• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I grew up in PA where you had to be 12 (at least back when I was a kid). and couldn't hunt alone until your were 16. I browsed thru the Maryland book, but didn't notice anywhere unless I missed it. What is the age at which a kid can start hunting in Maryland? Seems you 14 and under have to be with an adult, but at what age can they start?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I grew up in PA where you had to be 12 (at least back when I was a kid). and couldn't hunt alone until your were 16. I browsed thru the Maryland book, but didn't notice anywhere unless I missed it. What is the age at which a kid can start hunting in Maryland? Seems you 14 and under have to be with an adult, but at what age can they start?

Define start. Mine have been in the stand and in the woods with me since they were 2.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    don't know if there is an age limit in md , they have to complete the hunter's safety course on their own .

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    My kids did hunter safety at 6,5 an 5 years old. They had been in blinds an stands from 4 on. First deer was taken at 7 years old an 8 an the little one hasn't gotten hers yet. Doves an greenheads from the first year hunting.

Biggest thing is teach weapons safety from day one. Even Nerf guns have to follow the rules.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    No age limit.

^ This

There is no minimum age to hunt in Maryland.

A child can hunt for 1 year with an apprentice license, after taking an online 8 question test.

After that year, if they want to hunt again, the child needs to successfully complete a hunter education class.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    ^ This

There is no minimum age to hunt in Maryland.

A PERSON can hunt for 1 year with an apprentice license, after taking an online 8 question test.

After that year, if they want to hunt again, the PERSON needs to successfully complete a hunter education class.
    Fixed it for you. The apprentice license has no age limit either. I introduced a grown man to waterfowling a couple years ago on his apprentice license. It's a great way for someone to try out hunting without committing too much.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Fixed it for you. The apprentice license has no age limit either. I introduced a grown man to waterfowling a couple years ago on his apprentice license. It's a great way for someone to try out hunting without committing too much.

Very true.

What I would say if it is a child, they need to be old enough to read, in theory anyway. I may have missed the instructions for the apprentice license, but since they are supposed to be answering the questions, it is probably supposed to be without help.

Apprentice license the keep in mind there is you need to be close enough to be in control of the firearm if need be. I forget the exact language, but basically in the blind or stand with them.

I would say if you want them in to hunting in general, then they'll need to be old enough to take the hunter safety class. Which is going to depend heavily on your child. They'll need to be able to read pretty well, patient, able to listen, etc.

I'd say realistically it is going to be between about 8 and 12 just depending on the kid.

There is no statutory or regulatory age for being able to hunt. I forget off the top of my head, but I think there is something in statute about hunting unsupervised even with a license IIRC (under age 16? 14?), but I could be wrong.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    There is no statutory or regulatory age for being able to hunt. I forget off the top of my head, but I think there is something in statute about hunting unsupervised even with a license IIRC (under age 16? 14?), but I could be wrong.

Once the yellow hunter safety card is in hand after successfully completing the course.

That individual can hunt unsupervised regardless of age, even if the person is 5 years old or 500 years old.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Technically speaking the age limit for hunting without any parental input is 16...... before that you require written permission of your legal guardian to buy the license and you cannot hunt without a license on public grounds.

Then there are the "junior hunt days" with seperate bag limits but also interestingly, the requirement to be accompanied by someone over 21years of age. https://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/Pages/JrHunters.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom