• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    There's a fairly comprehensive list of repeaters in the DMV area here: http://tmarc.org

Yeah, I'm aware. I just thought you might know off hand. I heard one station on that repeater hail someone else yesterday. I gave it a shot and had the right tone because I could hear the repeater's holdover.

I don't know that I have the UHF repeater's info in my radio so I'll have to add that.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Android thread...

I'm trying to get my tablet to decode PSK31 from my Yeasu HT. I realize digital modes are not popular on 2M.

I have:

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (rooted and running Cyanogenmod 12.1)

USB OTG cable.

Daffodil USB sound adapter (sticker says model no US01)

DroidPSK (application bought from Google play store)

Yeasu FT-60R.

I downloaded the test PSK31 mp3 from here:
    https://www.amrron.com/2014/02/14/digital-communications-a-practical-exercise/

Sound out from the USB device works, and sounds great. I can't seem to get the mic in working. The tablet seems to prefer the on-board mic instead of the one from the USB device.

Ignoring the Yeasu right now, I connected the sound out from the USB to the mic in using a male-male 3.5mm cable. There is no sound coming in on the mic in.

If I play the PSK31 sample link above then the app decodes it and I can read the text on the tablet.

Does anyone have experience with recording audio via USB on their android device?

If this can't work then I have an old netbook from 2008 that I can use instead. Would be cool to get this working on my Android tablet though. The netbook right now has windows but I could easily reformat it with Linux and go crazy on it.

Any ideas?

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I'm sorry I don't have a more helpful reply. PSK31 is not a digital mode that is ever used on 2m FM. You might hear it on 2m SSB from a satellite, but I doubt it. The most common digital mode on 2m FM is AX.25, typically used with APRS or Winlink2000 (also the rare Packet BBS). I'd give that a try. You will almost certainly hear some APRS on 144.39.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    While it might not be what your after, you can go to WebSDR.org and find a station offering 14.070 Mhz (or another PSK31 freq. but there's usually something on 20M). You should be able to decode from your regular browser audio once you've tuned to and individual sender.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    WOOHOOO!!!!!

First ever stateside contact!!!!

I am totally stoked!

W7WA out of Tacoma, Washington.

Finally got a clear night with decent propagation. It's also Sunday here, and near midnight, so the lights and plasma TV's are off in Seoul.

Wow... I am thrilled! Never thought I'd get one, because the USA is mostly blocked-out by a small mountain less than a mile from me.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    WOOHOOO!!!!!

First ever stateside contact!!!!

I am totally stoked!

W7WA out of Tacoma, Washington.

Finally got a clear night with decent propagation. It's also Sunday here, and near midnight, so the lights and plasma TV's are off in Seoul.

Wow... I am thrilled! Never thought I'd get one, because the USA is mostly blocked-out by a small mountain less than a mile from me.

Congrats. I looked in the DX cluster websites after your last post for Korea<>US QSOs but most were, no surprise, Alaska, Pacific Coast and Hawaii. They seemed to occur mostly around 12Z.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I need to join that site and add to it in the future.

Basically anything I do farther out than China or East Russia has to be after 11pm Korea time. Too much noise otherwise, and that is when the Japanese start going to sleep. They really clog up the bands.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    ^ Nice.

Anyone on this thread have a Yaesu 817 or an Electaft KX3?

I really want to add HF abilities by year's end. And I want to stay as small and portable as possible for now.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    ^ Nice.

I really want to add HF abilities by year's end. And I want to stay as small and portable as possible for now.

I know a couple of people who have KX3's and are are really pleased with them.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    ^ Nice.

I have a KX3 and KXPA100 amp. I bought the KX3 right after I got my General ticket and worked a lot of South America on 12w. I live in a condo so the antenna isn't great. I've worked more with the amp, but never push it more than 50w because of the RF.

In hindsight, I would have bought a 100w radio like the Yaesu FT-450D instead for the first radio. Working QRP is a challenge for seasoned people much less a newbie.

I will say that I love the KX3 you don't don't need an external interface to run RTTY, CW and PSK31. It decodes and encodes (with paddles or a computer). I wrote a utility for sending/decoding digital on the KX3 which enhances what Elecraft puts out. One of these days I keep meaning to release it to the other users.

Here's a thread I started on eHam asking about the 817 vs. KX3. Watch out, it's like asking AR vs AK...

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=92479.0

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    ^ Yeah I figured that would be the case.

If the KX3 had 70 cm for sat (space station) work, I wouldn't even be asking. Then again...the 817 is a fair bit cheaper except now I've noted your filters statement. Herm. Thoughts and decisions.

I'm not ready for a permanent shack simply because of space and length of commitment to current residence.

Thanks for the thoughts and the link to your thread.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    ^ Yeah I figured that would be the case.

If the KX3 had 70 cm for sat (space station) work, I wouldn't even be asking. Then again...the 817 is a fair bit cheaper except now I've noted your filters statement. Herm. Thoughts and decisions.

I wasn't concerned about 2m/70cm since I already had a VHF/UHF radio. My opinion was "buy once, cry once". I haven't second guessed my decision to buy the KX3 over the FT-817.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I wasn't concerned about 2m/70cm since I already had a VHF/UHF radio. My opinion was "buy once, cry once". I haven't second guessed my decision to buy the KX3 over the FT-817.

I feel you there.

The thing is having the option to pack one box and have V/UHF in it is attractive to myself. Looking at inline V/UHF amps for $100~180 and HF-6m Amps for $200~350, scale-able, modular, ect, is interesting (especially for some roadshow operation).

I don't know. I'm just really thinking about what I want for my first crack at HF. There is also the route of going with a Yaesu 857 and having a mobile rig later when I upgrade.

I don't know there is a right or wrong answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom