• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Wow. A primer broke and jammed in the space for it in the lee classic priming chamber while i was in the process of reloading yesterday’s shoot’s .45 Colt and schofield brass. Tried everything to get it out ( the primer disgorged all of its explosive material and just left the metal cap). Tried navigating the Lee site. Not easy, but will try to call tomorrow for a replacement priming chamber. Guess it might be time to step up my game if i can find a press to load .45 colt and schofield that even i can operate. Suggestions and comments welcome. What really hurts is I still have over 700 primers and 2/3# of powder. I had mentioned earlier on this site i am new to reloading. But I was having a real good time.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I've had good luck with Lee stuff until I got my Breecklock Pro progressive press, after a couple months of total frustration I broke down and got a Dillon 550C and reloading became fun again. I'm sorry I didn't get one years ago. I can still use my Lee dies and Auto Drum powder measure (witch I actually like better than the Dillon) and I kept the single stage press for rifle rounds and decap before cleaning.
    The 550c is not full progressive as you still have to manually advance each stage but the difference in quality is like Night and Day.
    Another good single stage press I really like is the Frankford M-Press, comes with a light, and has a universal shell holder system that makes it very easy to use. The only downside is that there is no priming mechanism so you have to use a hand primer or some other set-up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wow. A primer broke and jammed in the space for it in the lee classic priming chamber while i was in the process of reloading yesterday’s shoot’s .45 Colt and schofield brass. Tried everything to get it out ( the primer disgorged all of its explosive material and just left the metal cap). Tried navigating the Lee site. Not easy, but will try to call tomorrow for a replacement priming chamber. Guess it might be time to step up my game if i can find a press to load .45 colt and schofield that even i can operate. Suggestions and comments welcome. What really hurts is I still have over 700 primers and 2/3# of powder. I had mentioned earlier on this site i am new to reloading. But I was having a real good time.

Can you post a picture? I have a lee Classic, but I can’t picture where a primer would be stuck where you couldn’t get it out.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I found a replacement lee part at one of the reloading houses and ordered it. $5.99. Large primer pistol chamber. Lazarus, its the spring loaded, floating circle that is also used to seat the bullet. Trigger tuner, glad you mentioned the Dillon. Just left their website and was looking at the 550B. Didn’t see the C but will go back and look. I think I am ready. Any thoughts on the B. I am only loading 45 colt and 45 schofield, but suppose if I had a press,I might load38. Maybe 45 acp.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I found a replacement lee part at one of the reloading houses and ordered it. $5.99. Large primer pistol chamber. Lazarus, its the spring loaded, floating circle that is also used to seat the bullet. Trigger tuner, glad you mentioned the Dillon. Just left their website and was looking at the 550B. Didn’t see the C but will go back and look. I think I am ready. Any thoughts on the B. I am only loading 45 colt and 45 schofield, but suppose if I had a press,I might load38. Maybe 45 acp.

This is the one I have,
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550c-reloader_8_1_23594.html
    You really have to read the details of each one to see if it fits your goals.
    I think the BL550 is set up to load only one caliber, where the 550C is more versatile and closer to a progressive. Then they go up from there in terms of how much you really want to load.

I've had good luck with Lee stuff until I got my Breecklock Pro progressive press, after a couple months of total frustration I broke down and got a Dillon 550C and reloading became fun again. I'm sorry I didn't get one years ago. I can still use my Lee dies and Auto Drum powder measure (witch I actually like better than the Dillon) and I kept the single stage press for rifle rounds and decap before cleaning.
    The 550c is not full progressive as you still have to manually advance each stage but the difference in quality is like Night and Day.
    Another good single stage press I really like is the Frankford M-Press, comes with a light, and has a universal shell holder system that makes it very easy to use. The only downside is that there is no priming mechanism so you have to use a hand primer or some other set-up.

Let me know if you want to sell your Lee ABLP. There is a MDS couple looking for one.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Oh!

Sorry. I was tired last night. I was thinking you mean a lee Classic TURRET press. But you didn’t say that at all. Sorry.

I was also trying to figure out why you wanted to go Dillion if you had a lee Classic turret. Been enjoying my lee Classic turret. Cant load as fast as a true progressive, but IMHO fast enough and easier to setup. Also easier to load a few. Tweak things to get it where you want it. Also easier when something goes wrong (and it will occasionally). You don’t have cases in some part of the process of being loaded.

My lee Classic turret I can load up 38spc, 9mm, etc. at about 200 rounds an hour if I am really cranking it out. I don’t shoot often enough that the difference between that and 400-600 an hour of a good setup on a progressive means much to me. And again, IMHO there are saving for when things do go wrong and initial setup.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Oh!

Sorry. I was tired last night. I was thinking you mean a lee Classic TURRET press. But you didn’t say that at all. Sorry.

I was also trying to figure out why you wanted to go Dillion if you had a lee Classic turret. Been enjoying my lee Classic turret. Cant load as fast as a true progressive, but IMHO fast enough and easier to setup. Also easier to load a few. Tweak things to get it where you want it. Also easier when something goes wrong (and it will occasionally). You don’t have cases in some part of the process of being loaded.

My lee Classic turret I can load up 38spc, 9mm, etc. at about 200 rounds an hour if I am really cranking it out. I don’t shoot often enough that the difference between that and 400-600 an hour of a good setup on a progressive means much to me. And again, IMHO there are saving for when things do go wrong and initial setup.

I finally got the crushed primer out of the mechanism...the detonator separated and was not ever in play. I thought I had mangled the priming chamber but I just primed 25 rds with it and it functions. But for $5.95, I ordered a replacement.
    I think it’s time to buy a single stage loader. The accessories, though, are a little daunting to know what is needed, what is not. But I suppose I could call a company and they could walk me thru what i really need. I was looking at a Dillon 550B, I think it is. Suggestions are appreciated.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lee Classic turret. All you need to add is the lee auto primer for it. Ideally get the lee bench quick change plate system. But you don’t have to.

Then you are good to go. Just need dies and a powder measure of your choice. You can use the lee auto drum or auto disk to charge on the press.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Lee Classic turret. All you need to add is the lee auto primer for it. Ideally get the lee bench quick change plate system. But you don’t have to.

Then you are good to go. Just need dies and a powder measure of your choice. You can use the lee auto drum or auto disk to charge on the press.
    Just those items ( i have a scale)? It bolts to a table? And that’s it?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay, impact bullet puller for when you mess up, reloading manuals so you've got references, a chronograph and calipers.

But the actual LOADING, all you really need is the lee classic, the lee safety primer attachment (unless you don't mind feeding primers in to the priming cup with your fingers one-by-one) and reloading dies. Yes, it'll bolt directly to a table if you'd like to mount it that way. Bring your own bolts in that case.

The quick release bench plate is nice and IMHO attaches to your bench more securely. Even if you don't use a 2nd (or 3rd) press or need to move it out of the way sometimes.

You can get gadgets galore for it if you want.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013020843?pid=814175

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012837891?pid=548630

I use the auto drum for charging on the turret https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016832532?pid=803372

You'll almost certainly want a riser https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012822029?pid=114080

The auto drum and auto disk work on Lee's power through expander dies for pistol calibers, or on their short or long rifle powder loading die (as bottle neck cartridges generally don't have expander dies). Don't need it if you are measuring powder some other way. Does make it a lot faster though. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012822029?pid=114080 and the riser (it just just come with one IMHO. You really just need it to avoid hitting the Lee safety primer by situating the auto disk and auto drum about 2" higher) https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012822029?pid=114080

Lee bench kit https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101282199?pid=113651 and extra plates (the bench kit comes with one plate) https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012832074?pid=387085

Extra turrets for the Lee classic in case you have more than one caliber and don't want to take your dies off the turret (turret comes off with a slight twist and lift by hand. New one is the reverse. Done in a few seconds and everything is ready to go. I always double check the first round through to make sure COAL, seating and the powder amount seems right.

I have two auto drums. Eventually I might just get one auto drum for each of my common calibers like 9mm and .45acp where I am loading, 90% of the time, the same 115gr or 230gr plinking load. The auto drums, the drums can be set and easily swapped. So you can get spares cheap and have it setup for every load you'd want. But still more work to swap the drums than it is swapping the entire powder measure. So I'll likely have a 9mm and 45acp, maybe even a 38spc auto drum and then a 3rd/4th auto drum I use for everything else and swap pre-set drums when I swap on the turret for that caliber for my standard load (not going to get 50 different drums so I can have one pre-set for every single imaginable load I've ever worked up for all my powders and all my bullets for all my cartridges. I am running 12 cartridges right now. I'd end up with seriously 50+ based on just the common bullet and powder combos. But for example, my standard 9mm load is a 115gr RMR FMJ on top of 4.2gr of BE (IIRC), my standard 38scp is a 158gr coated SWC 158gr MB on top of 3.4gr of BE, my common .45acp is a 230gr FMJ on top of 5gr BE, common 30 carbine is a 110gr FMJ on top of 14.5gr H110. And so on for a lot of calibers. But I run CFE pistol sometimes, other bullets, etc. Rifle is a lot more complex, though it is almost all CFE 223 I am loading (except .30-06 and 30 carbine). I've got 55gr, 62gr, 69gr and 75gr I am loading for 223/5.56. 120 and 123 BTHP and 123 ELD-M in 6.5 grendel. 308 is just silly with SPFB 150gr, 147 AND 150gr FMJBT, 165gr SPFB and 158gr BTHP, 155gr BTHP, 175gr BTHP. Oh and I think I might also have 168gr A match in there. A couple different powders on top of CFE223.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    But, the lee classic is not as fast as a true progressive. But, IMHO it is a lot less and in my mind it has plenty of upsides. You want to run a Dillon 550 and swap calibers? At a minimum you need their dies and caliber conversion kit, that is $55 on top of the their dies.

If you want to quick swap, you need their tool head also, which is $28 vs the $12-14 turret for the Lee classic. If you go all Dillon and stick with their powder measure, then you are looking at ~$140 for the quick swap stuff, plus the $55 for the shell tray in the caliber you want.

Ignoring the dies, I'd be in for about $1400+ for a 550 to quick swap everything around, ignoring the powder measure part and assuming I just went with a Lee auto drum like I am doing now (and you can do with a Dillon, at least the 550). I could sure load a lot faster. But I am in about $350 on the lee classic and the dozen turrets, plus safety primer and quick bench attachment. I've added a light ($25) and inline fabrication ejector system for the less classic and some DIN rails to my reloading bench to hold some akro bins to load cases and bullets from as well as catch loaded rounds when the inline ejector system kicks them out at the end. I think I am up to under $450. Of course add in a pair of auto drums and some spare drums (I'll need 1-2 more auto drum powder measures and probably a pair of auto drum 4-packs to go with my auto drums to get things setup exactly how I want).

But I can reload at 200 rounds an hour when I am cranking, vs 400-600 if things are running right with a progressive press. I shoot between 1000-2000 center fire rounds a year. But across a LOT of calibers. Just figuring in time spent verifying and what not the first couple/few rounds and setup and swapping, at best I'd be saving myself 3-6hrs in reloading time a year by having a progressive press if it runs right all the time, vs my lee classic. Now if I was loading up 500+ rounds per MONTH and especially if they were the same 1-2 calibers, it would absolutely make perfect sense. But I am not likely to have the time or ability to head to the range a couple of times a month and haul 200-300 rounds at a time. Could be a time a progressive makes sense for me, but it doesn't any time soon.

The less classic turret sure as heck did compared to reloading on my Lyman turret, which doesn't have an auto advance and I was charging rounds off the press and hand priming. At best cranking out something like 9mm or 38spc I was managing about 60 rounds an hour going as fast as I could. Adding in the lee APP made things a lot faster by sizing and expanding through the Lee App, then hand priming and then charging and seating the bullet on my Lyman. I was probably averaging 100 rounds an hour. The Lee APP still makes a ton of sense for rifle rounds as I can swage primer pockets on 5.56 and 7.62 quickly on all my cartridges. Plus lube up a couple of trays of catridges and then resize real quick on the APP. then I can go through and check for trim length on them all, trim those that need it and then be set to charge, seat and crimp on the lee classic turret. A lot slower than pistol rounds on it for sure, but all of the prep steps you really need to do on a progressive slow that way down also. Unless you want to spend $$$ for a larger progressive and do on press trim.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Another vote for the Lee Classic Turret with reverse ejector. It is my solution for quickly churning out low volume loadings of weird calibers like 6.5 Grendel and 458 SOCOM.

To be fair, the reason some of these other presses are so stupidly expensive to change is because they're doing a lot more. Toolhead+dies+conversion kit+case feeder plate+maybe bullet feeder conversion adds up real quick, even moreso when you're also talking more dies in the first place.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Very true. I guess my summary is, if you shoot a LOT, a true progressive is the way to go as you’ll probably eventually get all the fun toys for it. Just make sure it can legit handle it. Would suck if you get one that won’t take a bullet and case feeder. On press case trim, etc. the later if you’ll do rifle.

IMHO, you either work up to a progressive and stop along the way realizing what you have is good enough. Or you get a dedicated progressive like a star press in just the caliber or couple calibers you load a ton of. If you’ve gotten to the point you want to get a general purpose progressive, IMHO go big. I sure haven’t been relaxing super long, but at least from the guys here and elsewhere, the percentage of guys who got a basic progressive and then decided they needed a nicer one to do ALL the things is higher than guys who got a single stage or something like the lee Classic turret and decided they needed a progressive.

Not saying there aren’t plenty of guys who have a Dillion 550 or hornady LaL progressive and wish they had a nicer do all press. But I know a lot of guys who did and then went for an even nicer one.

My last 2 cents are, unless you are weird and hate it (yes I am now name calling), the lee Classic turret is nice for odd calibers you won’t reload a ton of even if you do shoot in high volume and crave a progressive. For those few odd ball calibers, a couple calibers for a Dillion 550 is as much as the entire lee Classic...

And so you can only reload the 50 rounds you wanted to in 30 minutes going slow rather than in 5 going fast.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Lazarus. Thank you for this explanation. I looked at the lee classic turret after you posted yesterday and it seems reasonably priced and useful. I am reloading with a lee classic now, so a machine would be a help. I must say, understanding this equipment and add ons is like learning a new language. What i think i saw that i really like is a plate you can attach to a bench, slide the loader in and out of? I have an outdoor shed with a bench I could use and not leave it. Looks like this is a next project. Both amazon and midway had the stripped down presses in stock under $200. I have an elec scale, a caliper, impact bullet puller, Lyman 50th and Alliant manuals. No chronograph. I never saw me loading 38, 9, 45 acp because cost was so low per case 1000. I started because i wanted to shoot more 45 colt and it was expensive. Branched out to 45 schofield because it can be done on the 45 classic i have. 30 cal carbine would be a good rd to reload too. And thanks to erwos for his vote formthis lee classic turret machine.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Take a look at the Inline Fabrication QD mounts. Their system is slightly pricier than Lee, but is universal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus. Thank you for this explanation. I looked at the lee classic turret after you posted yesterday and it seems reasonably priced and useful. I am reloading with a lee classic now, so a machine would be a help. I must say, understanding this equipment and add ons is like learning a new language. What i think i saw that i really like is a plate you can attach to a bench, slide the loader in and out of? I have an outdoor shed with a bench I could use and not leave it. Looks like this is a next project. Both amazon and midway had the stripped down presses in stock under $200. I have an elec scale, a caliper, impact bullet puller, Lyman 50th and Alliant manuals. No chronograph. I never saw me loading 38, 9, 45 acp because cost was so low per case 1000. I started because i wanted to shoot more 45 colt and it was expensive. Branched out to 45 schofield because it can be done on the 45 classic i have. 30 cal carbine would be a good rd to reload too. And thanks to erwos for his vote formthis lee classic turret machine.

Per Erwos, I'd consider the inline QD system. I didn't go that route, because I more or less see myself sticking with Lee. But it is a bit nicer. I've got a permanent setup in my basement (I've got a 10x14 storage room all to myself for hunting and gun stuff. My wife has the sister room next to it that is 80% holiday decorations and 20% camping stuff). I do swap between my lee classic turret and lee APP. Plus how I have it mounted (harbor freight work bench) there was no good way to mount it really without blocking one of the drawers slightly. So easy to quick pop the screws and move the press slightly so I can open the drawer. I store the stuff I don't use often in it :D

I started in to reloading because my wife's uncle (only person on either side who is in to hunting and guns) gave me all of this Lyman reloading stuff from the 80s and early 90s that he got from a buddy who didn't reload and then my wife's uncle never reloaded, but never got rid of it.

That was like 3 years ago. Finally fall of 2019 I decided to start getting some stuff to reload 38spc. So I tracked down some components and dies. Reloaded a couple hundred rounds on a buddy's star press to start with and enjoyed it. I got a couple other things I needed that weren't in the kit my wife's uncle gave me, like good calipers, a digital scale and then kind of did nothing else. January-ish of 2020 I figured let me get some dies of a couple of other calibers I really want to load, like 6.5 Grendel and .308 and .30-06.

Got some primers and a little bit of powder.

And then the pandemic hit and I went "oh crap!" I got dies for almost all my other calibers, primers for them all, powder for them all, bullets for them all and started reloading back in March or April was when I started actually using my equipment. Broke down a few months ago and got the Lee APP and it was awesome and then turned around like a month later and got the lee classic turret and I've been loving it the 3 or 4 months I've had it now. I managed to score the turrets I needed for it to load all my dies up a few weeks ago after them being out of stock everywhere for months.

Been loving reloading. Even if or when prices on things like 9mm and 223 go back to sane and reloading can barely save money on them I'll probably continue to reload them. Though 223 I'll probably only load match ammo at that point. I don't love reloading rifle cartridges that much because of all the extra work. But I'll sure do it to save a penny. Though saving a literal penny a round makes no sense at 100-150 rounds an hour once you factor in all the other prep work for 223. I don't HAVE to save money to reload, but it is either saving worthwhile money, or doing it because I enjoy it.

I enjoy reloading pistol rounds a lot more. Not that I hate reloading rifle rounds. So something like 9mm I'll probably continue to reload some here and there once things are sane. Some like 32acp I might not (it is proving to be finicky as hell in my Cz50, but factory ammo isn't. So maybe I'll work it out eventually and I might just need different bullets, but of course no one has any .312 right now, other than Berry's and that is what is giving me fits. I think I just need to load it really long, but then it won't work in my Yugo 70. Bah!)

Some I'll absolutely continue like 38spc when pre-pandemic prices I can reload it for 10-12cpr for a coated lead SWC at about 200 rounds an hour and commercial ammo at best was around 20-25cpr. Same with some other stuff like 6.5 Grendel. It's price was just coming down to a good place before the pandemic (American Gunner and Frontier were around 65cpr), but I can still reload it for under 40cpr and even a really nice match or hunting load is only about 45cpr compared to around $.80-1 a round for match and hunting ammo.

7.62x25 was around 35cpr and I can reload it for 14cpr. Heck, 45acp was around 23-26cpr and I could reload it for 18cpr with FMJ and coated lead it was more like 16cpr.

And then there are todays commercial ammo prices. Wowza! Now I am saving like 3-8x the going rate by reloading. Hell, even with CURRENT component prices I am saving a good 2x or more on every single caliber, if not more for some.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Per Erwos, I'd consider the inline QD system. I didn't go that route, because I more or less see myself sticking with Lee. But it is a bit nicer. I've got a permanent setup in my basement (I've got a 10x14 storage room all to myself for hunting and gun stuff. My wife has the sister room next to it that is 80% holiday decorations and 20% camping stuff). I do swap between my lee classic turret and lee APP. Plus how I have it mounted (harbor freight work bench) there was no good way to mount it really without blocking one of the drawers slightly. So easy to quick pop the screws and move the press slightly so I can open the drawer. I store the stuff I don't use often in it :D

I started in to reloading because my wife's uncle (only person on either side who is in to hunting and guns) gave me all of this Lyman reloading stuff from the 80s and early 90s that he got from a buddy who didn't reload and then my wife's uncle never reloaded, but never got rid of it.

That was like 3 years ago. Finally fall of 2019 I decided to start getting some stuff to reload 38spc. So I tracked down some components and dies. Reloaded a couple hundred rounds on a buddy's star press to start with and enjoyed it. I got a couple other things I needed that weren't in the kit my wife's uncle gave me, like good calipers, a digital scale and then kind of did nothing else. January-ish of 2020 I figured let me get some dies of a couple of other calibers I really want to load, like 6.5 Grendel and .308 and .30-06.

Got some primers and a little bit of powder.

And then the pandemic hit and I went "oh crap!" I got dies for almost all my other calibers, primers for them all, powder for them all, bullets for them all and started reloading back in March or April was when I started actually using my equipment. Broke down a few months ago and got the Lee APP and it was awesome and then turned around like a month later and got the lee classic turret and I've been loving it the 3 or 4 months I've had it now. I managed to score the turrets I needed for it to load all my dies up a few weeks ago after them being out of stock everywhere for months.

Been loving reloading. Even if or when prices on things like 9mm and 223 go back to sane and reloading can barely save money on them I'll probably continue to reload them. Though 223 I'll probably only load match ammo at that point. I don't love reloading rifle cartridges that much because of all the extra work. But I'll sure do it to save a penny. Though saving a literal penny a round makes no sense at 100-150 rounds an hour once you factor in all the other prep work for 223. I don't HAVE to save money to reload, but it is either saving worthwhile money, or doing it because I enjoy it.

I enjoy reloading pistol rounds a lot more. Not that I hate reloading rifle rounds. So something like 9mm I'll probably continue to reload some here and there once things are sane. Some like 32acp I might not (it is proving to be finicky as hell in my Cz50, but factory ammo isn't. So maybe I'll work it out eventually and I might just need different bullets, but of course no one has any .312 right now, other than Berry's and that is what is giving me fits. I think I just need to load it really long, but then it won't work in my Yugo 70. Bah!)

Some I'll absolutely continue like 38spc when pre-pandemic prices I can reload it for 10-12cpr for a coated lead SWC at about 200 rounds an hour and commercial ammo at best was around 20-25cpr. Same with some other stuff like 6.5 Grendel. It's price was just coming down to a good place before the pandemic (American Gunner and Frontier were around 65cpr), but I can still reload it for under 40cpr and even a really nice match or hunting load is only about 45cpr compared to around $.80-1 a round for match and hunting ammo.

7.62x25 was around 35cpr and I can reload it for 14cpr. Heck, 45acp was around 23-26cpr and I could reload it for 18cpr with FMJ and coated lead it was more like 16cpr.

And then there are todays commercial ammo prices. Wowza! Now I am saving like 3-8x the going rate by reloading. Hell, even with CURRENT component prices I am saving a good 2x or more on every single caliber, if not more for some.

I have a box of 32 acp I would be happy to give you if you are close to balto or the upper eastern shore. Was given to me and I have never owned a .32, although some of the .32 mag cartridges are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom