what is the most usuable 19th century rifle to buy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 4, 2015
    If you actually want 19th Century, the most affordable are properly IDed Mosin Nagants, which may have a 20th Century stamp on the receiver ring. The tang date is the production date.
    Turkish Mausers, pattern 1893 are a good second choice. Cheaper. Parts from most other Small Rings will interchange. Accessories are available.
    The Krag is a good choice, though not as cheap as either, or as durable as the MN.
    Old Trapdoors aren't outrageously priced, just make sure you either handload or buy the box that states SAFE FOR USE IN ALL RIFLES.
    The Commission Rifle works just fine, despite internet rumor to the contrary, but parts are near impossible to find and you do have to know which variants can handle factory ammo.

Federal law and ATF interpretation are very clear--made before 1899, not a firearm, may be modified into any non-NFA configuration, MUST NOT transfer through an FFL (Any more than a muzzle loader or BB gun would). But quite a few dealers can't wrap their heads around that and want to "ere on the side of caution," which is actually illegal, though I don't think ATF has ever fined anyone for a non-firearm in their bound book.

I collect all the above and others.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I like the Swiss 1889, great capacity and a really good shooter. It's huge though. I shoot cast loads out of mine, same loads I use in the 7.5x55 rifles, didn't have to change anything.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    I like the Swiss 1889, great capacity and a really good shooter. It's huge though. I shoot cast loads out of mine, same loads I use in the 7.5x55 rifles, didn't have to change anything.

Used to own one of these. Sold it due to the fact that I don't reload. Does anyone actually make new production ammo for it?

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    probably been said but an m91

Attachments

• 0926171803.jpg
      0926171803.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 83

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    probably been said but an m91
    "Imperial Tula Armament Factory" on the receiver sounds reeeeeeally grand, doesn't it?!

To this day I cannot get over the fact that all the 3-line rifle photos and owner stories I see on the internet are from Americans. Russians hardly ever try to purchase these legally.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    I was Refering to rifles that you don't need any documentation to buy so yes made before the 20th century not designed.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Is it this:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ppu-75x55-swiss-sp-174-grain-20-rounds?a=1584496

PPU makes all kinds of ammo that I never knew existed. In the basic calibers I've used, it seems to be pretty good.

No, you should not shoot 7.5x55 in a 1889 Swiss. It will likely chamber and fire, but it is much higher pressure than the round it was designed for and is dangerous. The 1889 shot the GP90, which is 7.5x53.5 and was a paper patched bullet and a lower pressure cartridge.

36,970 psi for the GP90 7.5x53.5
    45,000 psi for the GP11 7.5x55

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actual Martini- HENRY is most common in 577/450 . Comparable to .45-70 in performance, But the ammo and brass situation is a pain. A Martini-ENFIELD( different from a Enfield-Martini ) was chambered for smokless .303Brit . But was produced for only a short time, and is uncommon.

The Rem Rolling Block was and is a fine rifle . The US should have adopted it , and never even thought about creating a Trapdoor Springfield .

Was also popular civillian rifle , in addition to various mil contracts . The best for OP's criteria probably a 7x57 with pre 1899 date . 8x56R Danish might have an obscure europaen source . The very common .43Spanish , and .43 Egyptian not so much.

The good news/ bad news , is that in recent decades lots of intrest in Rolling Blocks . That means that even in no longer available cals , they have been sought out as donor actions for custom rifles, particularly for BPCR .

Likewise the various Ballard rifles , albeit they didn't have the Mil contracts . Several of the cals from back in the day are still around- .32, .38, 44WCF , .45-70, 90, & 65 . .38-55 and .32-40 were hugely popular target ctgs . .38-55 fairly available, .32-40 factory ammo on last bannana peel of limited occasional runs , so as to make .30-40 seem common .

And again decent condition ones are $$ , and rough condition has been in high demand for donor actions. Too late for inexpensive sleepers .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom