• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    A .410 that someone has practised with and has confidence in would probably be a better choice than a 12 ga, if that person has to close their eyes and grit their teeth when they shoot it. However almost anyone should be able to shoot enough to get used to a 12 ga.

The operator, rather than the tool, is the most important part of the equation anyway.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a 20 gauge single shot loaded and ready to fire for my home defense. I have #3 buckshot loaded in the chamber. The reason I went with the 20 gauge is because it was a free hand me down from my wife's Mom. if I was buying a shotgun for home defense it would be a 12 gauge with at least a 3" chamber loaded with 00 buckshot.

Right now I am saving my money on buying another shotgun so I can get the new Kel-Tec KSG when it comes out. Obviously that will become the 1st line home defense.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a 20 gauge single shot loaded and ready to fire for my home defense. I have #3 buckshot loaded in the chamber. The reason I went with the 20 gauge is because it was a free hand me down from my wife's Mom. if I was buying a shotgun for home defense it would be a 12 gauge with at least a 3" chamber loaded with 00 buckshot.

Right now I am saving my money on buying another shotgun so I can get the new Kel-Tec KSG when it comes out. Obviously that will become the 1st line home defense.

Do you know of humans that a 2 3/4 shell won't stop?

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Everyone has their own opinion re: .410 as a home defense weapon. Personally, I have home defense weapons all over my place but the one I would grab in a tight situation is my "Judge" with a six inch barrel. I think the key to home defense with a .410 is the new Winchester PDX-1 .410 shell. I have watched demos and have shot several boxes and Boys I'm tellin' ya, you do not want to take a bellyfull of that baby. The load consists of three copper clad discs and 12 BB's. A check of the videos on U-Tube showing PDX-1 loads hitting watermelons should dispel any doubt about .410 for self defense.

I think if they really got a great shell designed for personal defence, and had a .410 long gun capable of using the small diameter as an advantage to carry more capacity, it would be pretty popular. It seems they have the loads figured out, I looked into the PDX shells. Now someone just needs to make a high capacity, compact .410 "assault shotgun" lol. Could be somewhat useful, carrying 20+ rounds of .410 in a cqb situation. Not that I would need it but it sure sounds cool in my head. Especially if it were magazine fed and could reload quick.

And eric I agree, I keep my HD scattergun loaded with 2 3/4 00 Buck. I don't think they will feel the missing 1/4 inch and laugh it off.

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    410 slugs

The .410 slug does not weigh 1/2 oz. Their weight approximates 1/5 oz., and varies from about 90 grains to 110 grains, depending on brand.

If you check out brassfetcher.com for ballistic testing they show only about five inches of penetration in gelatin due to fragmentation of the slug. That's not particularly good for HD, in my own opinion. There are better choices out there.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    I'm no expert, but I would feel safer with multiple 12 or 20 ga rounds, even if they are loaded lightly, rather than any 410 round. And with the availability of reduced recoil loads I don't see why you wouldn't go that route for HD. In a HD situation you probably won't be too concerned with recoil unless it's going to put you on your a$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom