• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A new SD load from Federal.

Federal Premium® Hydra-Shok® has proven itself for self-defense since 1989. Hydra-Shok® Deep™ builds off the time-tested platform with design improvements that better meet modern performance measurements. The bullet features a more robust center post and a core design that provides as much as 50 percent deeper penetration than original Hydra-Shok and competitor loads.

Features & Benefits
    • Penetrates 15 inches in bare ballistics gel—the optimal depth according to FBI standards
    • 50 percent deeper penetration than original Hydra-Shok
    • 70 percent improvement in FBI protocol score
    • Iconic center post design has been improved for better, more consistent expansion through standard barriers.
    • Consistent, specially formulated propellant
    • Extremely reliable Federal® primer

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/family/personal-defense/hydra-shok-deep/

9 mm only available in a 135 grain load.
    Is that the new normal?
    Will this replace the HST?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you are shooting .9 MM from a Glock brand Glock, you are going to need this.

You dont really need this if you carry .45 or 10mm in a Govt model 1911. If you miss the muzzle blast will get them.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    A new SD load from Federal.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/family/personal-defense/hydra-shok-deep/

9 mm only available in a 135 grain load.
    Is that the new normal?
    Will this replace the HST?

Doubt it will replace the HST which is marketed towards LEO and Military. I will HST over Hydrashok. The biggest difference is going to be price. Hydashok cheaper than HST. Looking at the price for 19.99 a box of 20 you can get better results for 4-5 dollars more going HST or Gold Dot. At 15 inches of penetration, is that not approaching over penetration

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Doubt it will replace the HST which is marketed towards LEO and Military. I will HST over Hydrashok. The biggest difference is going to be price. Hydashok cheaper than HST. Looking at the price for 19.99 a box of 20 you can get better results for 4-5 dollars more going HST or Gold Dot. At 15 inches of penetration, is that not approaching over penetration

The HST actually stands for "Hydra Shok Two." They mentioned something about a new penetration protocol so maybe 15" is the new 12" but I wondered the same thing about over penetrating.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    From my own research a and experience, which includes reading autopsy reports detailing the condition of spent bullets, the 9mm HS is a good round in 124 and 147 gr. The .40 S/W round was not good. Constant jacket separation and failure to penetrate. I think it might have been a case of just too much energy for the dated design. When I carried it in 45 it had more feeding problems than any other round I tried.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Focused on Good expansion and Great penetration.

Something about a fully opened HST or Gold Dot makes me happy. That silly penis tip thing makes it go deep but I'd rather the thing open up and rip up more on it's path to success.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    From my own research a and experience, which includes reading autopsy reports detailing the condition of spent bullets, the 9mm HS is a good round in 124 and 147 gr. The .40 S/W round was not good. Constant jacket separation and failure to penetrate. I think it might have been a case of just too much energy for the dated design. When I carried it in 45 it had more feeding problems than any other round I tried.

I could see that with a wider open tip. Just spray them with Teflon or PAM.... :innocent0

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    What's in stock. What would you that know use?

Attachments

• 20180319_170737.jpg
      20180319_170737.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 226

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That silly penis tip thing makes it go deep but I'd rather the thing open up and rip up more on it's path to success.

That's not why the post is there. When the first Hydrashoks came out, the post was there to increase expansion, even through cloth. Most hollow points of the time would get clogged up with fibers and not expand when shot through cloth. Your history lesson for the day.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If you are shooting .9 MM from a Glock brand Glock, you are going to need this.

You dont really need this if you carry .45 or 10mm in a Govt model 1911. If you miss the muzzle blast will get them.

Agreed, anyone shooting .9mm is definitely going to need all the help they can get.

:innocent0

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    What's in stock. What would you that know use?

The .357 JHP of course :). No Hornady's, have never been impressed. Good quality control, but lousy bullet design IMHO. 124gr HST is a good round too. +P and +P+ are not necessarily always good things in 9mm. Some have a tendency to expand early due to all the force and fail to penetrate.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since Racer Doug asked my druthers :

All your 9mm options would be fine . Essentially equivalent, until you start shooting through car windshield. ( To me , not a priority for typical private citizen SD ).

Your .40s&w options have a bit more contrast , while still being similar construction. The "Defense" will be a bit more controlable , a potential issue in a subcompact . Admittedly I'm not a big .40 fan , but the majority here would probably recomend the "Duty" . For me I wouldn't have a preference . ( I'd also be very open to conventional JHP in 155-165gr .)

The .357 Magnum choices are an unusual pair . The 158gr HydraShok is a deer hunting round , not particularly a SD round . The Critical Duty is interesting in that ballistically it is " medium velocity " . Depending upon the revolver you are using , and the degree of manly- man recoil you can/ wish to deal with, this can be either great news , or leaving a lot of power on the table . Literally between the two , the HydraShok is unacceptable( not all of them, just this one) , the Critical Defense by default.

For a small frame snubbie , Medium Vel is what you want on purpose . For a medium frame or larger revolver , full power 125gr JHP ( any major mfg) will be a huge increase of ( whatever you call butt stomping ability) , if you can control it .

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Since Racer Doug asked my druthers :

All your 9mm options would be fine . Essentially equivalent, until you start shooting through car windshield. ( To me , not a priority for typical private citizen SD ).

Your .40s&w options have a bit more contrast , while still being similar construction. The "Defense" will be a bit more controlable , a potential issue in a subcompact . Admittedly I'm not a big .40 fan , but the majority here would probably recomend the "Duty" . For me I wouldn't have a preference . ( I'd also be very open to conventional JHP in 155-165gr .)

The .357 Magnum choices are an unusual pair . The 158gr HydraShok is a deer hunting round , not particularly a SD round . The Critical Duty is interesting in that ballistically it is " medium velocity " . Depending upon the revolver you are using , and the degree of manly- man recoil you can/ wish to deal with, this can be either great news , or leaving a lot of power on the table . Literally between the two , the HydraShok is unacceptable( not all of them, just this one) , the Critical Defense by default.

For a small frame snubbie , Medium Vel is what you want on purpose . For a medium frame or larger revolver , full power 125gr JHP ( any major mfg) will be a huge increase of ( whatever you call butt stomping ability) , if you can control it .

Thanks Biggfoot. It's always been a crap shoot when going to purchase hollowpoints. Shops have never had what I wanted. So I'dget as close as possible. I've fired all from my pistols. Not one issue with recoil for me. My .357 I've not shot those yet. The Hydrashoks are sold as SD, I have a 4" 686+.
    Thanks also Z.

Last edited:

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Lucky Gunner has among the best details and data for ballistic gel ammo testing (https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/) that I have seen.

Original HS was often issued ammo back in my LE days but Lucky gunner tests show that it seldom expands properly and over penetrates.

HST seems looks to be improved and competitive with the other mainstream ammo brands (Remington, Winchester) that hits the sweet spot of large expansion and reliable 12-15" penetration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom