• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Looking for ammo suggestions to try with my G2 Recon. 16" Stainless 1X10 barrel. I'd like to lay in a nice supply of ammo and looking for what works well for others. Not talking Match, but stuff that can be had bulk and still provide good performance and reliability.

Thanks.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Before you commit to buy anything you need to find out what your particular rifle likes to shoot. Buying a whole bunch of rounds and later finding out it does not group well is at the least disappointing. A 1:10 is not going to like match ammo anyway most likely. But you never know. My Stag SS 18" 1:8 3GH barreled upper I got for 3-gun turned out to like cheapo Wal-Mart 55g Fed .223 red box and would hit steel at 400 yards with it all day. All the 69g-77g match ammo I bought for it is still sitting on a shelf. So buy small quantities of stuff in the price range you are looking for and test it out. Then do a bulk purchase when you find something that can hit or group to 200 yards or so.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Before you commit to buy anything you need to find out what your particular rifle likes to shoot. Buying a whole bunch of rounds and later finding out it does not group well is at the least disappointing. A 1:10 is not going to like match ammo anyway most likely. But you never know. My Stag SS 18" 1:8 3GH barreled upper I got for 3-gun turned out to like cheapo Wal-Mart 55g Fed .223 red box and would hit steel at 400 yards with it all day. All the 69g-77g match ammo I bought for it is still sitting on a shelf. So buy small quantities of stuff in the price range you are looking for and test it out. Then do a bulk purchase when you find something that can hit or group to 200 yards or so.

You know he has a .308 AR-10 right?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Same deal just different caliber. I could have said 145-150g ammo, but most of that is mil-spec stuff. That is by far the cheapest to buy.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Same deal just different caliber. I could have said 145-150g ammo, but most of that is mil-spec stuff. That is by far the cheapest to buy.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Except you said his twist won't like match grade bullets. Never heard that about 1:10 twist in .308.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    1:10 or 1:11.25 is very common for match ammo, especially 175gr SMK or M118LR ammo. For match stuff, 175gr federal gold medal match is the one to use for long range stuff. Shorter ranges try the 168gr federal gold medal match.

Why not try soft point ammo if your not worried about match stuff? Winchester super x I hear is pretty good. I would buy a few boxes of whatever you are interested in (different brands) and see what groups better. Once you narrow that down, buy a few cases and call it a day.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Thanks for the response.
    Yeah, I am looking for what I should try for consideration prior to bulk buying, but it would be best if it has a bulk buy option. Not interested in Match, just good reliable ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I don't have the g2 but I do have a recon 308 and I believe the front end is the same. Mine likes anything from 165gr up to 175gr though I haven't tried anything heavier. All the NATO 147gr bulk cheapo stuff makes a pretty fireball but it's all over the paper. I would suggest a muzzle brake or comp of some sort because the short 16" barrel makes it pretty hoppy but with the muzzle device it's a really stable shooter. It's not cheap but Magtech 168gr sniper ammo always shot really well and since I started reloading for it that's pretty much what I've tried to match.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Why not try soft point ammo if your not worried about match stuff? Winchester super x I hear is pretty good. I would buy a few boxes of whatever you are interested in (different brands) and see what groups better. Once you narrow that down, buy a few cases and call it a day.

JSP bullets deform upon chambering in semi automatics, impacting accuracy.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I have a G2 MOE and shoot Perfecta and ZQ1 'cause it's locally available and cheap. Both run fine through it and group acceptably at 100 yds with my MBUS and FSB. I can repeatedly hit the steel silhouette at 300 yds with those sights and both brands as well. I haven't decided on an optic for it yet so I don't know what it's really capable of.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I've had a few DPMS LR308s over the years, and still have one. All with 16-18in barrels. My groups would start to tighten up with a 168gr bullet but really shine with a 175-180gr.
    Currently I load a 175gr SMK for targets, and a 180gr Pro Hunter for making stuff die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom