• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drfroglegs

TheFrogAssassin
    Jun 11, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I'm originally from NC, been hunting there my whole life. But I've never hunted in a residential area, always on the family farm.

Today a friend (who knows I'm a hunter) asked me if I could help him remove some deer from his house. He lives in a residential area in Montgomery County (Ambleside Dr., Potomac, 20854). He showed me some pictures, one of the deer is a MASSIVE 12-14pt buck.. This obviously sparked my interest!

My question: Is it legal to bow hunt in a residential area? If so, is there anything special I have to do?

drfroglegs

TheFrogAssassin
    Jun 11, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    read on deer hunting dnr regulations AND moco regs.

The only thing I can find is:

"Hunt, trap or shoot wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant. For archery hunters this distance is 100 yards in Harford and Montgomery counties and 50 yards in Carroll and Frederick counties."

Does this imply that I need written permission from all of his neighbors (within 100 yard radius)? Is verbal permission enough since I will not be actually hunting on their land? I know I need written permission from the land owner that I will actually be hunting on.

I can't find anything else that is relevant.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The only thing I can find is:

"Hunt, trap or shoot wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant. For archery hunters this distance is 100 yards in Harford and Montgomery counties and 50 yards in Carroll and Frederick counties."

Does this imply that I need written permission from all of his neighbors (within 100 yard radius)? Is verbal permission enough since I will not be actually hunting on their land? I know I need written permission from the land owner that I will actually be hunting on.

I can't find anything else that is relevant.

written permission.. never rely on words now a days.

check city limit ordinances also to make sure.

drfroglegs

TheFrogAssassin
    Jun 11, 2012
    Columbia, MD

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Depending on your age, you may need a hunter safety course to get a license.
    Also you aren't in Mayberry anymore. Potomac is one of the riches suburbs in US. In MD rich=liberal.

Unless the neighbors are fed up with deer eating their azaleas, they may well feel their tax dollars should be spent on deer condoms

drfroglegs

TheFrogAssassin
    Jun 11, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Depending on your age, you may need a hunter safety course to get a license.
    Also you aren't in Mayberry anymore. Potomac is one of the riches suburbs in US. In MD rich=liberal.

Unless the neighbors are fed up with deer eating their azaleas, they may well feel their tax dollars should be spent on deer condoms

hahaha.. I'm 29, I don't think I'll need a safety course.

I know what you mean about the approval. He lives in a very rich neighborhood and told me "it may be too much of a hassle" to try to convince 9 of his neighbors (within 100yrds) that they have enough of a problem to exterminate them.

I really wish I could get a shot at that buck, wow that thing was massive!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

Hunter safety requirements have been around for years.
    The critical date is you must have had a license or hunted on private property prior to July 1, 1977
    Did you not have a hunter safety course in NC?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

I know what you mean about the approval. He lives in a very rich neighborhood and told me "it may be too much of a hassle" to try to convince 9 of his neighbors (within 100yrds) that they have enough of a problem to exterminate them.

I really wish I could get a shot at that buck, wow that thing was massive!

you still need hunting license and written permission from your friend and his neighbors.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Check Maryland law about Hunter Safety requirements.
    To be exempt you need to have had a Hunting License prior to 1970-Something I believe?

1977 is the year.

Yes, a hunter safety certification is required to hunt in Maryland. If one does not have a hunter safety certificate, the chance of finding a class vacancy in Maryland this time of year is non-existant. Because it is hunting season, and all the volunteer instructors are out hunting.

However, if the prospective hunter is 17 years of age or older. Texas has an online only HE program that is accepted by Maryland (even for the HQL).

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Oh you'll have fun when your 14 pointer drags a blood trail through the neighborhood and collapses in the front yard of the most liberal bambi-lover :)

In some neighborhoods, the HOA obtains the permission slips from most of the neighbors and gives permission to a group of trustworthy bow-hunters to decimate the herd.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    how much property does this person have, its 150 yards from where you are hunting to the inhabitable buildings. From the sounds of it you would have a hard time keeping deer on the property after the shot.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You'll have to take a safety course if you didn't take one in NC. We're the same age and I had to take it a few years ago.

Once you get your license, it's definitely worth asking. I asked in my neighborhood in Derwood, MoCo. Two neighbors said yes and thought it was a great idea. One neighbor said yes as long as I'd bring him a roast. And another neighbor said no way and told me she is a vegetarian.

...the vegetarian just moved so I'm going to approach the new neighbor once the gun season ends.

Good luck and PM me if you want any help! :)

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have taken quite a few deer in a residential area that shall remain nameless---biggest problem of course is that they die anywhere they want after you arrow them. I always shed my camo when I go looking for them-once told the woman who stopped me dragging one out that it had been hit by a car. Sharing a few venison steaks helps , most consider the deer a garden destroying nuisance but Potomac might be a little tougher.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Unless you are in the metro district of MoCo or BalCo, you can even use a firearm as long as you get the written permission of anyone within 150yrds. Residential deer are so habituated to humans, you should be able to pretty much get a contact shot. Less likely to create a deer with an arrow stuck in it wandering through the neighborhood horrifying the locals. If you do get permission to hunt a neighborhood, I would call the police non-emergency number before setting up.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    This thread brings up some questions that I have been pondering. In a suburban area, is the double lung shot still the best bet? I sure would not want to cripple one with a slightly off head shot. If they are not stressed, how far will they run? What if there is a fence? I would think, if wounded, that they would not jump a fence, but I don't really know.

MG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom