• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlino

I learn better hands on w
    Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Does anyone know of a way to crown a muzzle (11 degrees) without having to spend $130 on tools that will only be used once?
    Thanks.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Because a good one will do it right.
    This, but if it doesn't need to be 11 degrees, and it's just a basic old barrel, you could always try the old gunsmith barrel re-crowning technique with a brass screw and some grinding compound:

[YT]qoSI_O3Oc3w[/YT]

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Does anyone know of a way to crown a muzzle (11 degrees) without having to spend $130 on tools that will only be used once?
    Thanks.

Find someone that has the tool and borrow it, or buy the tool you are looking for and re-sell it if you dont want to take it to a gunsmith..

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

Because as was said, a good one will do it correctly.

Actually, if you do want to do it yourself just to see how it goes, there is some good ideas here.

You can buy the tools, use them and try to sell them afterwards, but a lot of times that's just a big PITA and usually you will lose a couple few dollars.

If it's a rifle that you shoot on a regular basis or has some real personal value or meaning, take it in to a good smith. Crowning a barrel isn't that expensive, but if you somehow try to do it yourself and botch it, then the price will increase.

If it's an old beater rifle that you just want to practice on, I'm sure there are some good videos on the web to check out.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    It is a project I am working on.
    I'm new here, is there a project place on this forum to post pictures of a project as it progresses?
    I looked, but couldn't find such a place.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Thanks, I might try that, but I would like to go with 11 degrees if I can.
    Anyone have a tool they want to sell?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If it's a gunsmithing related project, just start a thread here in this forum.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    From Brownell:
    You would need a crown cutter, t-handle, pilot and brass ball lap. If you keep the tool you can do other bore sizes by getting the appropriate size pilot and lap, if the first isn't in the same bore diameter range.

79 (11) degree cutter: $52
    Pilot: $25
    T-handle: $15
    Lap: $14

TOTAL. $106 + shipping.

A gunsmith would charge 40% to %50 of that. If you do two with the same tooling, it has paid for itself.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Here in gunsmithing , or 2nd still acceptable choice would be in the rifle/ pistol/ shotgun subforum as indicated. C&R forum is kinda touchy about anything other than a pure restoration.

But on the initial topic , as with most thing gunsmithing and most mechanical endeavors :

If it truely is a once and only one procedure , it will cost more to get the proper tools than to pay to have it done once. After you own the tools you can't do it multiple times yourself.

There are expedient low cost ways to crown , but it won't specificall be 11 deg.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    There is a Gunsmithing forum here. Start a new thread there.

Isn't this the Gunsmithing part of the forum? I'm not sure of your meaning. Is this for gunsmiths, or people who are doing their own gunsmithing? Again, I'm a newbie. Don't want to step on any toes.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Here in gunsmithing , or 2nd still acceptable choice would be in the rifle/ pistol/ shotgun subforum as indicated. C&R forum is kinda touchy about anything other than a pure restoration.

But on the initial topic , as with most thing gunsmithing and most mechanical endeavors :

If it truely is a once and only one procedure , it will cost more to get the proper tools than to pay to have it done once. After you own the tools you can't do it multiple times yourself.

There are expedient low cost ways to crown , but it won't specificall be 11 deg.

That defeats the purpose of doing it myself.
    What is C&R forum?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That defeats the purpose of doing it myself.
    What is C&R forum?

C&R Curio and Relic.

Maybe start a thread in the rifle forum.

I think people are saying that you are asking for gunsmithing services by posting here.

You can say what you want and do what you want and post pics of your progress in a rifle thread. :)

And if your building a close range pig buster gun, you don't need an 11 degree crown.

There are much cheaper and still effective ways to clean-up the end of that barrel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This forum has been about gunsmithing services (professional) AND do it yourself gunsmithing.

IMO, the PERFECT place for this discussion.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    This forum has been about gunsmithing services (professional) AND do it yourself gunsmithing.

IMO, the PERFECT place for this discussion.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

So if I am doing an in-depth conversion, requiring a lot of gunsmithing work, should I start a post, with progress pictures on this thread, or is there a more appropriate place?
    It isn't about the gun, It is about what and how I am doing it.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom