Any suggestions on how we can bring this sport to high schools in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hard. Not merely because of the firearm aspect, but because of the "have to train off school property" part. Air rifle and air pistol would be more do-able, I think.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Liberals would have seizures left and right here in MD. Meanwhile in free America, many high schools have trap/skeet teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Liberals would have seizures left and right here in MD. Meanwhile in free America, many high schools have trap/skeet teams.

New York and Illinois have high school teams. Even California has high school teams. Skeet/trap is far more fun, IMO than golf. Public skeet/trap courses would cost less money to taxpayers than public golf courses and more people can use them over a year than can use a golf course.

I realize it would be hard. I just wonder if there is anyone either down the shore or in western MD that has connections with a school system that might be interested. I would love to see this in the central part of the state, maybe Howard or Baltimore counties.

It seems to me that if we can't get younger shooters interested, two or three generations from now there may not be enough firearms enthusiasts left to defend our right to possess firearms.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Doesnt Linganore High have a small bore or air rifle team?

I remember going to a match there about 5 years ago and the kids were shooting in the gym.

Somehow we all made it out alive :rolleyes:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    New York and Illinois have high school teams. Even California has high school teams. Skeet/trap is far more fun, IMO than golf. Public skeet/trap courses would cost less money to taxpayers than public golf courses and more people can use them over a year than can use a golf course.

Ever been to the Clark County Shooting Complex?

Straight up BADASS property, run by the County/State. Cheap shooting, first class facility up on a hill outside of Vegas. The clay target events alone draw THOUSANDS of people every year to enjoy the complex.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Ever been to the Clark County Shooting Complex?

Straight up BADASS property, run by the County/State. Cheap shooting, first class facility up on a hill outside of Vegas. The clay target events alone draw THOUSANDS of people every year to enjoy the complex.

I haven't been for a competition, but Clark County is one of the public shooting facilities I think of when I have spoken to elected officials about building public facilities. I'm sure you won't be surprised when I get smiles and platitudes about how interesting that sounds and how they will need to look into that.

Total cash cow that would bring in more money than it would cost to run, but what do I know. I would do it privately if I could just make myself sovereign and self insured. ;)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    It's what I consider the best of the best as far as non-high end / private clubs. People around here would be clamoring to utilize something like it.

Ommelanden on steroids (for those of you reading who have been up that way).

Another cool part is you get locals who want to participate in helping to run the place/keep things nice. I know a guy who cut the grass at Ommelanden for like 15 years, got free targets out of it, vouchers for him and his wife to shoot.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It could be a Club sport
    It would not be sanctioned by the school.
    Just like Ice Hockey is

You need a state wide group to organize it, teacher sponsor at each school,insurance and lots of liability waiver forms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom