• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Hoping to get out this weekend now that I have my arm out of a sling from shoulder surgery... Still, I'll be limited to ground blinds until the New Year which I am not used to, so wish me luck!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So anyone have a blood tracker?

Saw a HUGE one. Took what I thought was a good shot. All I found was this right where it was when I shot, after hours of searching. It definitely took off at a gallop and acted hurt.

Had to of been at least 14, 15 hands at the shoulder.

Attachments

• 70D8FB43-AF88-45BD-A637-9E86B5FA0DFB.jpg
      70D8FB43-AF88-45BD-A637-9E86B5FA0DFB.jpg
      151.8 KB · Views: 310

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On a serious note, saw nothing. So damn windy could hear a thing and hard to see. Patuxent is really thick this year for most of it and of course I choose a bad spot to sit in the morning in the dark. Should have spent some time scouting.

Talked to my last backyard neighbor. He’s okay with me bow hunting back there. So my whole backwoods are now open for hunting. So much on my plate now with renovation work/finishing my basement. Probably just going to spend the next two mornings in my back woods hoping for that big 8-pt I’ve seen. I don’t have the time to drove somewhere and hunt the day away.

Might just be pointy stick hunting for me. Though I’ll probably have time In the late season to go somewhere to hunt again.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Going out tomorrow afternoon. But just realized ordered the wrong weight bullets as was out so now have to make a run to Westminster to hap baker to make sure get sighted in then from there all the way to najemoy to my lease. Ohh well beats work !!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Going out tomorrow afternoon. But just realized ordered the wrong weight bullets as was out so now have to make a run to Westminster to hap baker to make sure get sighted in then from there all the way to najemoy to my lease. Ohh well beats work !!

Yup. Today was a little frustrating for me, but it beat the hell out of being at work. Just feel bad I am putting off the laundry list of home projects I need to get done.

Since I can be fishing with my younger son as one of the things I also need to do...that might win out over hunting.

Rather be hunting than fishing...but rather be fishing than any other thing. And with my son is bonus points.

Still hoping I get lucky on my back nine next couple of mornings. Also hoping the dang wind dies down.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yup. Today was a little frustrating for me, but it beat the hell out of being at work. Just feel bad I am putting off the laundry list of home projects I need to get done.

Since I can be fishing with my younger son as one of the things I also need to do...that might win out over hunting.

Rather be hunting than fishing...but rather be fishing than any other thing. And with my son is bonus points.

Still hoping I get lucky on my back nine next couple of mornings. Also hoping the dang wind dies down.

Yep, been a ton of work around the house and 2 kids under 3 just ordered wrong weight. Had not renewed AGC as no time to use it so ohh well. Put some miles on the truck but worse things to do than range trip and hunting. I have been fortunate enough to get in some good bow sits and got a Sitka again this year so doing alright.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yep, been a ton of work around the house and 2 kids under 3 just ordered wrong weight. Had not renewed AGC as no time to use it so ohh well. Put some miles on the truck but worse things to do than range trip and hunting. I have been fortunate enough to get in some good bow sits and got a Sitka again this year so doing alright.

Nice! Sika is still my bucket list. I am thinking next year maybe I do some eastern shore public land hunting for early muzzleloader to try to bag one.

With the higher likelihood of getting some kind of deer on my own property, it makes me want to do hunting that isn’t simply “drive 10 miles and hike a mile”. Going somewhere completely different like the eastern shore or western MD has a bit more appeal. If I strike out, at least the scenery is a nice change :-)

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Saw another dead deer on I-29 today. Couldn't tell if it was a buck or not but it looks like deer are moving around here. It got warm again though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thinking I can limp over to a tree and get up it in my climber in the morning in my back woods and seeing if a buck ambles by in the morning.

Torn between that and setting up my ground blind and just shooting one of the does that come through on my property at my corn pile.

Or sleeping in and doing no hunting.

Didn’t hunt today. Fished with my soon and got a crap ton of stuff at HD to keep working on my basement. Stepped on a drywall nail and sunk it about half an inch deep in my foot. And then went fishing and walked and stood on it for hours. Hurts like hell. Up to date on my tetanus shots at least (and it bled some).

Kind of a bleh early ML for me.

Good luck to this still headed out and congrats to those who connected.

I did see a really nice 6-pt on the way back from fishing an hour ago on a neighbors property. I mean, like a mile from my house. Antlers out well past his ears. Big beam, no brow tones that I could see from 30yds away.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I was out yesterday and today in the wind. Passed on 4 bucks, and numerous does. I have a lot going on this upcoming week with essentially no free days until the 30th, and adding in processing a deer would have probably not fit in the schedule. So I wasn’t going to take a shot unless I saw a nice 8 or better.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Went out this evening, good amount of activity, but nothing great. Had a 4 maybe 5 that will add to the list if he makes it through the year. Good size on him, just needs to marinate a little longer. Wind was little high early afternoon but settled nicely down in evening.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I went out the last two mornings and saw nothing but squirrels.Went this eve and sat til almost dark with no deer seen.I thought I was holding out for a nice buck,but in the final minutes,two does came into range and I shot one of them.We eat a lot of venison,so I had to get started sometime....lol

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I'd like to thank the combine crew for timing the harvest of a nearby field with me climbing into position on muzzle loader friday. They booted out all the deer out at just the right time. Already have a taxidermy bill this year so im not that picky. His body was good enough for my freezer. The antlers will serve as a chew toy for Gut Pup. Total hunt time was about 25 minutes. He was almost 140 guts out so chunky for his age.
    UTPz4bR.jpg
    JK06rYF.jpg
    Ty3AHrO.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice!

My stand was quiet today. The does came in on my corn pile off in my clearing. I guess I got to watch them for a little while but nothing in my back woods and no bucks (well, the spike might have been over with the does).

I moved around my game cameras and nothing on the one. Granted I put it up Thursday evening. But it is pointed right at the stream crossing where I KNOW deer are going back and forth. Not sure I can get a stand right there. I can get a ground blind close enough for sure.

I think that might be where the bucks have been crossing and I saw a mess of does in the neighbor's back/side yard the other week when I went over to introduce myself and make sure he was okay with me hunting near the property line.

Put the 2nd game camera out finally in my side woods where the bucks have been coming out, hoping I can at least get an idea of how often they are coming through. Only a couple of windows facing that side of my house and I am not over there often to pattern anything. It is up hill from the stream crossing. Open woods.

I might get up in my stand this evening, but probably where I had been (not near the stream crossing). There are a couple of trails within range of the stand (one about 5yds away and one about 20) plus I can see the woods from one edge to the other so no deer can really get by without me spotting them, even if they are in my neighbor's yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom