• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    A friend asked me to clean up an old Mossberg 183KD bolt action .410 shotgun.

The whole gun has rust on it so I did a complete disassembly to clean it up and get it working.

When I took the bolt apart, I found the threads on the firing pin were damaged which is why I had to use pliers to remove the nut that holds the spring in place. The nut should have been able to turn by hand using no tools and in it's present state, this is not possible.

I am now in need of a #8x40 tap and die set to chase the threads on the firing pin and inside of the nut so reassembly can be done using only my hand.

I am hoping that someone may have one that I may borrow to clean these parts up. I am in Laurel and am willing to drive to use it. Should only need about 10 minutes to clean the threads and be on my way.

It is an unusual size for most mechanical and electrical applications.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Well, I got lucky today when I visited my dad. He has quite a tool collection so I took the parts with me just in case he had the right tap and die.

He has several sets and after some searching, I found what I needed. I was able to chase the threads on both parts and they go together easily, now.

To those that checked their tool chests, I would like to extend my thanks for looking.

I am just happy that I didn't have to spend any money to fix a $75(maybe a bit high at that) gun.

hermyjoe

Feb 5, 2012
    riverdale md
    Glad it worked out. I have a couple old mossbergs, and I know they are not worth much in money. but that's doesn't always dictate their value. I now will be looking to add some additional tap and die sets to my collection.

Shoyo

Mar 27, 2018
    Glad it worked out. I have a couple old mossbergs, and I know they are not worth much in money. but that's doesn't always dictate their value. I now will be looking to add some additional tap and die sets to my collection.

I know it don't make no sense, but Mossberg is the shit! Best shotgun money can buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom