• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland DINO movement

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A long time registered Independent here who never though of this concept. Setting myself up as a DINO and I'll see you in the voting line.

Awesome, there are many hundreds of us now, if I had to guess I'd say well over a thousand. We need a few thousand more in the right districts.

Welcome!

Have been a Dino since this was first discussed here on this board. Dist 28- everything is DEM here, but I think the Dino operation convinced Peter Murphy to leave the GA. Unfortunately, we couldn't knock him off here locally due to a very weak opponent. However, his hand picked successor went down badly. I am thinking I need to switch back temporarily to cast a vote for Cruz, but I can become DINO again after this year. Dino's supported CTWilson here and he was a top vote getter in the last primary. He is very much aware of the DINO operation. We need to call in some chips with him besides just getting him to vote the right way on the current bills. We supported him, now he should help us out.

Terrific. And although it will help some this year we are focused on the 2018 election (for Dino to make a big difference).

Completely understand wanting to stay a Republican (or Dem for that matter), to vote for the Presidential Primary. There's toughly twice as many people voting on Presidential election years. This is why we stand such a great opportunity to turn the tables in 2018; only a fraction of party line following Democrates will vote during the Peimary in 2018.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Wolf-in-Sheep.jpg

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Wilson abstained on the HB1002 passage...

(assuming this passes the Senate)
    That vote might be needed next session if Mike & Mike end up trying a veto override.

Not quite sure what all that means, but I have met with him several times re: 2A issues. I still have the card he gave me with contact info- if you need me to help with something I can do my best. He talks supportive, so we should make sure he understands what we need from him.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Not quite sure what all that means, but I have met with him several times re: 2A issues. I still have the card he gave me with contact info- if you need me to help with something I can do my best. He talks supportive, so we should make sure he understands what we need from him.

This is what we need more of. Thanks.

In short, I was commenting that he could be needed next session, in case this bill is passed through and Hogan vetoes it. There would be others that need working on, but every vote counts to block the override.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Am I the only one that saw a second wolf??

:D

There must always be two...

Good catch. That's two wolves (DINOs) out of about 20 sheep. Same as our power when voting in the Primary (10 times more powerful).

And we need at least 2000 in each district to make this work.

Should be clear now why we are starting 2.5 years in advance. We need everyone's help to break this vicious cycle of corruption the established Dems have on our state.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If we make a large enough wave the media might give us some traction. Look at the air time and column inches the Patriot Pickets got and are getting for that effort.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is what we need more of. Thanks.

In short, I was commenting that he could be needed next session, in case this bill is passed through and Hogan vetoes it. There would be others that need working on, but every vote counts to block the override.

If it passes and The Governor vetoes the bill, we need to start on that day, working on our elected officials (especially those that are back benchers and fence sitters) to plant the seeds to get them to not support a veto override.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If it passes and The Governor vetoes the bill, we need to start on that day, working on our elected officials (especially those that are back benchers and fence sitters) to plant the seeds to get them to not support a veto override.

Roger that. These are near term imperatives.

The thrust of this thread is to educate folks on how and why to reregister as Democrat, to be able to do the better good for this state.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    The thrust of this thread is to educate folks on how and why to reregister as Democrat, to be able to do the better good for this state.

This tactic is dependent on the D/R makeup of your district and is simply leveraging the absolute ease of switching party affiliation to put your vote where you think it will do the most good in any election cycle. This year I switched from D to R because I felt there are more important choices to be made in the R primary. With more local decisions coming up in 2018, I will likely switch to D again.

For those who suggest registration as a D somehow hurts the Republican party, I think that can be remedied by "voting" with your check book and your time as a campaign volunteer. In majority D districts, nothing beats going door knocking in support of a R candidate and being able to say you are a Democrat supporting them.

Mr H

Banana'd
    This tactic is dependent on the D/R makeup of your district and is simply leveraging the absolute ease of switching party affiliation to put your vote where you think it will do the most good in any election cycle. This year I switched from D to R because I felt there are more important choices to be made in the R primary. With more local decisions coming up in 2018, I will likely switch to D again.

For those who suggest registration as a D somehow hurts the Republican party, I think that can be remedied by "voting" with your check book and your time as a campaign volunteer. In majority D districts, nothing beats going door knocking in support of a R candidate and being able to say you are a Democrat supporting them.

Well said.

In 2014, as a D, I gave more money than ever before, and put in a ton of time to try and get Rs elected.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Excellent point and very true. Because of how crazy some of the districts are divided, someone might think they live in a Republican 'safe-zone', but they could actually be carved out to siphon off some votes.

I know most (or all), of the voting districts around me (central Maryland), are gerrymandered badly. Most of PG county, southern BALTIMORE county, western Anne Arundel county, large portion of Howard and Montgomery county.

We need a prioritized list of voting districts where registering as a Democrat would help conservatives (pro 2A) the most. Will you help? Anyone else want to help? If you know your district is gerrymandered and it's better to vote in the Dem primary, please list those districts here.

I'll start: D31

Mr H

Banana'd
    District 32 seems a near-perfect laboratory for DiNO...

In 2014 MDS's own Tim Walters beat the 2 incumbents in their own precincts, and nearly pulled it out overall. His support was broad, but key among them IMO were the DiNOs who beat feet for him, and shouldered a lot of the logistical load.

I was working polling places for him, as well as going door-to-door, and the reaction among voters was really interesting. I think as little as one more week, or the money to make an ad buy, would have tipped the scales.

For 2018 it's believed that, of the 4 seats in the district, as many as 3 of them may well be vacant due to retirements (one may even be due to the pressure brought by the DiNO movement). So, it becomes incumbent (no pun intended) on us to not only keep up the pressure between now and then, but to seek out good, upstanding conservative candidates (reardless of party) who will have the backbone to stand up to Mike & Mike, and Currran & Co.

Of course, the Bad Beer Brothers are vulnerable, too. Busch finished 3d in his own district, and Miller's credibility is all but shot.

Lots of opportunities in a lot of areas, but it will take people willing to commit a little time, effort, and a bit of cash, to make it happen.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Straight up republicans have held on to rural seats, elected 2 governors, and increased their numbers in the house and senate. State and national support (money, polling, groundwork by volunteers) is decided upon based on registration. If you register DINO you draw funds and time from an organization that has proven results.

The dino theory that there are "good" democrats that are going to sway the tide or somehow scare the true left wing has never been outlined as to how this would work. You guys say, if we do this then that will happen, but when?where? If you unseat one of your bogeymen, the person who takes their place will be worse in almost every instance. When you elect a "good" democrat you give the far left wing (who controls MD) judicial appointments. Honestly, I think you are not only shooting yourselves in the foot, you are shooting every conservative and every supporter of the 2nd amendment in the foot.

I'm not here to just rain on your thread, I hate to see registration taken from an organization that has proven results in the bluest of blue MD.

I see your point, but I don't believe we are going to get enough support from outside the state to change much. So we DINO. Screw up their numbers when it comes to gerrymandering, screw up their primaries, vote for the weakest candidates, and sneak enough R's into the General Assembly to support a filibuster. That's my personal goal. Right now the D's have a filibuster proof majority. If there are enough R's that aren't afraid to filibuster to prevent BS laws we win, and the state is moderated.

There are no "good democrats". If they don't do what they're told they find themselves on the basket weaving committee, get no help during election season, and find a well funded opponent who will play ball in the primary.

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm not going to go so far as to say there are "no good Dems"...

What I will say is there are no RELIABLE Dems, due to the pressures you accurately mentioned. As a result, 'sneaking' a Conservative D in will only last a very short while, but it's still better than nothing as a last resort.

We have districts where seats (both Houses) go uncontested, and the establishment loves it. Why is that? Because Rs have become conditioned that there is limited-to-no chance for those seats BECAUSE of the way the game gets played.

How ever slightly, that changed a bit in 2014, and 'they' took notice.

As for goals?

At a minimum, we need to elect enough new, reliable Rs to prevent overturning vetoes. Once that's in place, the electorate will see a changed face of the General Assembly, and 2022 might just bring a majority.

These are long games we need to play (just like the 2A fight), but the little victories on short term goals can be built on.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I'm not going to go so far as to say there are "no good Dems"...

What I will say is there are no RELIABLE Dems, due to the pressures you accurately mentioned. As a result, 'sneaking' a Conservative D in will only last a very short while, but it's still better than nothing as a last resort.

We have districts where seats (both Houses) go uncontested, and the establishment loves it. Why is that? Because Rs have become conditioned that there is limited-to-no chance for those seats BECAUSE of the way the game gets played.

How ever slightly, that changed a bit in 2014, and 'they' took notice.

As for goals?

At a minimum, we need to elect enough new, reliable Rs to prevent overturning vetoes. Once that's in place, the electorate will see a changed face of the General Assembly, and 2022 might just bring a majority.

These are long games we need to play (just like the 2A fight), but the little victories on short term goals can be built on.

I doubt you will ever see a majority, the population centers, PG MoCo, Baltimore City, and to an extent Howard County, will never support any Republican, even if it is Jesus Christ reincarnate, so getting enough of a minority to filibuster is the most viable option.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Since Bush finished third in his district I'm thinking an effective strategy would be to donate to his rivals and push Busch down to #4 and out of our hair.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    District 32 seems a near-perfect laboratory for DiNO...

In 2014 MDS's own Tim Walters beat the 2 incumbents in their own precincts, and nearly pulled it out overall. His support was broad, but key among them IMO were the DiNOs who beat feet for him, and shouldered a lot of the logistical load.

I was working polling places for him, as well as going door-to-door, and the reaction among voters was really interesting. I think as little as one more week, or the money to make an ad buy, would have tipped the scales.

For 2018 it's believed that, of the 4 seats in the district, as many as 3 of them may well be vacant due to retirements (one may even be due to the pressure brought by the DiNO movement). So, it becomes incumbent (no pun intended) on us to not only keep up the pressure between now and then, but to seek out good, upstanding conservative candidates (reardless of party) who will have the backbone to stand up to Mike & Mike, and Currran & Co.

Of course, the Bad Beer Brothers are vulnerable, too. Busch finished 3d in his own district, and Miller's credibility is all but shot.

Lots of opportunities in a lot of areas, but it will take people willing to commit a little time, effort, and a bit of cash, to make it happen.

Excellent analysis. If we could just knock out both of these, and a few others in key positions, it would dramatically break the corruption that has been destroying this state for decades.

Since Bush finished third in his district I'm thinking an effective strategy would be to donate to his rivals and push Busch down to #4 and out of our hair.

Absolutely, this is exactly the idea. Would you know what the vote differential was between Busch and the #4 person in the last election? I bet we could do it with just a couple thousand DINO's in his district. Very achievable goal.

I visited a couple gun shops in Glen Burnie today and talked about the DINO movement and how we could change things by registering and voting in the Democrat primary. I'm not surprised that people don't know about this very popular strategy. There was one guy in one of the shops I visited, he totally knew what I was talking about. Another guy said he couldn't do it 'in good conscious'. I was already leaving, but the other guy was explaining it to him that it should hurt his conscious more that he could make a difference and help the conservatives, but didn't.

Lastly, I see a lot of minorities are wising up and not just voting for anyone with a 'D' after their name. By 2022, if we do it well in 2018, we very well could see a conservative majority. Hogan is aggressively trying to fix the gerrymandering; the Dems know that making the districts 'fair' again, will upset their monopoly on marginalizing our votes.

This is why Operation DINO 2018 is so critical. Every single vote matters!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Since we are taking about Busch (District 30A), look at the numbers from the 2014 election:

Out of a 84,360 eligible voters ---> Only about 5000 people voted for Busch in the Dem Primary, whereas almost 15,000 voted for him in the General election. Demonstrating how much more important your vote is in the Democrat Primary election, but you can't vote there if you are not a registered Democrat.

This is from ballotpedia.org:

See also: Maryland House of Delegates elections, 2014
    Elections for the office of Maryland House of Delegates took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 25, 2014. Incumbent Mike Busch and Chuck Ferrar defeated Laurie Sears Deppa, Cheryl Miller, Ridg Mills, Gordon Smith and Maria Triandos in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Herb McMillan and Genevieve Lindner were unopposed in the Republican primary. Busch and McMillan defeated Ferrar and Linder in the general election for two seats.

[hide]Maryland House of Delegates District 30A, General Election, 2014
    Party Candidate Vote % Votes
    Republican Green 14,484
    Democratic Mike Busch Incumbent 27.6% 14,289
    Democratic Chuck Ferrar 23% 11,932
    Republican Genevieve Lindner 21.4% 11,100
    Total Votes 51,805

[hide]Maryland House of Delegates, District 30A Democratic Primary, 2014
    Candidate Vote % Votes
    Green check mark transparent.pngMike Busch Incumbent 39% 5,255
    Green check mark transparent.pngChuck Ferrar 21.2% 2,854
    Maria Triandos 13.8% 1,864