/brains process things.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have an early 1-4x PST and it is not possible to see the illumination in broad daylight. I've never experienced an issue with the reticle disappearing against a black background but I can see how it would be possible.

It's a mid tier scope and I never really expected it to be visible except for low light conditions; most of my high end scopes also aren't visible in broad daylight. The only scope I have that is as bright as a red dot is the SWFA 1-6x HD.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have an early 1-4x PST and it is not possible to see the illumination in broad daylight. I've never experienced an issue with the reticle disappearing against a black background but I can see how it would be possible.

It's a mid tier scope and I never really expected it to be visible except for low light conditions; most of my high end scopes also aren't visible in broad daylight. The only scope I have that is as bright as a red dot is the SWFA 1-6x HD.

I do not accept the "It's a mid tier scope" excuse. Should not have anything to do with how bright the reticle is. I looked through my friends Strike Eagle 1 x 6 and his reticle is 10x as bright (that scope is less than $300).

Vortex said that as some point they did upgrade the Viper with a Bright Illumination Module. They could not tell me if mine had that module or not, but we are about to find out.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I do not accept the "It's a mid tier scope" excuse. Should not have anything to do with how bright the reticle is. I looked through my friends Strike Eagle 1 x 6 and his reticle is 10x as bright (that scope is less than $300).

Vortex said that as some point they did upgrade the Viper with a Bright Illumination Module. They could not tell me if mine had that module or not, but we are about to find out.

I own both of those... I can do a side by side photo comparison if anyone interested.

I have a Night Force NSX 2.5-10x 36mm and the illumination is definitely brighter on the PST 1-4x.

I also have a Vortex PST 2.5-10x FFP and can compare that to the 1-4x if you're interested.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well, I sent it in to them and they turned it around the same day. The work order included a note that said the scope was inspected and that all components were in working order, including the brightness of the reticle. At least they sent me a really nice T shirt.

I may be listing this thing in the classified as it is just not bright enough for me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, I sent it in to them and they turned it around the same day. The work order included a note that said the scope was inspected and that all components were in working order, including the brightness of the reticle. At least they sent me a really nice T shirt.

I may be listing this thing in the classified as it is just not bright enough for me.

Looks like we will both be listing a scope for sale pretty soon. Going to get rid of the Burris Prism scope I bought. At a fixed 3x, it just isn't working for me. I can hardly see the ballistic reticle and the markings on it are pretty much useless for me. Not really an illumination problem, but an "it just does not work for me" problem. Next on the list of scopes to try out is the Burris XTR II 1-8x. That will be after I will have to get a little bit of the auto/home repairs list accomplished before I have some time on my hands to start screwing around working on guns again.

This home ownership and parenting stuff is quite time consuming.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Looks like we will both be listing a scope for sale pretty soon. Going to get rid of the Burris Prism scope I bought. At a fixed 3x, it just isn't working for me. I can hardly see the ballistic reticle and the markings on it are pretty much useless for me. Not really an illumination problem, but an "it just does not work for me" problem. Next on the list of scopes to try out is the Burris XTR II 1-8x. That will be after I will have to get a little bit of the auto/home repairs list accomplished before I have some time on my hands to start screwing around working on guns again.

This home ownership and parenting stuff is quite time consuming.

If you don't plan on "dialing in" for distance and windage you may want to skip the exposed turrets altogether and go with something like the Night Force SHV 3-10x. I bought one a while ago for one of my ARs and liked it so much I moved it to the SCAR.

Is the XTR II made in Japan?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you don't plan on "dialing in" for distance and windage you may want to skip the exposed turrets altogether and go with something like the Night Force SHV 3-10x. I bought one a while ago for one of my ARs and liked it so much I moved it to the SCAR.

Is the XTR II made in Japan?

Well, that sucks. I knew that Burris moved some of the production overseas to the Philippines, but that was supposed to be only for the lower end scopes. Looks like the lower end line is still made in the Philippines and the higher end stuff is made in Japan.

Found this in the comments/questions section under the scope:

All Burris scopes are made in the Philippines or Japan in the case of the XTR II 1-8.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-1-8x24

So, to answer your question, it looks like the scope is made in Japan. Looks like my made in the USA Burris scopes are dinosaurs. I know Beretta Holdings owned Burris at one point. Now, I am wondering if that is still the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom