• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Today I was walking along the bluffs here in Nebraska hunting the last day of rifle season. I was hunting a new area, I guess you could say it was spot and stalk. The air was cold and snow flurries were around all afternoon.

I found some good spots to sit tomorrow when the shotgun/muzzleloader season starts. I walked down a saddle to look in the gully across from a high ridge. I had bumped several deer on the way up.

About halfway down I started hearing a deep howl. A lot deeper and lower than any of the coyote calls I usually hear at dusk and at night. It continued for a couple of minutes then stopped as I got lower down the saddle. This was a heavily wooded area. At first I thought it might have been a local trying to scare me but I also heard a deer wheezing at me from the same general area across the gully. I doubt if that deer would be around if a human was anywhere near it on that side. I think it was annoyed that I was disturbing it.

The people here on the rez are pretty superstitious and believe local folk tales of creatures that inhabit the deep woods so these areas are not traveled very often except by visiting hunters who don't know any better.

I was planning on going to that side of the gully and scouting that ridge but it was getting late and I didn't want to be back there alone in the dark with no flashlight so I headed back to the truck. Although it was cold I was getting overheated from the heavy coat I had on. I barely made it back to the truck before dark.

I'm thinking that the howl I heard was a wolf looking for it's mate or the rest of the pack. About 15 years ago I was with my nephew a few miles away and we saw a large canine in a cornfield and chased it in his truck. It was light brown and way bigger that any coyote. It disappeared down a hole in the ground and we lost sight of it.

I'm going to hunt the wolf I heard yesterday along with any deer. I know now that if I do shoot a deer I'd better make sure I get it out of the woods before I leave.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Today I was walking along the bluffs here in Nebraska hunting the last day of rifle season. I was hunting a new area, I guess you could say it was spot and stalk. The air was cold and snow flurries were around all afternoon.

I found some good spots to sit tomorrow when the shotgun/muzzleloader season starts. I walked down a saddle to look in the gully across from a high ridge. I had bumped several deer on the way up.

About halfway down I started hearing a deep howl. A lot deeper and lower than any of the coyote calls I usually hear at dusk and at night. It continued for a couple of minutes then stopped as I got lower down the saddle. This was a heavily wooded area. At first I thought it might have been a local trying to scare me but I also heard a deer wheezing at me from the same general area across the gully. I doubt if that deer would be around if a human was anywhere near it on that side. I think it was annoyed that I was disturbing it.

The people here on the rez are pretty superstitious and believe local folk tales of creatures that inhabit the deep woods so these areas are not traveled very often except by visiting hunters who don't know any better.

I was planning on going to that side of the gully and scouting that ridge but it was getting late and I didn't want to be back there alone in the dark with no flashlight so I headed back to the truck. Although it was cold I was getting overheated from the heavy coat I had on. I barely made it back to the truck before dark.

I'm thinking that the howl I heard was a wolf looking for it's mate or the rest of the pack. About 15 years ago I was with my nephew a few miles away and we saw a large canine in a cornfield and chased it in his truck. It was light brown and way bigger that any coyote. It disappeared down a hole in the ground and we lost sight of it.

I'm going to hunt the wolf I heard yesterday along with any deer. I know now that if I do shoot a deer I'd better make sure I get it out of the woods before I leave.

Awesome story telling, are you a writer?

Can't wait for the next adventure in this saga.

Weren't wolves intentionally reintroduced in a few states? Makes hunting a bit more exciting.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I found out that hunting grey wolves in Nebraska is not allowed but I think I'm going to set out my game camera to try to get pics of it.

I may take my HandyCam out there with me so you can get the visual of it too.

Last edited:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I clicked on this thread thinking it was about wolves in Maryland. That would be a real surprise! I heard a wolf in person for the first time on Vancouver Island, BC last year. What a terrific experience. They're pretty much my favorite animal. I know there are a lot of opinions out there on the wisdom of reintroduction, but I'm personally all for it. I'd add all of the unfortunately exterminated animals to that list: elk, river otter, mink, buffalo, etc. One of the saddest things I've ever read is the first chapter of Robert Morgan's biography of Daniel Boone, in which he chronicles the game Boone pursued in the 1760s in PA, MD, VA and out towards KY. Of course, I was not surprised I didn't know any of those animals ever lived around here when I read that Boone would kill 50+ big game animals per day!

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Alaska has lots of wolves...once in a great while, you can get the drop on one...

Wolf.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Alaska has lots of wolves...once in a great while, you can get the drop on one...

Wolf.jpg
    Great pic. At what approximate distance did you shoot it from? Very hard animal to get a picture of in the wild, so it's definitely got to be harder to hunt.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Today was a little like the day I heard the strange howl but the cloudy sky wasn't quite as dark and there were no snow flurries. It was still cold though so I had the heavy coat and over pants on. I took a different route and bumped a small herd of deer that were bedding on a field on the side of a hill in some tall grass. I didn't get a real good look at any of them.

I walked over to a bare field that had probably been used to grow beans this year and sat on a log on the edge of the woods hoping a deer would come down the hill to feed in one of the fields. I sat for about a half hour then decided to walk again and find a better spot.

I had limited time to do much more stalking because I wanted to go to a couple of HS basketball games tonight. So I couldn't resist going up near the spot where I had heard the howling the other day. I tried to go as quietly as I could taking only 3 or 4 steps at a time and making sure I stepped directly on the leaves and not kicking them up so I would make less noise. I got up to the top of the bluff and sure enough I bumped a large deer that was bedding at the base of the bluff.

I walked a few steps down the other side of the bluff to see if the deer had stopped. Then I heard the creature once again. This time it was making a different call:

"Who..Who..Who.Who.Who...Who".

It did this several times and something answered it from the other side of the bluff near the bottom. Now I was getting spooked again!

I tried to follow the answering call and heard a squirrel make an alarm noise but couldn't tell where it was.

I decided not to press my luck since there was more than one creature in the area and went back on the path I had taken in to my truck.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Great pic. At what approximate distance did you shoot it from? Very hard animal to get a picture of in the wild, so it's definitely got to be harder to hunt.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yea - can't really "hunt" them, they travel too broad an area in search of food. I was on a moose hunt and saw this one. Shot it at about 125 yards with my .338 WinMag.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I clicked on this thread thinking it was about wolves in Maryland. That would be a real surprise! I heard a wolf in person for the first time on Vancouver Island, BC last year. What a terrific experience. They're pretty much my favorite animal. I know there are a lot of opinions out there on the wisdom of reintroduction, but I'm personally all for it. I'd add all of the unfortunately exterminated animals to that list: elk, river otter, mink, buffalo, etc. One of the saddest things I've ever read is the first chapter of Robert Morgan's biography of Daniel Boone, in which he chronicles the game Boone pursued in the 1760s in PA, MD, VA and out towards KY. Of course, I was not surprised I didn't know any of those animals ever lived around here when I read that Boone would kill 50+ big game animals per day!

Couple a things I'm gonna give my opinion on here:

Firstly I see you are from the DC area so I'm gonna assume you live in a mainly urban area. Now I can see where reintroducing wolves into the boonies might seem like a good idea to city folk who may have romanticized the idea but they are a large highly mobile predator. Living on a small family farm in a mainly suburban area is hard enough without having to worry about wolves killing the livestock or terrorizing the family when they let the dog out or feed the chickens after dark. Not to mention the hikers/ bikers on the various trails in the area. I just don't think that would be a good thing in most of this region and I have a feeling folks living in more rural settings than mine wouldn't want wolves in their backyard either.

Second, maybe in the DC area where you live mink and river otter have been exterminated along with the elk and eastern woods buffalo but out here in Harford county I have seen mink where I live and in areas in northern part of the county. I've spoken with a county naturalist who has seen otter on Deer Creek in the northern part of the county as well.

You are right in stating there are a lot of opinions on reintroducing wolves to an area.

Those who live in an area where their lives wouldn't be impacted have a different opinion than those people who live in an area where they are likely to be affected adversely by such an action. IMO.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Why shoot a wolf if it isn't bothering domestic animal stocks or anything? I just don't get it.

Wolves are the most efficient predators o the planet, they're literally intelligent killing machines. If you don't manage their population somehow, the population of most other species in the area will decline pretty significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom