• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    God that is beautiful...... I just got out of Civil War Rifles, but if I had to get back in I would get a 1853 Enfield. But for now I will have fun with my .40 Cal Hawken that has modern sights, is zeroed, and uses less lead and powder.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm curious, are you using CCI musket primers? I have found them to be inconsistent and only use RWS these days.

I have both. I have shot the CCI and they are not bad. My original 1963 shot 2” groups at 50 with them. They should not be causing the wild issues I’m seeing. I have shot the RWS while shooting the Enfield and properly sized Minnie’s and they still have gone wild.

Next time I’m out and I have the bedding good, I will use RWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I had trouble with my rear sight not staying down and the screw kept coming loose. JB welded the base and reworked the spring and the groups became more consistent. At least on the paper at 25 paces unlike before.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Bedded the barrel. Although I might grade my first ever bedding job a C minus the back of the breech area sure had a lot of space in it to the stock. Although improved it was when I tried out my new Moose mold with traditional Minnie and the thin skirt that groups tightened. I started at 40grains and went down to 30 and found decent groups . I need to spend some more time around this range.

This is 12 rounds at 50 yards with MCM lube sized at .577
    78cffc60bfe4c64e3a30fef289186718.jpg

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    I use the Moose mold with 44gr 3f and MCM lube in 3 different Muskets and all shoot great with this. I dip the bullets in the melted lube the more the better. Good luck

matridium

Jul 30, 2021
    My enfield kit

OK,
    So this is an Enfield 1853 Kit. Purchased through Muzzle-loaders.com and imported by Traditions. My saga started in Early December when I purchased an early Xmas present to myself and planned to work on it over the holidays when I had plenty of "ME TIME" built up to use. Well, first thing that happened is opened it up and I could not believe they shipped the barrel sitting in the stock unscrewed. First thing I did was look at the wood around the tang and sure enough, a chip. Crap, well I'll expect good Customer Service. After a few calls, Traditions said they would work on it. Well, calls and emails continued for over 5 weeks trying to find out when I'd get a replacement stock. I almost started a charge back on my Amex several times until promised I'd get a replacement. All the while "thank you for being patient at our busiest time of the year". Finally in early January, I was given a call tag to ship the whole kit back and yesterday I finally received the replacement.

Picture of the chipped stock

So I just bought a Traditions enfield kit and I’m just getting started and stumbled upon this forum and thread. Sooooo. I will post some of my build.
    I noticed on thing the barrel does not fit snug down the the stock and the bands are not tight. I noticed this during the dry fit and the front brass nose piece has a lip that raises the barrel off the stock. So my question is…. Is this normal for these kits and what are options?? I’ll post some pics later tonight

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I had to remove wood to get mine down, I still ended up glass bedding it in the end. My bands were snug once I tightened up the screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom