• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Anyone have any experience? Is it a good rifle? I have a couple 15-22s that are awesome, but completely different animal. Online reviews are ok, a few issues sprinkled in, as with any gun, but S&W seems to stand behind their guns. Any owners here with an opinion? Thanks

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Nothing bad to say here. It's a good rifle and lives up to good reviews. Pretty accurate.

Only thing I would say, which really applies to all AR-10s, watch out for proprietary parts. AR-10s are not like AR-15s. Bolts, BCG, handuard/rail, all can be proprietary. For example, you cannot slap your Aero M5 308 upper on SWMP10 lower, the pins wont mate. This is true to some degree of all AR-10s. Think about the future of your AR-10 and whether you will want to mod it.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Nothing bad to say here. It's a good rifle and lives up to good reviews. Pretty accurate.

Only thing I would say, which really applies to all AR-10s, watch out for proprietary parts. AR-10s are not like AR-15s. Bolts, BCG, handuard/rail, all can be proprietary. For example, you cannot slap your Aero M5 308 upper on SWMP10 lower, the pins wont mate. This is true to some degree of all AR-10s. Think about the future of your AR-10 and whether you will want to mod it.

I have read that some of the parts are proprietary. One of the reasons for going with the Smith & Wesson is I have really been impressed with their small guns, the 22-caliber ones which have run great for me. But they also have guns they sell to law enforcement, so if things happen and some of the smaller gun manufacturers Fall Away hopefully Smith & Wesson will still be around if I need any warranty work or parts. That's the reason for going with a big name, and the price doesn't seem too bad either.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    I’ve owned one for 4 years and consider it a a good weapon and have had no issues. The only downside I have found as previously stated by the other folks is proprietary parts making it hard to customize. That is an issue with most AR 10’s. I found Lancer mags are the best to use.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I’ve owned one for 4 years and consider it a a good weapon and have had no issues. The only downside I have found as previously stated by the other folks is proprietary parts making it hard to customize. That is an issue with most AR 10’s. I found Lancer mags are the best to use.

If I get it, I will try to get some Lancers in PA

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a boatload of Pmags, they work fine for me. I have run everything from Wolf steel to Federal Gold match through it, not had a single issue. If you decide to add the free float rail, Troy makes one that easily replaces the handguard. You will need a new gas block for that, obviously.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    i've had mine since 2013. one FTF that was fixed by spraying some lube on the bolt and interior. after that, decent. a bit heavy. not as soft as an AR15 obviously which i forgot how soft shooting those were.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Take off the SW muzzle thingy and add a better brake. It'll soften that recoil. I call it muzzle thing because its massive for a FH but not really a brake either.

Also, I noticed when I looked at the buffer and spring that the buffer has the same weight as the one in my AR15, and looks exactly the same. Buffer spring looks and feels the same too. Are they really putting an AR15 carbine buffer and spring in the SW MP10!!? Seems so! I have read that the SW MP10 gas port is smaller than typical for an AR10, which would make sense. I added a heavier buffer and springco spring to mine (plus a better brake). Mine shoots like a kitten. Incidentally, had no problem with a suppressor.

Incidentally, save that SW MP10 muzzle thing. It is super long for a muzzle FH device. If you ever need to pin/weld it to a short rifle to bring it up to 29", its very very handy!!

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I have had mine since 2013.
    Added an adjustable gas block and free floated the barrel. Changed the trigger to Geisslie SSA-E trigger.
    With an Octane suppressor mounted on it, I have killed 5 deer. The longest shot was a heart shot at around 200 yards.

Sirex