• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Special Lock Box requirement = Only rich people can have guns.

Or if they cared about safety, the city would provide them, for free.

That would be an interesting suit in and of itself.

See if the city is willing to fork over major dollars for this. My gut says they won't

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Blatant age discrimination! Us old and arthritic people cannot manipulate complicated "special lock boxes". ADA violation !

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    That would be an interesting suit in and of itself.

See if the city is willing to fork over major dollars for this. My gut says they won't

Of course they won't.

What is getting way past old is all of these lawsuits, many of which are necessitated by ******** laws created on the whims of these liberals.

Shit ain't free. Its our own money funding these lawsuits. And its our own money being directed back against us that is being used to defend against them. It's the ultimate racket.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I agree. With an as applied challenge we could have a fresh start. Get experts to speak about the failure rate of the lock boxes. Get a person with mobility issues. Get a medical expert to show how this impairs the litigants ability to open the lock box and that impacts his ability to self defense.

I would disagree with how you are going about it. Most of the 2A cases have hired experts and disputed the states reasoning with experts. Most courts have found the laws valid because they find that the issues are really political and defer to the legislature.

I would bring a facial challenge and not an as applied one. I actually think the reasoning in Jackson helps provide a perspective on how to better argue the case. It demonstrates how to separate how the law accomplishes something with the means by which it is accomplished. In Jackson, the court found that the law was valid because the law preventing the sale of hollow point ammo in a particular jurisdiction did not prevent someone from keeping and bearing that ammo in the same jurisdiction.

If you turn the argument around then you find the law was actually invalid. The benefit that SF was claiming about HP ammo was from the use of it, but because the law did not restrict the use of it, the law is not substantially related to the government interest. It is therefor invalid.

In the case of the lock law, you will find a similar argument. The harms the government claims an interest in are from other people using the firearm, but it actually restricts the owner from using it. There are laws that make it illegal for others to acquire the firearm, which already prevent unauthorized people from using the firearm.

The governments argument is essentially that of Korematsu. I am going to punish you for the actions of others. No constitutional right could survive if I can punish you for the actions of others.

You need to make better arguments. I believe the main reason SCOTUS has not taken a 2A case is due to the weak arguments presented. The only reason the NYRPA case was taken was because they do not need better arguments to resolve the case due to the unique restrictions in NYC.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I would disagree with how you are going about it. Most of the 2A cases have hired experts and disputed the states reasoning with experts. Most courts have found the laws valid because they find that the issues are really political and defer to the legislature.

I would bring a facial challenge and not an as applied one. I actually think the reasoning in Jackson helps provide a perspective on how to better argue the case. It demonstrates how to separate how the law accomplishes something with the means by which it is accomplished. In Jackson, the court found that the law was valid because the law preventing the sale of hollow point ammo in a particular jurisdiction did not prevent someone from keeping and bearing that ammo in the same jurisdiction.

If you turn the argument around then you find the law was actually invalid. The benefit that SF was claiming about HP ammo was from the use of it, but because the law did not restrict the use of it, the law is not substantially related to the government interest. It is therefor invalid.

In the case of the lock law, you will find a similar argument. The harms the government claims an interest in are from other people using the firearm, but it actually restricts the owner from using it. There are laws that make it illegal for others to acquire the firearm, which already prevent unauthorized people from using the firearm.

The governments argument is essentially that of Korematsu. I am going to punish you for the actions of others. No constitutional right could survive if I can punish you for the actions of others.

You need to make better arguments. I believe the main reason SCOTUS has not taken a 2A case is due to the weak arguments presented. The only reason the NYRPA case was taken was because they do not need better arguments to resolve the case due to the unique restrictions in NYC.

:sad20::sad20:

I keep telling you, file your own amicus brief instead of pontificating on the internet.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011

It is not true that most of the cases have hired experts.

Why would you bring a facial challenge? A storage requirement was already upheld regarding a facial challenge in Jackson (the ammo issue was only one part of the case). That would fail for sure.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    It is not true that most of the cases have hired experts.

Why would you bring a facial challenge? A storage requirement was already upheld regarding a facial challenge in Jackson (the ammo issue was only one part of the case). That would fail for sure.

I don't know what your basis for claiming most cases don't hire experts. I believe all of the AWB cases have and seems to be prevalent in others as well. I have not done an indepth analysis though.

In Jackson the court said
    In considering a city's justifications for its ordinance, we do not impose “an unnecessarily rigid burden of proof ․ so long as whatever evidence the city relies upon is reasonably believed to be relevant to the problem that the city addresses.”
    Given the deference the court is giving to the state, I suspect that the court would dismiss dueling experts as a political decision best decided by the legislature.

I would bring a facial challenge because that would give relief to everyone, not just a subset of people. While I agree using the same argument the plaintiffs presented in Jackson is sure to fail, I am advocating that the reasoning used by the Court in Jackson should be used ie there is no substantial relationship between locking gun up and protecting society in general. You need to make legal arguments rather than empirical ones.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    That is true, however after Heller, DC changed the law to remove storage restrictions.

DC still promotes the old law as "policy" in the official study guide:

"It is recommended that each registrant keep any firearm in his or her possession unloaded and either disassembled or secured by a trigger lock, gun safe, locked box, or other secure device."

yes in fact the only regulation with any teeth involving minors and a household with firearms in DC is minors that are not your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom