• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Many years ago when I didn't know better I bought gunshow ammo in baggies. I never fired them and have been disassembling for componets. The powder that I'm discarding is a type I am not familiar with. It looks like the root beer barrels type candy. It rolls around like a barrel. It doesn't look like ball powder. If I figure out the powder I might be able to guess if has a standard or magnum primer.

paperwork351

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I wouldn't trust that stuff. I'm sure it'd be lovely sprinkled over a campfire.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I plan to dispose of the powder. My question is what does the powder resemble i.e. manufacturer. It looks like a chopped extruded powder or a barrel under 7x magnification. If I decide to reuse the primed case, would it favor a standard or magnum primer. I am familar with ball type BLC/H335/Accurate but not the extruded for a 5.56 case. I will inspect i.e case head, guage etc. A primed pull down case as it were. Unable to discern if the the primer pocket has been suaged. No primer sealer I can see so I am treating it as a gunshow reload.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Numerous different examples of extruded powders are available under the Hodgdon, IMR and Alliant labels, as well as others and also propriety sources. I could probably name 40 and maybe more extruded varieties , and there are additional sources providing product I'm not familiar with.

You are wise to dispose of the powder as you have no truly valid way short of a lab of knowing just exactly what you might have. In short, though some possibilities are perhaps much more likely than others, there's still a whole bunch of possibilities.

Regarding your remaining primed cases, the presence of an extruded powder would make me lean toward the primer being standard. That said, it would be my guess, and it's strictly a guess.

If you intend to use the primed cases, I'd be very cautious to begin with starting loads of known newly purchased powder. And starting loads to help to offset the fact that you don't know what primer you have. Especially given your unknown primers, it's best to work with suggested starting loads, and work up from there. It's recommended practice to begin with recommended starting charges in any event , even with entirely known components.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If you are planning to re-use the primed brass, remove the decapping pin before sizing the case. Primer should still be good to go. Once you start using new primers, standard is good enough. Note, I do use Russian small rifle magnum primers with my loads. They were cheap, work well and I have a lot of them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Factory loaded ammo frequently ( usually ) uses non-canister powders, which may or may not have vaguely close counterparts in consumer canister powder.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Thanks atblis. That database is little beyond me. I have decided to inspect the brass as pull down w/ primer (paperclip/case guage/etc). I will treat the primer as standard and use AA2230. The dates of the brass are 70s/80s. I bought them in the 90s. I could try to dispose as old ammunition but I don't know where. Thanks to everyone.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    SP_Ref__032_10x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom