• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a couple of cheap SDR dongles and have wanted to try this out for a while. Using Unitrunker, DSD+, VBcable software and two SDR devices you can make a pretty nice trunking scanner. All of the software is free. After some trial and error while tweaking the setting it works very well and I've been listening to the Anne Arundel County trunking system for about a week now. Very entertaining! It's definitely worth the effort to take the time getting it up and running. I'm now looking into a better antenna setup.

Aren’t the police channels encrypted? Is the a guide that you used to help you get your setup to work?

I’ve got an SDR already getting a second one would be pretty cheap.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Aren’t the police channels encrypted? Is the a guide that you used to help you get your setup to work?

I’ve got an SDR already getting a second one would be pretty cheap.

In AACo I don't know of any that are encrypted although they probably have the capability. Some .gov LEO slots are encrypted and I remember reading here recently that DC FD slots are for whatever reason.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Here is a good place to get started. First get familiar with using the SDR in SDR# because you will need it to verify the trunking control frequencies. Practice by tuning into a local FM station and just start playing with the settings. Once familiar then you can start putting together your trunking scanner.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

I got this one for about $100:
    https://airspy.com/airspy-mini/

So far I've used it to:
    * monitor ham bands above 24 mhz
    * aircraft ads-b
    * receive weather satellite images

They sell a converter that allows you to use it down to 1 khz for $50.

In my next shack I plan on using this to monitor the airways, then switch over to my HF rig to transmit.

Their software, SDR Sharp, is great. Very easy to use.

Thanks to you both, I have some reading to do.

Hey, you've already got an SDR.

Not a cheap one either.

OK, I'm Captain Not-Obvious... my computer? What am I missing here?

:thumbsup:

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    Thanks to you both, I have some reading to do.

OK, I'm Captain Not-Obvious... my computer? What am I missing here?

:thumbsup:

Wish I had found this before I started working on my setup :) Would have saved me some time. Here is a link to a 5 part Youtube tutorial on how to set up an SDR trunking scanner. If you are already familiar with using an SDR in SDR# then you can probably skip the first two videos.

https://youtu.be/g9KJrtIO8_4

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Doing some reading...

It looks like the RTL-SDR can work from 0.5 MHz to 1.75 Ghz. So can I just plug it into my outdoor HF antenna and start listening to 80M (for example) traffic?

I see this as a great tool to help me find traffic and then tune my old HF rig to the channel to jump into the conversation. A lot cheaper then upgrading to a new rig with waterfall capabilities build into it.

Talk me off the ledge if I'm missing something.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Doing some reading...

It looks like the RTL-SDR can work from 0.5 MHz to 1.75 Ghz. So can I just plug it into my outdoor HF antenna and start listening to 80M (for example) traffic?

I see this as a great tool to help me find traffic and then tune my old HF rig to the channel to jump into the conversation. A lot cheaper then upgrading to a new rig with waterfall capabilities build into it.

Talk me off the ledge if I'm missing something.

No, you are correct. But there are a couple of caveats.

- The RTL-SDR is probably no where near as sensitive as your HF rig so you may not see some signals your HF rig could recieve.

- If you are using the SDR and your HF rig on the same antenna simultaneously you are going to have to have a device to disconnect the SDR when you transmit. These are made to either sense RF above a certain threshold or key off of the PTT.

Some people actually connect the SDR to the receive IF of their rigs through a buffer which is just an amplifier. Then tune the SDR to the offset IF frequency.

If you don't have a ready-made IF output this requires opening the rig and possibly some work with a soldering iron if a pin isn't handy. Not for the faint of heart.

Ex.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-z10000u-kit

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    13 Colonies on the Air started today. Have worked 8 so far and all on 20 meters. It's a fun mini-contest. At the very least it allows for propagation, antenna and rig tests.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Im hoping to get my antennas up this week for this event. I had a lot of fun last year doing the 13 colonies.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I've got all but PA so far and I still need the Brit and special to get a clean sweep. Bands seem open, but I think it's just more people working the event. There's also a Canada event running, as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I've got all but PA so far and I still need the Brit and special to get a clean sweep. Bands seem open, but I think it's just more people working the event. There's also a Canada event running, as well.

I haven't heard nor seen Pa in the dxsummit page. I'm trying to get all on 20 voice if possible. Will give 40 a shot later. I heard one of the bonus stations ,K2Z operating from NY, but the band changed and he dropped off into the mayhem.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I haven't heard the GB station though it has been spotted. No sight of PA. I need PA, RI, GB and the special station.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I haven't heard the GB station though it has been spotted. No sight of PA. I need PA, RI, GB and the special station.

Completed the sweep tonight. Worked the British station on 40m ssb for the completion. Big pileup up but he switched to calling by call areas.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Completed the sweep tonight. Worked the British station on 40m ssb for the completion. Big pileup up but he switched to calling by call areas.
    Congrats. I still need GB, but was too tired to stay up

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom