• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    OP took an entire day off of work to get together with me to help build my AR pistol. There’s not enough words to thank him. My goal was to build a pistol that looked like it was part of a matching set with my rifle. He helped me all along the way, answering questions I had regarding parts to buy, suggesting various alternatives, etc. Today was finally the day we got together and after sending 10X as much ammo down range, I’m confident that my pistols and rifle (which he also went over with a fine toothed comb) are the absolute best they could be. Thank you and I owe you one. Jon

Attachments

• 6759E117-A705-4659-A7FF-C30DA6ED9133.jpg
      6759E117-A705-4659-A7FF-C30DA6ED9133.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 283
    Last edited:

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Thanks for the help, Pete.

I recently met with 3paul10 for help with an AR pistol build. We started with a stripped lower, set of lower parts, and a complete 5.56 upper.

The upper wasn't complete for long due to Pete's thoroughness. Once the upper was stripped we did an amazing amount of work and tests in short order. For example:

- reface the upper receiver
    - shape and polish the feed ramps
    - bed the barrel with Loctite 620
    - check for 5.56 headspace
    - gauge-check the gas tube and gas key along with several pin holes
    - use a bore scope for gas block alignment
    - check torque of the carrier key screws

To the part provider's credit, all the upper and lower parts were in-spec with the possible exception of the hammer spring which we replaced. Torquing and staking the castle nut was one of the last things we did prior to lubricating the bolt carrier group.

Some function tests at the shop followed by a quick live-fire test indicated flawless operation of the pistol. A subsequent range visit with a variety of ammo and magazines showed the same reliability and surprisingly good accuracy.

I'm impressed by Pete's knowledge, generosity, collection of tools, and patience to explain things and answer questions. Thanks again, Pete!

JIm

Last edited:

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Pete... do you have tools to UN build an ar upper? Hahah but no seriously. Someone put the upper together for me so I don’t have tools.

Long story short... there’s a bullet stuck in the barrel. I would like to salvage as much as I can, even if the barrel is trash the upper and hand guard is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom