Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Civil seizures, as their used today at the state and local level, are an affront to the 5th, 8th, and 14th amendments. Hopefully we'll see a SCOTUS smackdown against the states when it's over.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Civil seizures, as their used today at the state and local level, are an affront to the 5th, 8th, and 14th amendments. Hopefully we'll see a SCOTUS smackdown against the states when it's over.

Imagine if Kavenaugh casts the deciding vote that bans them.

They will suddenly become "An Amazing Tool of Law Enforcement Taken Away."

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Imagine if Kavenaugh casts the deciding vote that bans them.

They will suddenly become "An Amazing Tool of Law Enforcement Taken Away."

It's a tool they never should have had in the first place. Its origins in Admiralty Law had it being used in cases where goods or vessels were seized for failure to pay taxes or duties, especially where vessel owners, shippers, or consignees were outside the jurisdiction of the seizing authority.

That bears little resemblance to how civil forfeiture is used today as an end run around due process for suspected, conventional domestic crime, yet it's the basis for considering the practice "long standing".

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    looks like it will be a win , case is about the 8th but the same logic (either Kavanaugh or Goursch) brought up should be brought up

What you don't think the BOR applies to states ?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    From the transcript, there are almost certainly 9 votes for incorporation. Most of the debate was around the scope. There might be two votes to limit the scope of the right, but I would say 9-0 the right is incorporated and maybe 7-2 or 6-3 whether it includes the type of forfeitures considered here (6 would say it does, I think).

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Gorsuch said as much today. I don't even think that there is any doubt about it. I think only the 3rd amendment is actually left. Kavanaugh said: "Isn't it just too late in the day to argue that any of the Bill of Rights is not incorporated?"

The second half off the second amendment still needs to be incorporated

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The second half off the second amendment still needs to be incorporated

There was a lot of debate the 2nd amendment this today. At first I thought, do they really mean that McDonald v Chicago?.

Then I got it, Alito was needling Ginsburg and the others. "Only the rights we like are incorporated."

haha.

But I think at this point, we are debating the scope of the 2nd amendment, not whether its incorporated. And interestingly, the point was made multiple times that state law and state cases prior to incorporation are largely irrelevant in determining the scope. States were allowed to do whatever they wanted. Although they might be somewhat informative as to the understanding. What matters is the scope of the Federal right and how it was understood.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Supreme Court curbs power of government to impose heavy fines and seize property

In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled to drastically curb the powers that states and cities have to levy fines and seize property, marking the first time the court has applied the Constitution’s ban on excessive fines at the state level.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/su...ates-to-impose-heavy-fines-and-seize-property

The opinion: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/17-1091_5536.pdf

GINSBURG, J., delivered the opinion of the Court

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom