• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    I just returned from the indoor range with my brand new 10/22LR (base model), shooting it for the first time. Yesterday, I ran a patch through the barrel and lightly oiled the bolt action.

I ran 100 rounds through it today and had three stove piping incidents. WTH?!?!?!?

I used Fiocchi high velocity rounds -- I didn't have a choice in the matter, I live in MoCo and so had to purchase what the range sells.

Your thoughts?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Fire more rounds through it and try another (or 4-5 more) brands of ammo. 10/22 semiautomatic rifles can be very finicky with ammo.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Don’t just oil the bolt, clean it and the receiver. Bore too. Most guns are shipped with some goo on everything

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Well Ruger did have 1 big batch of bad extractors for a while. For a few dollars I'd replace it with a Kidd extractor. Or send it back for warranty repair. I have replaced a number of bad factory extractors over the last 5 years .

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    Had stovepipe issues with Remington golden bullits on 10/22. Switched to CCI mini mag cprn and they work great.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Had stovepipe issues with Remington golden bullits on 10/22. Switched to CCI mini mag cprn and they work great.

THIS ^^^^ for the win!

Also the Ruger 25 round mags CAN go bad through use. I had one that caused exactly what the OP indicated. I retired it, got a new one, now it runs like a top. WHEN I put good ammo through it. :D

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A .22LR semi-auto is not considered broken in by a competition shooter until its fired between 500-1000 rounds of hi-velocity ammo. Anything it does wrong before that is just break-in.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Well Ruger did have 1 big batch of bad extractors for a while. For a few dollars I'd replace it with a Kidd extractor. Or send it back for warranty repair. I have replaced a number of bad factory extractors over the last 5 years .

This, get Kidd or the extractor by Volquartzen

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    I’ve always used CCI Standard without issue (minus two mag issues that were mechanical).

High velocity and mini-mags are fine in 10/22’s? I was always under the impression Ruger didn’t advise mini-mags. If I’m wrong, that’s pretty cool news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I’ve always used CCI Standard without issue (minus two mag issues that were mechanical).

High velocity and mini-mags are fine in 10/22’s? I was always under the impression Ruger didn’t advise mini-mags. If I’m wrong, that’s pretty cool news.

AFAIK they are fine. My 10/22 shoots minimags better than most ammo.

I do know that CCI stingers can cause issues due to the longer case and shorter bullet

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Extractor
    Or
    Ejector
    Or
    Tight chamber
    Or
    Resistance to bolt movement

10-22 does. Or have last round bolt open unless you mod it. One way to test is to run one round at a time and verify you get last round open. Well since you can’t do that, hard to tell.

Preservative oil on the bolt and chamber can cause stove piping

Claw of extractor not grabbing rim well can cause it as it let’s go too soon

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    10/22 Takedown model

Mine was a little finicky at first but now eats just about any ammo I feed it including Golden bullets and Thunderbolts.

Attachments

• 2015-02-07_15-26-53_286.jpg
      2015-02-07_15-26-53_286.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 224

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom