• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    And now we're back to the waiting game.

I don't know how lawyers can be so patient.

I'm just going to walk into a freezer and hope that I'm not unfrozen until after the ruling.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Because they get paid by the hour.

:lol2:

Speaking of which, here is Judge Legg's order -- He signed (on March 30, 2012, docketed today) the proposed order jointly submitted by the parties last week without alteration.

Attachments

• Order.PDF
      336.6 KB · Views: 331

Bense

Jun 14, 2008
    I have a strange question.

How long does a permit last in MD? If they are issuing Wollard a 2009 permit, would it be expired or close to expired? If that is the case, does he then have to apply for another renewal while this is under appeal to CA4?

Sorry, having trouble understanding the dates.

Thanks!

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Speaking of which, here is Judge Legg's order -- He signed (on March 30, 2012, docketed today) the proposed order jointly submitted by the parties last week without alteration.

So there is a temporary stay in effect now and we have to wait to at least sometime in May to figure out what is going on?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What does it mean where it says: "The defendants are hereby permanently enjoined from enforcing (5-306(a)(5)(ii). "

Guessing that doesn't mean what I think it does,... right?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have a strange question.

How long does a permit last in MD? If they are issuing Wollard a 2009 permit, would it be expired or close to expired? If that is the case, does he then have to apply for another renewal while this is under appeal to CA4?

Sorry, having trouble understanding the dates.

Thanks!

That's not strange at all (at least not for this forum :D). The order (in para 2), provides:

Defendant Superintendent of the Maryland State Police Marcus Brown or his delegates shall promptly inform Plaintiff Raymond Woollard of the information required by the Maryland State Police to process Mr. Woollard's 2009 handgun wear and-carry permit renewal application. Upon receipt of that additional information from Mr. Woollard, Superintendent Brown or his delegates shall process Mr. Woollard's 2009 handgun wear-and-carry permit renewal application without consideration of the Good and Substantial Reason Requirement;

That says to me that Mr. Woollard has to jump through a few more hoops under 5-306 (maybe the state will want fresh prints, or references or employment information or wants Mr. Woollard's first born -- we shall see what the state wants). Then, if he otherwise qualifies without regard to G&S, Mr. Woollard gets his permit forthwith. The rest of us wait until he decides the motion for a stay. I look for a decision on that, probably, in June.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    And, follow up question. (the way I'm reading this),

This appears to state that Mr. Woollard gets his permit without G&S as defined, but... no one else????

Is that not correct?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

This appears to state that Mr. Woollard gets his permit without G&S as defined, but... no one else????

Is that not correct?

Right, the State has to process Mr. Woollard's permit. The rest of us wait for the stay motion to be decided.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008

Is that not correct?

That's how I read it, how is that legal? *Look! My cat his paracord and wants to play*

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    What does it mean where it says: "The defendants are hereby permanently enjoined from enforcing (5-306(a)(5)(ii). "

Guessing that doesn't mean what I think it does,... right?

It does mean that 5ii is dead. An actual injunction. Of course, there is a temporary stay until the motion for a stay is decided, but 5ii is a zombie

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    This blows my mind. It's like a mobius strip. Can't wait for all this to be truly over and done with. One can always hope that Gansler stops "fighting".....

It does mean that 5ii is dead. An actual injunction. Of course, there is a temporary stay until the motion for a stay is decided, but 5ii is a zombie

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    because Woolard was the party to the case, we're all just (hopefully) going to be benefitting from his victory.

the next question is, will the legislature the opportunity to put in a legislative fix before the stay and/or appeal? My guess is they won't. But we have till June-ish to find out for sure, so why not speculate idly?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom