• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I'm debating on if I want to do aluminum baffles for a .22lr form 1 can. I hear they are a BITCH to clean. Anyone have experience?

The Dip method discussion thread about July 2019 in the Watercooler:
    Here you go way back from MDS 2017 The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II > Suppressor Cleaning, ugh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jollyllama View Post

Never mind. Well done, Internet Jedi.

His method works well. Tumblers can be purchased fairly inexpensively and the time savings, plus how effective they are make it a worthy investment. Over time the .22 builds up lead deposits. You may be able to scrape carbon and fouling off, but a day will come when it starts to clog up. That will be when the tumbler will work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aps410 View Post

Found a copy in an website archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/201611040...-cleaning.html

I skipped the oven part. I just soak it in the Dot5 solution then let it drip dry. Use the suppressor then once I get home all the crud just wipes off. Anything left behind can be removed with a toothpick. Then soak again 2-3 days before using the suppressor again.

One time I fired a bunch of .22 Thunderduds on a GM9 suppressor and forgot to dip it in Dot5 when I got home. After 2 weeks I could not even take the suppressor apart. So I soaked it overnight in Dot5 and was able to take it apart the next day. I'm lazy so I just order Dot5 from Amazon. I am still on the first bottle of Dot5.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    apparently the ultrasonic cleaners and many solvents are bad for aluminum

I have been using Simple Green for Aircraft with no issues

Attachments

• D91EC411-CA56-47D1-9C31-352B08E23AB2.jpeg
      D91EC411-CA56-47D1-9C31-352B08E23AB2.jpeg
      51.3 KB · Views: 476

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The Dip method discussion thread about July 2019 in the Watercooler:
    Here you go way back from MDS 2017 The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II > Suppressor Cleaning, ugh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jollyllama View Post

Never mind. Well done, Internet Jedi.

His method works well. Tumblers can be purchased fairly inexpensively and the time savings, plus how effective they are make it a worthy investment. Over time the .22 builds up lead deposits. You may be able to scrape carbon and fouling off, but a day will come when it starts to clog up. That will be when the tumbler will work.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201611040...-cleaning.html

What do you use for tumbler medium? Not stainless steel pins, right?

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    What do you use for tumbler medium? Not stainless steel pins, right?

For .22 and 9mm:
    I don't have a tumbler so I've never done that part of the cleaning process. All I do is soak it in Dot5 a day or more before shooting and soak it in again after shooting. Most of the gunk wipes off. The rest I use a toothpick to clean out. I don't even do the oven process. Works for me.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Since this thread spans a few years I'll ask an updated newb question:
    Are there any kits in stainless or Titanium that I can machine into a suppressor or am I stuck with the cheap Aluminum solvent traps that are only good for subs or .22? I'm very close to dipping a toe into getting a couple stamps, but would like something for 5.56, 300BLK, and 9mm. All rifles, preferably able to handle supersonic as well as subs.

And yes, I'm leaning towards manufacturing one after getting a stamp, not buying a complete one from a manufacturer.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Are there any kits in stainless or Titanium that I can machine into a suppressor or am I stuck with the cheap Aluminum solvent traps that are only good for subs or .22? I'm very close to dipping a toe into getting a couple stamps, but would like something for 5.56, 300BLK, and 9mm. All rifles, preferably able to handle supersonic as well as subs.

And yes, I'm leaning towards manufacturing one after getting a stamp, not buying a complete one from a manufacturer.

I'm sure Diversified Machinery and similar sites have those options you can piece together. Took a look on https://form1suppressor.boards.net sometime. They have a lot of info.

I think the aluminum kits are fine for 9mm. The issue with a lot of the rifle builds in SS is they are damn heavy compared to commercial kits.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Question about form 1 question 11b, asking about felonies and other crimes. Question reads EVER. Does this include juvenile record? I have something on my juvenile record that qualifies, does that mean I'm ineligible?

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Question about form 1 question 11b, asking about felonies and other crimes. Question reads EVER. Does this include juvenile record? I have something on my juvenile record that qualifies, does that mean I'm ineligible?

Consult a lawyer before you file anything. The word ever does imply within your entire lifetime.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    try this

https://www.hawkinnovativetech.com/product-category/solvent-trap/

https://diversifiedmachine.us/shop/

seungkoo

Apr 4, 2020
    Nice thread! I have 2 cans in jail since April 2020. I got long ways to go so in the meantime I want to build a 30cal can.

Well here is a link to an article about people claiming that this behavior is being used for illegal purposes (witch it likely is to some degree), I found it looking for parts, Some of the comments at the bottom of it are something. lol I brought the PAP up to the kitchen table to get the SN for the form 1 and my 9yr old son goes wow I haven't seen that in a while we need to go to the range kinda made my day.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    QuietBore is now requiring you to show proof of a approved Form 1, before they will even ship you a single thing.

https://www.quietbore.com/2020/10/14/how-to-order-a-form-1-kit-from-quietbore/

How to order a form 1 kit from Quietbore

[https://secure-gravatar-com]*Preston

2 months ago

We understand with our newest updates that ordering from us may need some extra guided steps. This post will walk you through exactly how to upload the required paperwork to complete your order.

Creating a Form 1

If you have not created or been approved for an ATF Form 1 yet we highly recommend having this completed and approved before ordering our kits. (you will be required to have an approved form 1 prior to us shipping your order per ATF regulations)
    The best/easiest way to create a form 1 is with the Eforms system which can be found at eforms.atf.gov, If you need help/guidance completing this form please click*HERE FOR OUR ATF EFORM 1 WALKTHROUGH

Ordering From Quietbore

The two things we will need prior to shipping your complete kit or what the ATF dubs as main components (tubes and internals) are an approved Form 1 and copy of your drivers license/ proof of identification to verify you are the person / responsible person that matches the Eform. However we will allow orders to be placed with a submitted form 1 (not approved) but will require you to email us with your approved form 1 prior to us shipping. It is highly recommended to have the following on your computer and ready to upload before trying to place your order:

Submitted or Approved form 1 Document in .pdf form (this will be sent to you via the eform system) See sample below

Photo of drivers license or Government Issued ID in .jpg, .png or pdf form (can be a photo that is uploaded from your phone)

once you have these two items ready to go in approved file types you are ready to order.

You may submit an order with a “submitted” form 1 but we will require you to upload an Approved Form 1 prior to shipping your order. Please use this Link to upload your approved form 1 post order.

Approved Form 1 Submission

Checking Out

If you have a form 1 kit or parts listed below

Complete Kits*(all kits will be marked with the Form 1 information)*

Tubes*(all*tubes*will*be marked with the Form 1 information)*

Unfinished Internal Components*

A separate form 1 verification will appear at checkout. You will then need to simply upload the two required files in either a .pdf, .jpg or .png to complete checkout.

Once both files are uploaded the section should look like the above. PLEASE NOTE: there is a 8mb max per file size to limit the load on the website.
    If you have further questions please contact for help finishing your order!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom